April 2017 Goals

March was an interesting month on the fitness front.  I ran my goal half marathon that I spent ten weeks training for.  My initial plan was to take a bit of a running break after Rock ‘n’ Roll DC and to focus more of my time and energy on cross and strength training, but after a disappointing race I decided instead to register for a redemption race in April.  That decision caused me to have to slightly shift my goals mid-month.

1.  Log at least 90 miles.

Grade: A-

My current mileage total for March is 84.3 miles (94% of my goal).  I’m hoping to make it to the gym this afternoon for cross and weight training, but I’m also realistic in knowing that I won’t log another 5.7 miles today.  That’s okay.  I’m proud of what I did accomplish in March, especially given the number of times that little man got sick, and the fact that we also had a whirlwind trip to Illinois last weekend.

My current 2017 mileage total sits at 239.7 miles, which puts me at 24% of the way toward meeting my yearly goal of 1,000 miles.  I am not at all worried about meeting this goal, especially since I have yet to start marathon training.

2.  PR at at Rock ‘n’ Roll DC.

Grade: C

We all know that this goal didn’t happen.  There were factors, mainly the weather, that were beyond my control.  I wouldn’t say that I 100% failed at meeting this goal, since I did put forth my best effort at the race, and that’s all that I can ask of myself.

Trying to warm up post race

3.  Focus on cross and strength training.

Grade: F

Even though I shifted my focus mid-month, I didn’t do nearly enough cross and strength training in March.  I need to be more focused and diligent about this in order to prevent injury, especially as I get closer to starting marathon training in June.

Just as March was a busy month, April will be another busy one.  But as always, I’m setting goals to help keep me focused and on track.

1.  Log at least 95 miles.

Even though I didn’t reach my March mileage goal, I want to slightly up the ante next month and try to push myself a little further.  If I can reach this goal, then April will be my highest mileage month ever.

2.  PR at the Loudoun Half Marathon.

Since I didn’t reach my PR goal at Rock ‘n’ Roll DC, I’m extra determined to get a new PR at this month’s half marathon.

3.  Strength train at least two times per week.

I need to be better about doing my strength training in order to prevent injury.  I think that part of why I struggled with this goal last month was because I didn’t have a specific numeric goal to focus on reaching each week.

4.  Cross train at least one time per week.

Same with the strength training goal, I think that I struggled with cross training last month for a similar reason, I didn’t have a specific target to reach for each week.

5.  Keep up with my training while on vacation.

We will be headed to Florida for a week, spending half of the week at the beach and the other half of the week at Disney.  I need to keep on top of my training while we’re away, especially if I’m determined to PR at the Loudon Half Marathon.

QOTD: What are your goals for April?

I’m linking up for the Friday Five 2.0 linkup.  Many thanks to the wonderful ladies at Fairytales and Fitness and Running on Happy for hosting!

I’m also linking up with Ange and Carmy for the Monthly Goals linkup.  Be sure to check out their posts as well.

This entry was posted in Motivation and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

54 Responses to April 2017 Goals

1. kookyrunner says:

Love your goals for April. Betweent he running and strength training, you’ll be in a great spot to snag that PR!

2. When you set mileage goals are you aiming to run more often or do longer runs? Just wondering as i’ve never set a mileage goal before.

3. It is so hard to fit it all in! That’s a lot of miles to log in one month.

4. Coco says:

I think you deserve a higher grade for RNR. You showed up in that weather and did the best you could!

5. I have a 1,000 mile goal too and I’m at 215.72 miles for the month! Like you though I’m not too worried about it because I have yet to start marathon training. The majority of my miles will most likely be at the end of the year.

Cross training and strength training has made a major difference for me in my running. I need to get back to Orange Theory Fitness classes as its been a few weeks since I went to one. Maybe I’ll take one tomorrow morning.

That’s a great idea to add in a redemption race for April since things were so tough at RnR DC! Good luck with the PR and the rest of the goals 🙂

7. SuzLyfe says:

March was a weird month for many of us. Let’s hope that we all rock April! I know that you will 😀

8. Elle says:

Good luck with your redemption race. Hope youu have a stellar April!

9. Zebra Girl says:

At least your nails looked good holding that rock n roll medal! Good luck on that redemption race…sometimes we need those races to move on!

I hope you have better weather for Loudoun. Spring can be unpredictable, but hopefully April is better. My goal is to continue strength training and get my calves stronger.

11. Great job on getting close to your 90 mile goal for the month! I’m shooting for 1000 miles for the year too and made it 80 miles this month! I think I’m up to 212 miles so far! Praying you have good weather so you can PR your half in April!! You are doing great! I can definitely relate to having trouble getting it all done with sick kids and busy schedules. Keep up the good work!

12. Great goals for April! I’m sure your half will be awesome this month.

13. You’ve got some great goals! Good luck with your training for Loudon!

14. Looks like you have a great plan for April! Its great that you are already set on another marathon. Hopefully you can enjoy running in the warm Florida sunshine!

15. Rachel says:

You’ll do great in April. I can feel it!

16. This is why I don’t grade myself! You did great last month. In spite of everything life threw at you–don’t give yourself anything less than an A!

17. hanzelboyzmama says:

You got this girl!! And I’m jealous of Disney! Have so much fun! I’ve added kickboxing with some strength in but I could be doing better for sure!!

18. My April goals are yet to be determined LOL I definitely need some ab work, and more yoga and focus on stretching…..stay tuned 😉

19. MB Jackson says:

I need to work on my speed in April and get my pace back up- some how I have slipped into a slower pace? Always something to work on! 🙂 Cheers to a great April!

20. March was a very weird month. I feel like I got nothing accomplished, but April is going to be a good one. I can feel it!

21. I did great in March except for running. Good luck in April, I am hoping it is going to be a great month all around.

22. Wow – I only run 3 days a week too, so I am impressed that you can squeeze in so many miles! I was just shy of 75 miles for March, and was super pleased with that. My goal HM is coming up on April 22 and I am praying for good, cool, weather. Because I think that will go a long way to help me PR.

23. moorek17 says:

Congrats on the RnR! I heard the weather was brutal! What do you usually do for your cross training? I get recurring plantar fasciitis and want to up my cross/strength training to help heal and prevent it from continuing to happen and was wondering what you do.

24. Janelle @ Run With No Regrets says:

You always have really solid goals. I think you’ll nail them this month! I’m rooting for you to PR in your next half! I cross-train plenty but don’t do enough specific strength training…hopefully I can emphasize that a little more this month.

25. Pingback: Loudoun Half Marathon Training Log – Weeks 4 and 5 | From Dancing to Running

26. Pingback: May 2017 Goals | From Dancing to Running