The Emotional Roller Coaster of Losing Weight

Loosing weight is far from easy.  It takes determination, focus, sacrifice, and lots of hard work.

One of my May goals is to loose four pounds.  In the past, when I have sought to shed a couple of pounds, it has come off pretty easily.  I’ve made the decision, followed through on the changes, and I’ve seen success.  This time is a completely different story.

I made the decision to shed a couple of pounds after noticing that some of my clothes were getting tight.  There were a couple of pairs of shorts that I had hoped to wear in Florida last month that were just a tad too tight.  A couple of my pairs of pants for work have gotten a bit snug for comfort.  Its not that my clothes don’t fit anymore, some of them are just tight and I’m not happy with how I look in them.

This time around of trying to loose a few pounds is far different than any other time.  Other than last year when I was focused on getting my pre-pregnancy body back, this is the first time that I’ve sought to loose weight as a mother.  I was breastfeeding during my postpartum fitness journey, and consider myself one of the lucky ones where breastfeeding helped me to quickly shed the weight.  In fact, there were some points when I thought that I might have lost too much weight, and no matter how much I ate, I couldn’t seem to keep my milk supply up and keep weight on me.  A year later, I’m experiencing the opposite.

No matter how much time I try to find for exercising, or how closely I watch what I eat, the scale is just not budging.  I know that circumstances are different this time around than in the past.  Loosing weight for my wedding was a much easier task, and I think that I’m spending too much time and effort comparing this time around to then.  I have a child now, my job is more stressful now than it was then, and I have a house to maintain.  Six years ago I didn’t have a child, I was not teaching advanced placement classes, and I lived in an apartment.  I know that my body also went through a lot of changes both with pregnancy and then post pregnancy, and that I shouldn’t be comparing my current journey to then, but it is hard not to.

I also need to keep reminding myself that muscle weighs more than fat does, and I know that I’ve gained muscle over the past two weeks.  Since my last half marathon I’ve started spending more time than I previously did on weight and strength training.  I’ve been trying to be better about varying the exercises that I do.  I leave the gym sore, and my muscles, particularly my legs and booty, are usually even more sore the next day, which causes me to be on an emotional high, only to be brought down by not seeing the results on the scale that I want to see.  I know that weight is only a number, and I keep reminding myself of that, but it is still hard to not see the results that I’m after.

I also know that it has only been two weeks since I really started focusing on shedding these couple of pounds.  I am by no means giving up, but I’m realizing that weight loss is both a physical and an emotional roller coaster.  Some days are more successful than others.  Hopefully with continued hard work and focus I will start seeing the results that I desire.

QOTD: How do you manage the emotional side of weight loss?

This entry was posted in Training and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

44 Responses to The Emotional Roller Coaster of Losing Weight

1. PursuingMe says:

Wow, way to work so hard! Since your hope is to fit just a little bit more comfortably in your bottoms, don’t give a crap about the scale! Be proud of how you’re taking of yourself because God knows the scale doesn’t care. Don’t let it tell you that taking care of you isn’t worth it!

2. I could write essays on this to you but my short response is. Stop weighing yourself and keep strength training. I believe that’s how you make really lasting changes.

3. kookyrunner says:

I totally know how you feel. I need to lose weight after noticing that my clothing was fitting a little too tight for my comfort. I’ve been stuck at the same 2 lb weight loss for the past 2 weeks. It’s frustrating, but I just keep telling myself to stick with what I am doing and that eventually I’ll see more movement on the scale.

4. I am with Deborah on this one – I just had to stop using the scale as it was getting too frustrating. And I was like you, compared myself to 8 years ago when I got married. No kids – I was younger too. But now my focus is on the running with the hope that the excess weight will come down with time and if it doesn’t then so be it. But yeah… it really is such an emotional roller coaster!

5. Janelle @ Run With No Regrets says:

Weight loss is SO hard, and it seems much harder when you’re only trying to lose a few pounds. When I gained a bit after my stress fracture injury, I started seeing a dietitian and she really cleaned things up for me and helped me to gradually lose a few pounds. Since then, these past few years I’ve been in maintenance mode. Keep up the good work – the struggle is real, but don’t give up!

6. I feel you. Losing weight is tough, but I agree with Deborah. Don’t make it about the 4 pounds. Instead, make it about how you feel. Keep living that healthy life and you’ll be feeling better in those clothes before you know it!

7. Rachel says:

There were a couple things that really helped me lost weight. 1) no more alcohol. It was a huge waste of calories. 2) I chose protein over carbs. I stayed fuller for longer. And 3) I burned more calories than I ate.

You can do it!!

8. The weight loss struggle is real! I’ve been trying to make the same 5 lbs disappear for a while without great success. I’ve finally ditched the scale for a bit and am just focused on how my clothes are fitting. Scales are evil 🙂

9. Marcia says:

I feel you on the weight loss thing. It doesn’t get any easier and just when you think you figured it out, things change. Keep doing what you’re doing and forget about that stupid number.

10. LeeAnn says:

It would be nice if you did a post about what you are trying to do to loose those few pounds. I value your posts because you are so real (not all bloggers seem real). And I often find ideas and inspiration from others, and my pants are too tight too, so I need some inspiration!

11. Oh, I hear ya, weight loss is something I’m working on right now. I have quite a bit more to lose than you, but I keep telling people this is literally becoming the hardest thing I’ve ever done. When I was younger it was so much easier, but now it’s a struggle!
    Good luck with your goal, I know you can do it. I’ll be your cheerleader!
    I drink a lot of water and anytime I want to snack I chew a piece of peppermint gum because nothing tastes good after brushing your teeth or chewing peppermint gum and it helps a little.

12. I found it harder to lose weight after my first daughter but really easy after my second. Having said that, I still struggle to lose those 5-10 pounds that I’ve gained back recently. I think the important thing is to remain active and try to be really good with your eating. I’ve bought 1-2 pieces of second hand clothing to wear on those days when things are just too tight. Hang in there.

13. The struggle is real! I’ve gained about 5 pounds (according to the number on the scale), but most of my clothes still fit the same (some are a tad bit loose) so I know it’s muscle. Still that $%&# number on the scale is frustrating. Hang in there, and be patient. Maybe only weigh yourself once a week, or every 10 days. Your daily weight will probably fluctuate anyways (do to hydration, etc.), so daily weigh-ins are not really an accurate means of comparison.

14. I hear you!! I’m right there in the journey with you. I find that strength training is the only thing that moves the scale for me.

15. Wendy says:

This is the first time in my life where I’m starting to worry about my weight. Yes, after I gave birth and was breastfeeding, I held onto about 10 pounds. But I was ok with that, knowing I needed it to make milk. But now I’m at a different point in my life and I don’t feel like I have a great deal of control over my weight. Ugh.

16. Yeah, I understand this all too well! I recently spent several months sidelined with illness, so I couldn’t really work out hard, much less run regularly. But I kept eating like I was training for a marathon. And then my clothes stopped fitting well. Ugh. Fortunately, I’m back to running and I think my body remembers how to lose weight now. Sometimes those plateaus can take a while to get past, though! Hang in there!

17. Coco says:

It really takes persistence, doesn’t it? My real hurdle to losing weight is sticking to my plan!

18. MB Jackson says:

It is a tough journey! Keep going by how your clothes feel and not a number on the scale- You will get it!

You totally got this! I am sorry the results aren’t coming around as fast as you’d like them to, but they will!! Awesome work thus far! 🙂

20. Since we’ve moved to our new house I haven’t bought a scale. My weight is up and down but I don’t let it bother me. I lose weight especially when I’m stressed. I’ve managed to maintain close to the same weight over the last year. I try to drink just water and coffee and just say no to sweets. UGH! It’s so hard to do too!

21. I LOVE THIS POST! thank you for being so open and honest. I am in the same boat of trying to lose a few pounds and it definitely is getting harder. I look forward to your journey as I do mine as well! 🙂

22. Clarinda says:

That’s tough! I’ve never been too much of a scale person. Even when I go through periods of weighing myself every day. To me, it’s just a number. I mostly just focus on how I look and feel. That’s probably not very helpful to you, though, if you struggling with the emotional aspects of losing weight. Just keep doing what you’re doing and accept the victory of having your pants fitter better again.