My Goals for Sunday’s Loudoun Half Marathon

The Loudoun Half Marathon wasn’t originally on my 2017 race calendar, but after the disappointment of Rock ‘n’ Roll DC last month, and poor weather conditions making it incredibly difficult to reach my race goals, I started looking online for a redemption race.  I came across the Loudoun Half Marathon, and recalled having read several positive race recaps from other bloggers.  This race is put on by Potomac River Running, a local running store in the DC area.  Having run several of their other races, and having had nothing but positive experiences at those races, this half marathon looked like the perfect choice for my redemption run.

I’ve been stalking the weather for the past several days, and unfortunately the weather is looking to be anything but favorable.  The current forecast calls for rain and temperatures in the low 50s during the race.  I’m okay with running in drizzle, but pouring rain is another story.  I’m crossing my fingers that the forecast will change between now and Sunday morning.  At least it doesn’t look like it’ll be freezing Sunday morning like it was last month for RnRDC.

Since this is my redemption race, I have the same goals as I did for Rock ‘n’ Roll DC:

Goal A – Finish the race in under 2:13:17 (10:10 pace)

Goal B – Finish the race in under 2:15:42 (10:22 pace), which is my current half marathon PR

Goal C – Finish the race in under 2:17:39 (10:30 pace)

Since I can’t control the weather, I’m trying to remain positive, and focus on reminding myself that I’ve put in a lot of hard work, including while on vacation last week.  Here’s to hoping that race day will work out in my favor!

QOTD: Who else is racing this weekend?  What race are you running?

This entry was posted in Races and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

33 Responses to My Goals for Sunday’s Loudoun Half Marathon

1. Angela says:

Good Luck for Sunday, I’m sure you’ll do great!! We can train and train but unfortunately the weather always plays a big part on how our race goes, I hope the weather is on your side on the day!

2. kookyrunner says:

Good Luck this weekend! I don’t have any races this weekend but I have a 10 mile training run that I’m looking forward to 🙂

3. you know they are never right about the weather around here so I am hoping it works out better for you.

4. Wendy says:

I’m sure you’ll do great no matter what the weather! You always seem very well prepared.

5. Janelle @ Run With No Regrets says:

I’ll be thinking of you on Sunday! I’m running the Parkway Classic 10 Miler and I’m bummed about the rain…hopefully it won’t be too bad! Have a great race – you got this!

6. I’ve never run a race in the rain, but I bet it’s not that great. I’m racing this weekend, but my weather conditions are in the opposite direction. It’s looking to heat up to the high 70s. I’m hoping to just finish quickly before it hits 70. Haha Good luck on your race!

7. laurenweiner says:

Good luck! Hopefully the weather will cooperate and be better than expected!

Good luck! I hate running in rain, but wouldn’t back down if it was for a race. You’ve had two good training cycles and can tackle this one.

Good luck! From one extreme to another with the weather. I’m doing the Star Wars Dark Side half at Disney this weekend and they just released a heat warning as well 😦 I’ve definitely changed my goal to just have fun at it… which was mostly the goal anyway since it’s a Disney race!

10. Elle says:

Iffy weather is my best excuse for not registering for Spring events. I hope that you have a great redemption race.

11. Good luck in your race! Fingers crossed for good weather!

12. Rachel says:

You’re going to do great. Have an awesome race, lady. You’ve got this!!

13. Elaine says:

Best of luck to you! Your hard work will pay off!

14. paulettezf says:

Stay positive! I’ve had a few races with downpours and/or heavy wind, and although it’s not great it was better than having it too hot (had the lovely 85 degree marathon and 50K experiences too!) Hopefully it’ll stick to a drizzle and stay cool for you. Best of luck in the race!

15. Oh, gosh! Weather stalking is great, but it can also really put your brain in overdrive. Just take it as it comes. You’re well trained and you’ve got this!

I have a sprint tri on Sunday. I am just a wee bit terrified.

16. Clarinda says:

I’ll keep my fingers crossed for you that the forecast turns around and that you have a great redemption race!

17. Good luck! My advice (as someone who had a long string of races in bad weather and managed to PR a few of them): decide that you are going to meet your goals, regardless of the weather. Rain + 50 degrees isn’t that bad – rain + freezing temps is much worse…Hope for good weather but be prepared for the worst and then go get your PR anyway! Best of luck and stay strong out there! I know you can do it.

18. tonee78 says:

Good luck this weekend! I hope the weather gets better for you! I am running a 5k tomorrow, my first race back after my injury!

19. Pingback: 2017 Loudoun Half Marathon Recap | From Dancing to Running