March 2017 Goals

Even with this past month being the shortest month of the year, and both little man and I getting sick again, I remained extra motivated and determined to make February a strong month.  I did my best to not let illness steer me too far off track, and though I did take some unplanned rest days, overall I had a great month and was very successful in working towards meeting my February goals.

feb-2017-goals

1.  Log at least 80 miles.

Grade: A

Even with getting sick and missing a couple of planned workouts, my February mileage total was 84 miles.  My January and February mileage combined puts me at 155.3 miles, or 16% of the way towards meeting my yearly goal of 1,000 miles.  I’m only slightly behind (just over 11 miles to be exact) of where I need to be in order to be completely on track for meeting my 2017 goal, and I have no doubt that I’ll be able to still reach my goal this year.

2.  Strength train at least twice per week.

Grade: B+

While I spent more time focusing on strength training last month than I did in January, I’d still like to have been able to spend more time on strength training than I did.

3.  Focus on self-care.

Grade: B

While I did make time for myself last month and tried my best to destress when I found my stress levels to be high, I could have tried to make even more time for myself.

As I shared last week, Spring is going to be an incredibly busy season for our family, and we have a lot on the calendar for March.  It’ll certainly be a juggling act to balance my work and personal life with my training life.  As always, I’ll be using my goals to help keep me focused and on track.

march-2017-goals

1.  Log at least 90 miles.

Since I met my February mileage goal it only seems natural to increase my goal for the coming month.  While I’m not sure that this goal is entirely realistic given that after I run Rock ‘n’ Roll DC in a week and a half I’ll be taking a short break from half marathon training and focusing more of my time on cross and strength training, I’m still ambitious and want to see what I’m able to accomplish.

2.  PR at Rock ‘n’ Roll DC.

Although I’ve battled being sick a couple of times while training for Rock ‘n’ Roll DC, I’ve overall had a very productive and successful training cycle.  Even though the course for Rock ‘n’ Roll DC is quite hilly, I’ve been doing a lot of my training runs on hilly routes and can’t wait to see what I’m made of on race day.

3.  Focus on cross and strength training post race.

After I run Rock ‘n’ Roll DC next Saturday, I plan to take a couple of weeks off from half marathon training.  During that time, I plan to focus less on running and more on cross and strength training.  Not only will it be a good physical break, but it’ll be a good mental break as well.

QOTD: What are your goals for March?

I’m linking up with Ange and Carmy for the Monthly Goals linkup.  Be sure to check out their posts as well.

monthly goals linkup

This entry was posted in Motivation and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

29 Responses to March 2017 Goals

1. I start marathon training this month, so that’s the goal…

2. kookyrunner says:

It takes a lot of motivation to workout when you are sick, and then to get back to working out once you are feeling better!

I have a few goals for March, but my main goal is to get in all my workouts for half-marathon training.

Great job with February, especially with being sick! Good luck at RnR 🙂 Do you know when you’re planning on hitting the expo? I’ll probably be there Friday late afternoon-ish.

4. You killed your milage goal last month! Great job considering you were sick! I smell a PR for you in DC, just saying 😉

5. 26.2 training officially begins! (and continued daily exercises to keep the glutes and hips strong) 😉

Great job! My one goal is to not skip so many running workouts this month, and hopefully I won’t “have” to. I skipped a few in February, and almost got the same mileage as January. I should be able to hit more mileage with a full month of runs.

7. I am so hoping this nice weather hangs around for you to crush RnR!

8. Rachel says:

Sounds like you’ve got some great goals for March!

9. I didn’t realize RNR DC was a hilly course. Good luck with that race.

My only goal for March is to complete the NYC half (and get my house ready for spring….i still have my Christmas/winter door mat out and a few other decorations)!

10. MB Jackson says:

good luck with RNR DC- you got this! I have a half at the end of the month and I am looking forward to that!

11. tonee78 says:

These are great goals! I am def focusing on more strength and cross training this year.

12. March goals? Finish some solid training for Publix Savannah Women’s Half, while having a nice Gate River Run. Easier said than done, but I’m excited to give it my best shot!

I’m so pumped for your DC race! You are going to kick booty!

13. Way to go! 84 miles! I think you’ll easily do 90 in March. Good luck in the half! I was signed up for NYC Half but had to defer because I currently can’t run =(

14. Janelle @ Run With No Regrets says:

Congrats on having a great February despite getting sick! I’m very excited to see how this weekend goes, I know you can nail that PR as you’ve been working so hard!

15. Good luck at RnR DC!