Rock ‘n’ Roll DC Half Marathon Training Log – Week 9

After a couple of difficult weeks filled with illness and difficulty with keeping up with my training, this past week was so much more positive.  Not only did I fit in my three planned runs, but I also got to the gym twice for cross and weight training.  Yay!

Monday, February 27th

I ended a stressful day at work by heading out the door for my first run of the week.  Apparently running for stress relief was just what I needed, as my average pace was 9:15!  My splits were just as incredible: 9:43, 9:03, 9:07, 2:12 (last 0.25 miles).

Feeling great after a very strong run at the end of a stressful day

Feeling great after a very strong run at the end of a stressful day

Tuesday, February 28th

I had to stay at school late and when I got home I decided to play with my little man instead of doing strength training.  The smile on his face as we played with his toys together was well worth the unplanned rest day.

Wednesday, March 1st

I kicked off the first day of the new month with a visit to the gym, where I spent 30 minutes on the elliptical and 30 minutes doing a total body weight training session.

Thursday, March 2nd

My first run of March was a strong run.  Since I headed out for my run just before sunset, I felt the pressure to run as fast as I could in order to get back home before it got too dark outside.  And that motivation worked, as my average pace was 9:33 and my splits were 9:49, 9:17, 9:39, and 9:28.

I felt great at the end of my first run of March

I felt great at the end of my first run of March

Friday, March 3rd

Friday was a planned rest day.  I’m usually pretty good about following that part of my training plan 100%. 🙂

Saturday, March 4th

Unlike last Saturday when I wore shorts and a tank top for my long run, this week I had to bundle up and face below freezing temperatures for my last long run of RnRDC training.  Between it being taper time, and the cold air, I completed my run much faster than I initially anticipated that I would.  I felt great during the entire run, and maintained 4:15/0:45 run-walk intervals for the entire run.  My splits during my 6 mile run were: 9:55, 10:07, 10:01, 10:10, 9:56, 9:39.

Despite the cold air, I felt great during my last long run for this training cycle.

Sunday, March 5th

I headed back to the gym to close out the week with another 30 minutes on the elliptical and a 30 minute total body weight training session.  I left the gym sore, excited to be feeling the immediate effects of my workout.

Total Weekly Mileage – 19.12 miles (3.09 miles less than week 8)

Total RnRDC Mileage – 165.77 miles

QOTD: Do you try to run fast while tapering, or do you take things super easy during taper time?

I’m linking up with Holly from HoHo Runs and Tricia from MissSippiPiddlin for the Weekly Wrap link up.  I’m also linking up with Courtney for the Training Recap link up.  Be sure to check out their posts as well.

WeeklyWrap

This entry was posted in RnRDC Half Marathon Training, Training and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

56 Responses to Rock ‘n’ Roll DC Half Marathon Training Log – Week 9

1. Looks like a good week of training! That smile says it all. I hope things continue in this positive direction!

2. You are having some great runs, way to go! It seems so long since I’ve followed a training plan that I don’t know what kind of a pace I run at, ha ha! It’s all good. I’d probably pick up my speed though as I feel like I would be missing something.

3. Brilliant come-back! Well done on a really good week of training x

4. Hope you have good weather for the race it’s been so crazy you never know!! One year it snowed on that day

5. Sounds like such an awesome week!

I usually take things easy in the taper, but there’s usually some speedwork still, too. But this year I have Coach R to tell me what to do. I’m very good at following direction & I love me a rest day too!

6. Great week- excited to cheer you on this weekend!

7. kookyrunner says:

Glad that you are feeling better! Looks like you had a great week of training as well.

Have fun this weekend at the race!

8. hanzelboyzmama says:

Great week! Yahoo!! You look so adorable in your run-selfies! I usually take taper very easy – and taper and rest away. On my marathon taper week I only ran twice at the beginning of the week! 🙂

9. The impending darkness is definitely a good motivator to run. I’ve been caught in the dark a few times!

Awesome job this week! I know that the time spent with your sweet little guy was well worth it, too! 🙂

11. Awesome week of runs!!!

12. Kim Hatting says:

My taper is easy…. I try to take things as easy as possible since I’ve done all the “hard stuff” during the earlier weeks . You had a great week!

13. Rachel says:

It depends on what race I’m training for. If it’s a fun run, my coach usually gives me easier miles. If it’s a goal race then I’m working hard up until race day. 🙂

I’m looking forward to DST to get more light at the end of the day. It gets chilly when the sun goes down, and I’m hoping with more daylight, I can use the running path behind my building and skip the treadmill.

15. Way to go!! I’ve taken a few unplanned rest days to play with Mr. Moose. It’s always worth it 🙂

16. milebymileblog1 says:

Great job with your workouts this week! I also had to layer up on Saturday after wearing shorts last weekend. Its been so hard to adjust back to the cold weather!

Great job on those runs this week! I usually take it easy during taper because I’m so paranoid about having the bad luck to injure myself at the last minute.

18. Great job on your runs and yay for getting to the gym twice!! Awesome paces too!! So glad everyone is on the mend and feeling better!

19. Great work!

Sometimes I’ll go short and fast during taper, or I’ll do slower, longer runs. It just depends on what my legs and my brain are saying.

20. Coco says:

Yay! And just like that, race weekend is almost here. Of course, the weather is still up in the air, but it looks like you are ready for a great race no matter what.

21. Janelle @ Run With No Regrets says:

Your face says it all…I can see the joy you experienced in these past week’s runs, congrats! I’m excited for the race this weekend, look forward to seeing you there!

22. MCM Mama says:

Great job on your training cycle. Have a wonderful race on Saturday! Fingers crossed that the weather is decent.

23. Jenny says:

You look so good for this upcoming marathon.. I hope you get all the success on Saturday !!
    Wish you Best of Luck 🙂

24. you rocked your workouts! and best of luck at RnRDC-hoping the weather cooperates!

as for your question, i like to take it easy during my taper and thrown in a few race pace miles when I can.

25. Those splits are awesome, I think you’re going to do great in your upcoming race!
    I think too many people taper to the extreme and lose the whole purpose behind it, whether you taper fast or slow I think just knowing your body and doing what feels best that doesn’t over tire you out is the best plan, and if you’re running easy splits like that with no exhaustion feeling then I think it’s a great way to taper! You always train well and race well, your going to rock this race!!!

26. MB Jackson says:

Great week lady! I agree, sometimes an unplanned rest day is the best! Keep smiling!

27. HoHo Runs says:

I hope everyone is feeling better in your house. Great paces this week! It sounds like you are ready for that half. I usually keep things pretty easy during taper but add in a few strides during one run for good measure. Good luck! Thanks for linking, Kathryn!

28. joteach5 says:

Lol! I started running fast because I was always on a time crunch to get back home to the hubs and kids. I’m sure it is tough balancing your runs, work and little man.

29. Super productive week for you Kathryn!
    To answer your question, heck it would be great if I had a real system. I do tend to try and keep on track since I race so much. Goal races are different, though. This week I took an extra day to recover after my half and I didn’t do speed work but 75% yesterday in preps for the half this weekend.
    Honestly I get confused if I’m training, tapering or recovering each week.