May 2017 Goals

April was an absolutely incredible month.  Not only did it include a week long family vacation to Florida, but I was also incredibly active and spent quite a bit of time outside taking advantage of unseasonably warm weather here in Virginia.  This past weekend we had beautiful summer-like weather, with the high hitting the mid 80s on both Saturday and Sunday.  This gorgeous weather has been incredibly motivating in pushing me out the door and wanting to exercise outside as much as possible.

So how did I do with my April goals?

1.  Log at least 95 miles.

Grade: A

After being just short of my mileage goal for the past couple of months, I am ecstatic that I met my goal in April.  It was a very productive month when it came to staying active and logging miles.

My current 2017 mileage total is 338.1 miles.  I’m 34% of the way towards meeting my 2017 goal of 1,000 miles.  For the first time since the beginning of the year, I am just ahead of where I need to be in order to be 100% on track (about 5 miles ahead to be exact).  Wahoo!

2.  PR at the Loudoun Half Marathon.

Grade: A-

Given that I was about 20 seconds shy of PRing at last weekend’s half marathon, I’d say that my hard work definitely paid off on race day.  I’m still working on writing my race recap, and am hoping that it will be done later this week.

After crossing the finish line of last Sunday’s Loudoun Half Marathon

3.  Strength train at least two times per week.

Grade: F

I was so far off from meeting this goal last month.  I only met my goal one week last month, and all other weeks only did strength training once.  I have to do better this month.

4.  Cross train at least one time per week.

Grade: A

Unlike my strength training goal, I had zero issues meeting my cross training goal.  Part of that is because the incredibly beautiful weather last month was super motivating for spending as much time as I could outside.

5.  Keep up with my training while on vacation.

Grade: A-

Other than slacking on my strength training, I successfully kept up with my training while we were in Florida.  It was an absolute blast running both at the beach and at Disney.

I loved being able to complete a long run at the beach!

Even though I’m taking May off from official race training, that doesn’t mean that I can slack off and let my fitness go to the wayside.  In fact, I’m striving to do the complete opposite this month to order to maintain my base and to be as strong as possible when I start training for the Chicago Marathon next month.

1.  Log at least 60 miles.

Although I’ve temporarily cut back on my running in order to give myself a mental and physical break before marathon training starts, I still plan to run at least one or two times per week.  My cross training miles will also help to add up to my monthly and yearly totals.

2.  Strength train at least two times per week.

After failing to meet this goal last month, strength training needs to happen this month.  There’s no choice.

3.  Cross train at least two times per week.

Since I’ve cut back on running, this leaves me with more time to focus not only on strength training but also on cross training, both of which will help me maintain my base prior to starting marathon training.

4.  Loose 4 pounds.

Since ending my breastfeeding journey in late December, I’ve put on a couple of pounds and some of my clothes are feeling a tad tight.  Even though I’ve been quite active, I know that I haven’t been consistently making the best food choices lately.  This is especially evident at work where I’ve been lacking self restraint to avoid trips to the communal candy bowl.  I need to make smarter choices, and hopefully that in combination with cross and strength training will help me to shed the weight that I’ve recently gained.

QOTD: What are your goals for May?

I’m linking up with Ange and Carmy for the Monthly Goals linkup.  Be sure to check out their posts as well.

This entry was posted in Motivation and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

54 Responses to May 2017 Goals

1. What a fantastic month you had!! I have been sneaking in a few more unnecessary treats this month so I will also have to consciously watch what I eat this month. Good luck for May, especially with the strength training x

2. Wendy says:

Glad to see that you are happy with your month! You’re very diligent about sticking to your goals. I bet once you pick up the weight training, you’ll find that fires up the calorie burning fire like nothing else!

3. Good job with all of your goals! You’ve been consistent 😉

4. kookyrunner says:

Congrats on hitting most of your goals this month! It’s definitely hard to fit in a good amount of strength training when you’re training for a race. I’m only able to fit it in 3 times a week because I cut my running down from 4 days to 3 days.

5. Great job with your April goals – especially staying so active while on vacation! Good luck with May!

6. Rachel says:

Sounds like some good goals for May. Nice job putting April in the bag!

7. Angela says:

WELL DONE on a great month! good luck with the month ahead, I’m sure you’ll smash your goals!!

8. Great job on hitting your goals this month! I’ve been doing better at cross training the I have before so that’s been great!

9. SuzLyfe says:

A great month behind you and a great month to come! The Loudoun Wine Country Half Marathon was my first half marathon!

April does sound like a great month for you, good job with all those goals! Good luck with May too 🙂

11. Great job on your mileage for the month! I did not meet my goal and very disappointed, hey it’s May and I’m starting the month off with a half marathon this weekend! Yay!! March was a better month for me and I have not felt well for most of the month of April. I’m ready to knock out this race and just enjoy running short distance for summer!

Thankfully Friday treats are kept in the main kitchen, and I can avoid them. I’ve been trying to swap out junk snacks and carbs and going for something better.

13. Elle says:

Sounds like a terrific month to me. I wish we were having unseasonably warm weather. I think there is another Ice Age starting in Canada!

14. What a great month! It’s hard to believe it too that we’ve already completed 1/3 of the year! and 12 miles on the beach! You go girl! Great job!

15. MB Jackson says:

Great month for you! The warmer weather does make it easier to get outside and keep active. Love it! Good luck on your weight loss for May you can do it!

16. Your goals seem reasonable and doable for where you are now. I love my strength training days! My goal for May is to work on my runs off of the bike some more and get those times down

17. You had a great month! Hopefully with a break from training and racing you will have some more time to get back into strength training.

18. Coco says:

Sounds like a great month, really! You should check out the Quick Strength for Runners book I’ve written about. It is designed for 2x/week at home workouts for runners. 🙂

19. I give myself an “F” for strength training too. Hopefully we’ll both do better this month!

20. Congrats! and job well done! it is always essential to log or have journal on our goals and the actual things we do to keep us on track. you did well here.

♡Courtney Bentley || http://www.courtneyvioletbentley.com

21. Renée says:

Amazing month! May sounds like it’s going to be a good one too 🙂 My husband is already training for Chicago in a way… but he has a hernia and that adds to the challenge of marathon training.

I have no real goals set for May. Just get through exams on the 13th and 10K steps per day. Everything else will be a bonus. Once school is done I can finally get back to regular gym visits and training for the Dublin Half in August.

Great job last month! Yay for being on track with your goal!! So happy for you with the half marathon…looking forward to that recap! 🙂

23. Woohoo!
    Congratulations on an awesome April, especially keeping up on vacation – I tend to slack off when I travel.

24. Janelle @ Run With No Regrets says:

Congratulations on your mileage goal – you knocked out a ton of miles in April! I think you’ve got a great plan for May and I’m sure you’ll drop those 4 pounds.

25. Fantastic month, Kathryn. I, too, need to make sure I focus on strength training.

26. Pingback: The Emotional Roller Coaster of Losing Weight | From Dancing to Running

27. Farrah says:

Great job to you on your goals for April, and best of luck to you for May! :] I really need to work on cross training!

28. Pingback: Catching Up! | From Dancing to Running