Rock ‘n’ Roll DC Half Marathon Training Log – Week 10

Race day has come and gone.  If you follow me on social media then you already know that the race did not go as I had hoped that it would.  I’ll fully recap the race at a later time, but the cold air and wind really got the best of me.  That, coupled with the hilly course, made for a difficult morning of running.  I’m proud of myself for not giving up, but I would be lying if I didn’t say that I am disappointed that my hard work and training was not able to pay off on race day the way that I had hoped that it would.

As has been the usual lately, this past week was another busy one.

Monday, March 6th

Since both little man and I had an appointment after school with the chiropractor, it was a planned rest day.  By the time we got home, it was time to make dinner and start getting little man ready for bed.

Tuesday, March 7th

It was a rainy afternoon, but I didn’t let that stop me from getting one of my last training runs in.  No excuses during race week, right?  I ran based on feel and my splits were far from consistent (9:55, 9:23, 9:50, 9:35), but I’m okay with that.  I got the miles in and that’s all that mattered to me for a rainy afternoon.

Wednesday, March 8th

I had planned to head to the gym after work for cross and weight training, but Northern Virginia traffic had other plans for me.  Instead, I decided to take advantage of the gorgeous weather (it was sunny and in the mid-70s!) and walk to daycare to pick little man up.  He was just as happy as I was to enjoy the commute home outside in the beautiful weather.

Post daycare smile

Thursday, March 9th

Another sunny and 70 degree afternoon meant that I was able to wear shorts and a tank top for my last RnRDC training run.  Between the warm air and it being my last pre-race run, I decided to take it easy with my pace.  My splits were: 10:01, 9:50, 10:05, 9:54, 5:15 (last 0.55 miles).  I finished up my workout with 10 minutes of ab work.

Friday, March 10th

I spent my rest day heading to the expo after work to pick up my bib.  It took me over 90 minutes to drive home from the expo.  Have I mentioned before how much I hate DC traffic?!?

Saturday, March 11th

Like I already said, race day did not go as I had hoped it would.  According to my Garmin I ran 13.37 miles, which was the result of a crowded course and lots of weaving.  Full race recap to come soon!

Trying to warm up post race

Sunday, March 12th

My body was tired and I needed a rest day.  We also had a lot of errands and chores to take care of around the house.

Total Weekly Mileage – 25.07 miles (5.95 miles more than week 9)

Total RnRDC Mileage – 190.84 miles

QOTD: If you raced this weekend, how did you do?

I’m linking up with Holly from HoHo Runs and Tricia from MissSippiPiddlin for the Weekly Wrap link up.  I’m also linking up with Courtney for the Training Recap link up.  Be sure to check out their posts as well.

This entry was posted in RnRDC Half Marathon Training, Training and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

52 Responses to Rock ‘n’ Roll DC Half Marathon Training Log – Week 10

1. Marcia says:

The little man has gotten so big! Sounds like it was a bit chilly for your race. I’ve had RnRDC on my list for years but I’m kind of glad now I didn’t run it this year. Can’t wait to hear more!

You had a great week! It’s crazy how cold it was in DC! Great job despite the conditions!

3. kookyrunner says:

Sounds like you had a great week! Kudos to you for completing your half marathon o Saturday in that brutal weather.

It was such a crazy weekend! Congrats on pushing through to the end. That cold made for a really tough race, especially given that it was t-shirt weather Thursday.

5. Janelle @ Run With No Regrets says:

Isn’t it crazy how we went to 70 degree to 20 degree weather in a matter of days?! I had a similar race experience as you, down to the mileage as well! Ugh…it just wasn’t our day! But I hope you are still proud for toughing it out!

6. I’m sorry that it wasn’t quite what you had hoped for, but kudos for racing on a chilly day! It’s only a matter of time before you have your race that reflects your training – I know it!!

7. MB Jackson says:

I can’t believe the weather you had, I know you are disappointed. Looking forward to your recap- keep smiling 🙂

8. Congrats on your race in tough conditions. Look forward to reading the recap this week

9. Your little man is adorable! I miss the squishy cheeks! 🙂 Congrats on a tough race! Crowds are so difficult to navigate too sometimes! I really dislike weaving.

10. Well, my race recap is in the works…but I’ll suffice it to say the 10K race got cut in half (due to ice), and I was NOT mentally prepared for a 5K race. I had a decent finish time, but not what it could have been….oh well! I’m sure I”m not the only one that’s ever happened to LOL

11. Crazy weather! (we went from 80-30!!!ugh!!!)
    I’m sorry your race wasn’t what you had hoped or expected.(I had a bad race last weekend so I can relate about the feelings) BUT the good part is that you finished despite the weather and hills, and you crossed the finish line uninjured! An unsuccessful race does not mean you are an unsuccessful runner, it just means it will make you successful for another race on another day….
    This race will still benefit you for any upcoming races.
    Your little man is simply ADORABLE btw!!!!!

12. Lacey says:

Sorry to hear it wasn’t what you had hoped for. It is crazy that the week before we were running in shorts and a tank top and then the day of the race we have to bundle up like it is winter again. I’m sure that will be what will happen this weekend for Shamrock. Regardless, it was a finish and an accomplishment! One more to add to the books!

13. Rachel says:

I’m sorry to hear you didn’t get the race you hoped for. I look forward to reading your recap. It looks like you had a great week otherwise!

Your training has gone so well, and I hope you can take that to springboard for Chicago training.

15. Elaine says:

❤️ Your son’s adorable smile! Sorry to hear the race didn’t go as well as you wanted it. Uncontrollable circumstances such as weather is difficult to plan for.

16. Congratulations on your race! I’m sorry it did not go like you planned. I did sign up for a last minute race in Birmingham since my daughter had a tournament up there. It was the Wine 10k and only a few minutes from our hotel! I also got to meet up with some friends I met at Disney Princess weekend last year. I was so happy to be there and I had a great race using the run/walk mehthod plus the weather was cold and no humidity. Looking forwed to reading your half marathon recap!

17. Great job and congrats on your race! Sorry it didn’t go as planned. Great job finishing in those tough conditions! Your little guy is too cute!

18. I am so sorry things didn’t go as planned. It’s really tough when you’ve done everything you need to do, and then outside forces don’t cooperate. 😦 You should still be really proud of yourself for digging deep and getting it done. DC always seems to be fraught with tough weather, which doesn’t make the hilly course any easier.

This weekend was the opposite for me. I came really close to bailing on my big 15K, and ended up getting a PR. It was just one of those random things.

19. Coco says:

Last week’s weather was insane! I’m sorry your race didn’t go as well as you thought. I’m trying to keep the course route and crowds in mind as I set goals for NYC.

20. joteach5 says:

You went from shorts to racing with a hat…that is a huge change in temp. I’m sure it wasn’t easy but you finished. Congrats on that half! Hope Mother Nature is kind to you this week.

21. De Bolton says:

Really sorry that the race didn’t go as planned but I am sure your hard work wasn’t all a loss. It stinks you had poor weather too. Maybe the next one you’ll see it all pay off! Good luck on the next one.

22. Lisa says:

Sorry your race didn’t go as planned, but that weather was rough on Saturday! And those hills for RNR DC are no joke. The traffic is the main reason I don’t do this race more often. Even though Im just in Baltimore, it would take too long to drive to and from the expo after work.

23. angela@marathonsandmotivation.com says:

Sorry your race did not go as planned, but great job finishing!! I have had some bad races too and the good thing about them is that I have walked away learning something new from the experience!!

24. tonee78 says:

Your paces are awesome even if they are not consistent! Can’t wait To read
    Your rnr recap.

25. HoHo Runs says:

Mother Nature was pretty cruel for that race. You finished…and that’s a BIG WIN in my book. I can’t imagine having to navigate DC traffic on a regular basis. We visited a couple of years ago and I got my fill then (in the snow too). Looking forward to your recap. Thanks for linking, Kathryn!

26. Boo on the conditions for your race and that distance is crazy you did do a lot of weaving! I do know you finished and I’ll wait on the review! Thanks Kathryn for joining us!