Loudoun Half Marathon Training Log – Week 3

Does anybody else feel like they’re extra motivated at the beginning of a new month?  I definitely felt that way this past week, especially since I not only wanted to close out March on a strong note but kick off April even stronger.  Overall, it was a great week!

Monday, March 27th

We spent Monday flying back from Illinois.  Between a delayed connection, and having to pick up our dog Riley after we landed, it was a long day with no time to work out.

Tuesday, March 28th

I made up for Monday’s lack of training with a 4.50 mile run.  Despite the fact that it was a humid evening, and I had pushed little man in the stroller, I managed almost negative splits during my run.

My first run of the week was a great one with almost perfect negative splits.

Wednesday, March 29th

Even after a long day at work followed by a chiropractor appointment, I still managed to squeeze in 20 minutes of strength training while little man played with his toys.  My fourth blogiversary was also on Wednesday.  Its hard to believe that this little space on the Internet is already four years old!

Thursday, March 30th

My birthday was on Thursday, and I celebrated in one of the best ways possible: by going for a 4 mile run with my little running buddy.

Post birthday run with my favorite little buddy

Friday, March 31st

Friday after work I headed to the gym, where I spent 30 minutes on the elliptical followed by 30 minutes of full body weight training.  I left the gym feeling sore, which is always a sign of a great workout.

Saturday, April 1st

Saturday was a very long day.  I started the day off at school proctoring a practice AP exam for my students.  Afterwards I headed to a friend’s bridal shower.  By the time that I got home, I felt like I had put in a full day of work (I was gone from about 7:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.).  Little man’s godmother had been with him while I was gone all day, and we decided to head out for a little outlet shopping and dinner after I got home.  It was a long, but fun, day.

Sunday, April 2nd

I had 10 miles on tap for my long run, and after a little debate, decided to run the hilly route that got the best of me at the end of February when I had set out to run 14 miles but called it quits at 12.  It was in the low 60s during my run, and the sun was shining brightly during my early afternoon run.  Looking at my splits, it is quite obvious which splits were a net uphill and which were a net downhill: 10:27, 10:00, 10:09, 10:05, 10:04, 10:31, 10:15, 10:22, 10:10, 10:03.

I am so happy that I was able to maintain my 4:15/0:45 intervals for the entire run, including when I took a Gu gel at miles 3.4 and 7.75, and a couple of Clif Shot Bloks at mile 5.8.  When I arrived home, Preston and little man greeted me outside and I was able to celebrate a successful long run with them.

I’m so glad that little man took a short break from driving his truck to celebrate my 10 mile run with me.

Total Weekly Mileage – 22.37 miles (4.53 miles more than week 2)

Total Loudon Half Mileage – 56.43 miles

QOTD: Do you find that you’re more motivated at the beginning or at the end of the month?

I’m linking up with Holly from HoHo Runs and Tricia from MissSippiPiddlin for the Weekly Wrap link up.  I’m also linking up with Courtney for the Training Recap link up.  Be sure to check out their posts as well.

This entry was posted in Loudoun Half Marathon Training, Training and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

46 Responses to Loudoun Half Marathon Training Log – Week 3

1. Great job this week! Yes, I definitely find I am more motivated at the beginning of the month. This weekend was all about planning and goal setting!

2. kookyrunner says:

Great job this week and happy blogiversary! Also, happy belated birthday fellow Aries!

3. Rachel says:

Awesome week! Happy blogiversary and birthday! 🙂

4. Janelle @ Run With No Regrets says:

I definitely feel more motivated at the beginning of a new month! Great job with your runs this past week! Happy belated birthday and blogiversary!

5. I LOVE that picture of him clapping his hands. Such a cutie! Happy blogiversary, lady! Glad we met through the blogging world 🙂 Great week of workouts, as well!

6. Angela says:

Well Done on a great weeks training!! Happy birthday to you and to the blog 😊

7. Happy Birthday and happy blogiversary to you!! Great job on all of your runs last week! I kicked off the month with a 5k race that went really well and now I’m tired lol! I didn’t run today because of severe weather but hopefully will squeeze one in tomorrow. The kiddos are on spring break this week! Hope you have another great week!

8. HAPPY BLOGIVERSARY!!! And what a nice thing to come home to after and long run 🙂

I’m motivated at both the beginning and end. I want to start the month off right, and finish it off right, to segway into the next month. I’m hoping April will be just as good as March.

10. Happy Four Years, Kathryn! I love the last picture of you and Kyle 🙂

11. Happy Anniversary!!! Winter sort of kills my mojo so I am struggling to get back any sort of motivation, but slowly but surely it’ll be back!!

12. Looks like you had a much better week! He is just too cute for words 🙂

13. Marcia says:

Nice week Kathryn! Happy birthday and blogaversary!

14. Happy Blogiversary! Great start to April too! I love beginnings of months because I am always extra motivated! 🙂

15. Congrats on 4 years! My first blogiversary is tomorrow, and I can’t believe it’s been a year. Yes, Mondays and month beginnings definitely motivate me a lot.

16. Great job on the long run and happy bloggiversary! I’m with you – definitely more motivated at the beginning of a new month. Something about the fresh start 🙂

17. I usually feel more motivated, also, at the start of a new month because I have a new set of goals to focus on 😉

18. Lots of great workouts and things to celebrate! Happy blogiversary and happy birthday!

19. jljohnson says:

Your little guy is SO STINKIN CUTE!!!

20. Happy Blogiversary and Happy Birthday! You had a wonderful week, and I am so happy for you! It’s always awesome to conquer something that’s gotten the best of you in the past.

New months are blank pages for new goals and new opportunities! Make the most of your April!

21. angela@marathonsandmotivation.com says:

Happy Blogiversary! It sounds like you got in some good mileage this week too!!

22. HoHo Runs says:

Happy Birthday! (There were a lot of birthdays this week!) Congrats on the blogiversay too. My blog is almost three and it’s hard to believe how fast that time has gone. And WHAT, pray tell, have we been talking about? LOL. Great job on the long run. I think maybe the new month gave you some extra motivation to tackle those hills. Thanks for linking, Kathryn!