Loudoun Half Marathon Training Log – Week 6

Even though this past week was race week, I was very determined to be quite active.  With several beautiful weather days, I wanted to be outside as much as I could.  Yes, the Loudoun Half Marathon was my redemption race after a disappointing finish at Rock ‘n’ Roll DC last month, but I also wanted to be as active as possible.  Since I just missed PRing at yesterday’s race, maybe I made the wrong choice this past week in being as active as I was, though I don’t regret my decision in the least.

Monday, April 17th

We spent Monday morning at an outpatient surgical center, where little man had tubes placed into his ears.  After having lost count of the number of double ear infections he has had since he got his first one last June, his time for tubes had come.  After arriving back home, we spent much of the day entertaining a cranky toddler, so I’m very thankful that I was able to find 15 minutes to work on strength training.

Tuesday, April 18th

I did another running commute to/from daycare to pick up little man.  I ran 1.26 miles to daycare with the empty stroller, then 3.24 miles after picking him up.

How can you not smile when you get to spend time with this kid?!?

My Tuesday run also brought me to the 300 mile mark in my quest to log 1,000 miles this year.  Now its on to 400 miles!

Wednesday, April 19th

Another gorgeous Spring afternoon called for wanting to spend more time outside, so I did a walking commute to/from daycare.  By the end of the walk I had logged 3.07 miles at a 15:14 pace.  After arriving home I did a 20 minute full body strength training session.

Thursday, April 20th

I arrived home from work early enough to be able to complete my run solo.  I ran 4.64 miles in 45 minutes at a 9:42 pace.  It was a great final training run before the race.

Friday, April 21st

After work I headed to the gym, where I spent 30 minutes on the elliptical followed by a 25 minute full body weight training session.  Doing weights only two days before a half marathon probably wasn’t my smartest choice, and may have affected my ability to be able to PR yesterday, but it was the only day last week when I was able to leave work early enough to make it to the gym before picking little man up.

Saturday, April 22nd

My only complete and total rest day last week was the day before the race.  It was more than needed.

Sunday, April 23rd

If you follow me on social media then you already know that I missed my half marathon PR by about only 20 seconds.  I am not at all disappointed in how I did though, as I know that I put my best effort forward at yesterday’s race.  I can’t wait to fully recap my race experience!

After crossing the finish line of yesterday’s Loudoun Half Marathon

Total Weekly Mileage – 29.28 miles (11.45 miles more than week 5)

Total Loudoun Half Mileage – 128.61 miles

QOTD: Who else raced over the weekend?  How did your race go?

I’m linking up with Holly from HoHo Runs and Tricia from MissSippiPiddlin for the Weekly Wrap link up.  I’m also linking up with Courtney for the Training Recap link up.  Be sure to check out their posts as well.

This entry was posted in Loudoun Half Marathon Training, Training and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

44 Responses to Loudoun Half Marathon Training Log – Week 6

1. Coco says:

20 seconds is so close! It should be close enough, but I know how we runners are sticklers for numbers. But, really, it shows that you ran at your goal pace – congrats!

2. Good job on coming oh-so-close to that PR! Was the previous PR done at the same race? I always try to keep some perspective on PR’s…although those numbers are a constant in my mind… even if the race is on the same course, chances are pretty high I’ll never have the same experience.

3. I think it’s great that you live so close to day care that you can walk/run there!
    Congrats on your race and I hope little man has a full recovery!

4. Wendy says:

I’m looking forward to your recap! Twenty seconds–I wouldn’t sweat that at all. Great job!

5. kookyrunner says:

Great job on your half marathon this weekend! I know it wasn’t an official PR, but you still rocked it!

6. Janelle @ Run With No Regrets says:

Congratulations on your race, so close to a PR! We really lucked out with not having rain on Sunday! The Parkway Classic went well but it was a tough one for sure! I look forward to your full recap!

7. You were very active during your race week! I hope your little guy’s ears are doing well after tubes. Congrats on a great race and can’t wait to read your recap!

8. Marcia says:

I’m glad you’re not upset about that 20 seconds. That’s a great race right there. 2 of my nephews had ear tubes and it was life changing!

9. Great week of workouts! I’d be pretty happy with those race results! Hope your little man starts to feel better soon.

I had tubes after getting so many ear infections, and my mom says it was one of the greatest things ever. I still got a couple ear infections after that, but no where close to the number of times I did before.

11. MB Jackson says:

Wow! Still sounds like a great race, 20 seconds is so close! I love the whole jogging home from the daycare routine- pretty special for both of you! Your little man will know he has a fit mama!

12. Looking much happier than you did after rock n roll! Glad the weather turned out nice look forward to reading your recap

13. Congrats on another half done and that you were happy with your race. I hope your hip is feeling better.

14. Rachel says:

What a great week! Good for you. Can’t wait to read the recap.

15. Way to go! I’m glad you got the race you were trained for this past weekend!

16. Way to go!!! Missing the PR by that little is brutal, but I’m glad you still had a strong race!

17. hanzelboyzmama says:

Great job on your race!! Sounds like you have no regrets and that is great! My son had to have tubes too! Pretty easy but definately traumatic for mommy!

18. Congrats on your race! Looking forward to reading your recap!

19. Mary says:

You did stay active, looks like you are really enjoying spring! Neat how you combine it with getting your little guy some outdoor time, too. Congratulations on doing so well on your race!

Poor little man with the tubes 😦 But he looks like he’s smiling in the Tuesday photo so hopefully it’s not too bad. And it sounds like you had a good week other than that. Congrats on getting so close to the PR at the race! It’s hard getting so close and not crossing over but doing your best is what’s important.

21. Elaine says:

Congrats on your race and woohoo on reaching 300mi! Hope little man is feeling better!

22. HoHo Runs says:

It sounds as if you ran a very strong race. Congrats on a great finish time. You’ll get those 20 seconds — and more — next time, I’m sure. Great job on reaching 300 miles already this year. One of my kids had tubes and I know what you mean by cranky! I hope he is feeling well post surgery. Thanks for linking, Kathryn!