My Goals for Saturday’s Rock ‘n’ Roll DC Half Marathon

My first race of 2017 is finally here.  On Saturday I’ll be running the streets of DC as I run Rock ‘n’ Roll DC for the third time.  I first ran this race back in 2014, only weeks after facing a major health issue.  I had to walk more of the race than I would have liked to.  Last year, I ran the first eight miles of the race as a training run for ZOOMA Annapolis, and then walked the rest of the race.

With my 2016 Rock ‘n’ Roll DC medal

This year will be the first time that I’m actually able to “race” this race.  And I couldn’t be more excited about it.

The course for Rock ‘n’ Roll DC is far from an easy one.  It is quite hilly, the steepest hill being Calvert Hill just past the mile 6 marker.  But one of the things that I love about the RnRDC course is that it isn’t the cookie cutter DC half marathon course.  The course goes through both Rock Creek Park as well as Adams Morgan, in addition to several residential areas.  And the crowd support is always amazing.

The past ten weeks of training have been quite productive, and I have high expectations for what I will be able to accomplish on Saturday.  My three goals are:

Goal A – Finish the race in under 2:13:17 (10:10 pace)

Goal B – Finish the race in under 2:15:42 (10:22 pace), which is my current half marathon PR

Goal C – Finish the race in under 2:17:39 (10:30 pace)

I know that I have put in the hard work, and have run countless hills during my training.  I am a tad worried about the weather, and how that will impact my running.  The forecast seems to be changing every hour, so I’m crossing my fingers that there will not be any rain Saturday morning during the race.

Here’s to a great first race of 2017!

QOTD: Who else is racing this weekend?  What race are you running?

This entry was posted in Races and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

50 Responses to My Goals for Saturday’s Rock ‘n’ Roll DC Half Marathon

1. Steffany R. says:

You’ll do great! Just take in account the weather and you will be good to go! See you there!

You’ll do great! Look forward to seeing you out there 🙂

3. kookyrunner says:

Those sounds like great goals. I hope you have an awesome race experience this weekend!

4. Good luck! I think you’ll crush this one!

This sounds like an amazing race! Have a great one!! I know you’ll do great!

6. I’m not racing but I’ll be cheering you on! I would love to run a DC race.

7. Good luck! I always like to make at least one goal that doesn’t involve time — sometimes more than one!

My half is a bit over 2 weeks away. I’ve worked really hard, but going from upstate NY to NOLA . . . weather’s going to be a major factor. I plan to have fun & soak in the sights no matter what!

8. Ana says:

You will totally crush those goals!! you got this!

I’m running DC R’nR too! the temperature keeps dropping little by little, everytime I look at the weather it drops again, I’m afraid to look anymore!

9. Janelle @ Run With No Regrets says:

So excited to see how this race goes for you, I will be sending PR vibes your way! Hope to see you – maybe we’ll be in the same corral? I’m in 14!

You’ve done so well during training, and now it’s time for fun. I’ll keep my fingers crossed too that the weather is good for the race.

11. SuzLyfe says:

Good luck! You got this!

12. Your training has been going so well and you are getting stronger as a runner so I have no doubt you’ll crush these goals! Have fun!

13. Good luck with your first race of the season! You have been training hard! Can’t wait to hear how it goes!

14. Rachel says:

Good luck! You’re going to do great. I look forward to your recap!!

15. Wishing you all the best and clear blue skies! I am also racing this weekend – another 10km. It wil be my second race in two weekends so looking forward to a bit of a break next week!

16. MB Jackson says:

Fingers crossed for goal- A!

17. It’s looking a little chilly but great running weather! 3rd time is the charm you got this!

18. Whoo hoo! This is a great plan and you have definitely been putting in the work! I am so excited for you and know you are going to rock it!

19. I’m doing a St. Patrick’s race (10K) on Saturday…and it’s supposed to start snowing Friday night. Yes. Fun, huh!

20. Good luck this weekend, run hard and have a great time letting all that hard work and training pay off for ya!

21. Juliana says:

You’re going to rock this race!! Can’t wait to see how you do!

22. Marcia says:

Hope you have a great race and there’s no rain in the forecast!

23. angela@marathonsandmotivation.com says:

These all sound like great goals! You are going to rock it, have a wonderful race!!! 🙂

24. Pingback: Friday Five – Yay for RnRDC Weekend! | From Dancing to Running

25. It was soooo great to see you Sunday morning before the race!!!

26. I’m late to commenting on this so will have to read your race recap but hope it went well!

27. Pingback: 2017 Rock ‘n’ Roll DC Half Marathon Recap | From Dancing to Running