Friday Five – Potpourri v. 19

This has been one of those weeks where there was a lot going on, and I have a lot of exciting updates to share!

1.  After my disappointing race on Saturday at Rock ‘n’ Roll DC, I’ve started to collect my thoughts and reflect on what went well with my training and on race day and where I can make improvements.  Since the weather odds were stacked against me on Saturday, and I put in a lot of hard work with my training, I want to run a redemption race this Spring.  After much consideration, I’ve decided to run the Loudoun Half Marathon on April 23rd.  With the race just over five weeks away, my focus will be on maintaining the strength and endurance that I developed during my RnRDC training.

2.  Yesterday was my 4 year runiversary.  Last year on my runiversary I took a big walk down memory lane.  Over the past year, I’ve run four half marathons, two 10ks, and two 5ks.  While this was significantly fewer races than in previous years, I focused on running quality races while balancing spending my time with my family.

Preston and I crossing the finish line at Wine and Dine back in November, which was by far my favorite race from the past year
Photo Credit: Disney World PhotoPass

3.  Despite the cold, windy, snowy, and icy weather that we’ve been dealing with here in Northern Virginia, I couldn’t let my runiversary go by without going for a run.  Winter running is not my thing, and I’m more than ready for Spring to arrive and stay for good.

4.  Other than yesterday being my runiversary, it was also an exciting day because I bought our plane tickets to Chicago for the Chicago Marathon!  Its hard to believe how quickly the year is already flying by, and that before we know it we’ll be flying to Chicago for my first marathon!

5.  Not only did I register for the Loudoun Half this week, but I also registered for ZOOMA Annapolis in June.  This will be the last half marathon that I run before I officially start marathon training.  I had a blast running ZOOMA last year and can’t wait for this year’s race weekend.  (And want to join me, either in person or virtually?  Use discount code KATHRYN2017 to save 10% off of your race registration.)

QOTD: What exciting news do you have to share this week?

I’m linking up for the Friday Five 2.0 linkup.  Many thanks to the wonderful ladies at Fairytales and Fitness and Running on Happy for hosting!

This entry was posted in Miscellaneous and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

36 Responses to Friday Five – Potpourri v. 19

1. Happy Runiversary! The year really is going by quickly, I can’t believe we are already halfway through March. Glad you decided on a redemption race- can’t wait to see how it goes for you!

2. kookyrunner says:

Happy Runniversary! I’ll be booking my tickets for Chicago sometime next month. I know that makes it feel so real!

Here’s to a great redemption race. March weather is so random in the northeast, and I hope you get much better conditions in late April.

4. Happy Runniversary! Sending you good vibes for your redemption race – the weather plays such a huge factor and something you just can’t control! I’m incredibly impressed by everyone who got out there and ran for the RnRDC race.

5. Janelle @ Run With No Regrets says:

Happy anniversary and runiversary! I love that picture from Wine & Dine! Glad to see you’ve got another half marathon on tap – I look forward to seeing how it goes! This year really is flying by, Chicago has to be so exciting!

6. SuzLyfe says:

Happy Runiversary! And I hear you about being ready for spring to come and stay. No more of this wishy washy nonsense!

7. Rachel says:

Happy Runiversary!!! You’re going to crush Chicago.

8. Marcia says:

A redemption race sounds perfect! Happy runiversary! Can’t wait to see you in Chicago. Wendy and I will be at our post in the “blogger press box” at mile 13. 😀

9. MCM Mama says:

Happy Runiversary! Have fun at the Loudoun race. I really enjoyed that one last year.

10. Mary says:

Hi Kathryn, I happened to be in your area last week and I experienced that snow! For me it was a nice change from constant rain, but I wouldn’t have wanted to run a race in it! Sounds like you have a good and full schedule of events for this year. I hope you can keep up your strength for your next event without any injuries or overtraining.

11. Hmmmm…exciting news….I’m going to Florida on Sunday! I cannot wait. Right now I”m sitting in my family room with Kim from Running on the Fly, talking about our race tomorrow!

12. Coco says:

I think you are well along on that road to redemption — not that there’s really anything to redeem about RnR. I’ve heard good things about LoCo!

13. angela@marathonsandmotivation.com says:

Happy Runversary!! It’s so hard to have a race that does not meet expectations, but it does happen and it makes us really appreciate all of the good ones!

14. Wow I am not sure I knew you had only been running for 4 years! Look how far you’ve come

15. Elaine says:

Chicago as your first marathon should be a memorable one! I’m running it also. Got a hotel reserved but don’t have plane tickets yet – guess I should start looking for flights out.
    I hope the Loudon Half will be a better race for you!

16. MB Jackson says:

My grand baby is due June 3 so I am running the virtual Zooma option- pretty excited about it!

17. Total agreement…winter has to end. PRONTO.

18. tonee78 says:

Happy runniversary! How exciting. That Chicago will be your first marathon, I want to run that race one day!