2017 Goals – 1st Quarter Check In

Its hard to believe that we’re already one quarter of the way through 2017!  This year is just flying by!

Last year I only checked in on my yearly goals halfway through the year.  To be honest, after the first couple of weeks of the year, and then a couple of weeks after my mid-year check in, my yearly goals were pushed far from my mind.  In an effort to hold myself more accountable, and to keep my goals fresher on my mind, I plan to do a quarterly check in/reflection this year.

Each month I also set goals for myself to help keep on tracking towards reaching my bigger goals.  My yearly goals are more long term, while my monthly goals are more short term.

I have five goals for 2017:

1. Log 1,000 miles.

Progress Report: A

As of the end of March, my 2017 mileage total was 239.7 miles.  To be completely on track towards meeting my mileage goal, I would have needed to log at least 250 miles.  I’m currently 95% of the way to staying on track with this goal, and I have no doubt that as marathon training starts in June that I’ll easily be able to make up my small shortage.

Being able to run with my little man in the BOB stroller is one of the big reasons why I’ve been able to stay on track with my training this year.

2.  Run my first marathon.

Progress Report: N/A

Seeing as how my first marathon isn’t until October, when I will be running the Chicago Marathon with Team Ronald McDonald House Charities, and that I have yet to start training for it, I cannot assess this goal yet.  Training for and running my two upcoming half marathons will help ensure that I have a strong base when I do start marathon training.

3.  Make strength training a priority.

Progress Report: C

Some weeks I have been better about strength training than other weeks.  After last month I realized that I need to set a specific quantitative goal to help me stay on track, which exactly what I did for April.

4.  Stay on top of my blogging.

Progress Report: C+

Unless I’m on vacation, I do my best to keep up with a Monday, Wednesday, Friday posting schedule.  From January through March, I wrote and published 31 of the 39 posts that I had scheduled on my blog calendar (79%).  When work, family life, and just life in general has been busy and a bit stressful, blogging has been one of the first things to be pushed to the back burner.  I haven’t been as diligent about drafting posts in advance, and doing this would help me to stay on track, especially during busy times of the school year.

5.  Put My Family First

Progress Report: B

While I’ve generally been doing a good job and not letting other things get in the way of spending time with my husband and son, there’s always room for improvement.  Little man continues to grow and develop at a rapid pace, and I don’t want to miss out on anything with him!

This kid is growing wayyyyyy too quickly!

QOTD: How much progress did you make during the first quarter of 2017 towards meeting your 2017 goals?

This entry was posted in Motivation, Races, Training and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

34 Responses to 2017 Goals – 1st Quarter Check In

1. I haven’t missed a day of running due to RA, so for me, that’s a win.

2. Marcia says:

Doing monthly goal check-ins has kept me on track this year!

3. Elle says:

Sounds like you are doing pretty well to me! I am working on strength training and yoga these days. Running and tennis are on hold till the weather warms up. I am a wimp!

4. It’s great that you record all this so you have it to look back on later. O yes, your little man sure is growing fast. What a cutie!

5. A huge goal for 2017 is to stay injury-free, which I have been able to do for the most part. If I feel a strange twinge anywhere, I do not ignore it…. I scale back my activity until the twinge either disappears or substantially feels better.

6. I like the idea of doing the quarterly check ins. I think you get a A in the family dept. I see your photos with your son all the time. Don’t be so hard on yourself!

7. Rachel says:

Aw he’s such a cutie pie. Sounds like your year is trucking ahead as planned!

8. I’d say you are doing a pretty good job!! I am keeping my my main goal of 100 miles each month. And kind of my unspoken of being better at doing strength stuff too. It is a super hard balance for sure.

9. kookyrunner says:

I really like your idea of a quarterly check-in! That’s a great way to keep on track of yearly goals.

I’m making progress on all my yearly goals except for Yoga – I really have to stay on top of that!

10. Lisa says:

I cant believe we are already a quarter of the way though the year! I didnt set any yearly goals, but am working on some short term ones. Sounds like you have had a good start to the year- it can be really challenging to do everything!

11. MB Jackson says:

Great start to the year! I keep looking at it monthly and that helps!

12. You’ve been doing great! You are going to crush all your goals, one way or another!

I have been doing ok. I am a little behind on my annual miles, too, but it is what it is.

13. Elaine says:

I only set one goal for the year which was to make Meditation a habit. I started on 2 Jan and have been on a streak ever since. Now I can’t imagine missing a day.
    Chicago as your first marathon – how awesome! I’m excited to run it as well this year!

14. ilkasblog says:

Quarter check-ins are a great way to keep you accountable. I need to give it a try!

15. Cathy says:

I had just published a post on setting goals so your post on another’s blogger’s site caught my attention. I love this. And even though I don’t have goals listed for the year, I don’t think it’s too late. Gonna get started. Thanks for inspiring me!

You’ve done an great job and I agree with you on #4 and #5! Life passes by so fast!!

17. I’d say that you are making amazing progress towards your goals. And I also think you are doing an incredible job with your blog! You are a busy woman and have a sweet boy to keep up with 🙂

18. Pingback: 2017 Goals – 2nd Quarter Check In | From Dancing to Running