What’s Next?

On Sunday I crossed the finish line of my spring redemption race, the Loudoun Half Marathon.  I’m still working on putting my recap together and searching through the over 7,500 photos that were taken at the race to find decent ones of myself.  Although I didn’t PR (I was about 20 seconds off from doing so), I know that I put forth my best effort on Sunday and gave the race my all.  I walked away from the race feeling much better about what I was able to accomplish on the course than I had when I crossed the finish line of Rock ‘n’ Roll DC last month.  Redemption was achieved.

After crossing the finish line of Sunday’s Loudoun Half Marathon

So what’s next on the calendar for me?  I have two more races this Spring:

May 29th – Ringing in Hope 10k – Ashburn, VA

I ran this race last year, and my current 10k PR is from last year’s race.  I’d like to see if I can push myself to set a new PR at this year’s race.

Running towards the finish line at last year’s Ringing in Hope 10k
Photo Credit: PR Races

June 3rd – ZOOMA Annapolis Half Marathon – Annapolis, MD

I also ran this race last year, and can’t wait for another fun weekend of running again this year.  Although ZOOMA was a goal race for me last year, I’ll be running this race completely for fun this year.  I plan to take it easy on the training front between now and race day, other than pushing myself to hopefully PR at Ringing in Hope.  With my marathon training starting the week after ZOOMA, I’d like to give myself both a physical and a mental break from being “in training.”  My current thinking is to reduce my running from three days per week to one to two days, which will not only give me a break but will also allow me to focus more of my time on cross and strength training.

(Want to join me at ZOOMA Annapolis, or want to run any of the ZOOMA races this year?  Use discount code KATHRYN2017 to save 10 percent off of your registration fee.)

After crossing the finish line at ZOOMA Annapolis last June

The only other race that I’m currently registered for is the Chicago Marathon on October 8th.  After ZOOMA Annapolis, my focus will be on training for Chicago.  I plan to run several races as part of my training, but haven’t solidified which races I’ll be running yet.

QOTD: Which race(s) are next on your calendar?

Thanks to Deb for hosting the Race Linkup.  Be sure to check out her post for more race ideas.

This entry was posted in Races, Training and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

34 Responses to What’s Next?

1. This sounds like a great plan! I have my eye on another 10K as well this spring but don’t know if it will happen!

2. kookyrunner says:

Good Luck in that 10K race – I’m sure you can push to another PR!

I don’t have too many races planned for the summer months, but my Fall is pretty packed with 2 marathons (including Chicago) and a bunch of other races.

3. Good plan, Kathryn! Hmmm…I think I will be in town for Ringing Hope 10K, maybe I’ll sign up 🙂 My friend ended up choosing to run the Baltimore 10 Miler (I said I would run with her), so will be doing that instead of Zooma. This summer I’ll run Missoula Half in Montana.

4. Wendy says:

You look like you’re flying in that picture! I hope you have just as good a race this year.

5. Rachel says:

Sounds like you have some fun things to look forward to!

6. Janelle @ Run With No Regrets says:

You’ve got a nice plan – I can’t wait to follow your Chicago marathon training, so exciting! I won’t be at ZOOMA this year but I hope you have a great time (and that it won’t be too hot)!

7. 20 seconds is not far from your PR! Great job on your race! I would love to run a Zooma race one day. I think the closest one to me is in Florida. Best of luck at your 10k coming up! I love that distance!

I don’t have anything on the calendar after my May 10k. I want to do something this fall because I didn’t have any races last fall due to getting ready to move. I know the RnR Denver is in October, and they have a 10k option.

9. My next race is a 13.1 on Saturday…and it’s looking rainy…

10. Elle says:

Hope you get that 10k PR! I am sure you will have a great event.

11. Lisa says:

Congrats on your race! Even though you didnt quite PR 20 seconds is SO close! Sounds like a great race plan…Id love to do Chicago one day!

12. jaycer123 says:

I love that you have a plan! I need to get on one

13. Congrats on your Loudon half can’t wait to read all about it. Redemption!

14. runcanvas says:

I’m glad you got your redemption! Sounds like some fun races up ahead. I’m planning on entering some base building followed by speed training to get my into some shorter distance races. I need a break after training so hard for Boston . Ready for some speed!

15. Congrats on a great redemption race! I can’t wait to read your recap. Did you find the pictures that Bill took of you just before the water stop at mile nine? He got a couple of cute ones. I still can’t believe that I missed cheering you on!

Thanks for linking up!

16. MB Jackson says:

I am glad you got the redemption you were looking for- I know it feels good! I so wish I could be at Annapolis, I will have to join everyone virtually!

17. tonee78 says:

Glad you got redemption, it def feels go to do so. I have too many races to list here but I am looking forward to my redemption half in June bad then the San Francisco half after that!