Rock ‘n’ Roll DC Half Marathon Training Log – Week 7

Unfortunately, illness has plagued our household again.  It started with just little man getting sick, and now I’m sick too.

Monday, February 13th

My body was still feeling sore from my 12 miler the Saturday prior, and my lower back and right shoulder were really bothering me, so after my weekly chiropractor visit I decided to take an extra rest day.  I’m so glad that I listened to my body because my body needed the extra rest.

Tuesday, February 14th

After some slower than usual weekday runs last week, I was able to push my pace a bit during Tuesday’s run.  Not only was it a great run because I felt like I was flying, but I also set a new weekday personal distance record and ran 4.81 miles in 45 minutes.  Although my pace wasn’t entirely consistent (9:39/9:13/9:22/9:26/7:21 last 0.81 miles), I was definitely celebrating the 9:22 pace post run.  I capped off my run with 15 minutes of strength training.

Celebrating a great run by mimicking the flying feeling

Celebrating a great run by mimicking the flying feeling

Wednesday, February 15th

I had to take another unplanned rest day on Wednesday after getting the dreaded phone call from little man’s daycare that he was fussy, had a fever, and needed to be picked up.  One visit to the pediatrician later revealed why he wasn’t himself: he had yet another double ear infection.

Thursday, February 16th

Thankfully I was still able to get my planned run in on Thursday.  I spent the first half of my run running into the wind, which slowed me down a bit, but I’m still quite proud of the splits that I was able to accomplish: 9:49/9:47/9:38/9:49/6:01 last 0.64 miles.

Not only was it windy for Thursday's run it was also cold. Is it Spring yet?!?

Not only was it windy for Thursday’s run it was also cold. Is it Spring yet?!?

Friday, February 17th

After work I headed to the gym where I spent 30 minutes on the elliptical and 25 minutes doing a total body weight training workout.  It was a great way to kick off the weekend.

Saturday, February 18th

Saturday morning we packed up and drove to New Jersey to spend the long weekend at my father-in-law’s house.  During the drive up I started coughing a lot, and was feeling quite tired and achy by later that afternoon.  I decided to put my long run off by a day in hopes that I would feel better on Sunday.

Sunday, February 19th

Although I woke up still coughing on Sunday, I wasn’t achy and decided to attempt my run.  It was a mentally and physically challenging 10k, but I pushed through and earned my ZOOMA Run Love Challenge medal.  Since I wasn’t feeling 100% my pace was definitely slower than usual.  The silver lining was the weather though.  How often is it sunny and in the mid-60s in February, and you get to run in a tank top outside?  The weather definitely made up for how I felt both during and after the run, as well as my slow pace and splits (10:14/10:15/10:10/10:33/10:26/10:45/2:05 last 0.2 miles).  I was so glad when I was done with my run, and unfortunately by Sunday evening I was feeling achy again.  I doubt that I’ll get all of my workouts in this coming week, particularly during the early part of the week, if I’m still feeling sick.

Don't let my smile fool you. I was not feeling well during or after my run.

Don’t let my smile fool you. I was not feeling well during or after my run.

Total Weekly Mileage – 19.03 miles (7.87 miles less than week 6)

Total RnRDC Mileage – 124.44 miles

QOTD: How has the weather been in your area?  Does it feel more like Winter or more like Spring?

I’m linking up with Holly from HoHo Runs and Tricia from MissSippiPiddlin for the Weekly Wrap link up.  I’m also linking up with Courtney for the Training Recap link up.  Be sure to check out their posts as well.

WeeklyWrap

This entry was posted in RnRDC Half Marathon Training, Training and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

53 Responses to Rock ‘n’ Roll DC Half Marathon Training Log – Week 7

1. Your son is in that age group where they get sick all the time! I see a lot of frustrated parents in my clinic with little guys his age who seem to have a perpetually runny nose. That’s because the little ones are always touching everything and putting their hands in their mouths. This too will pass–and he’ll have a rock solid immune system! Hang in there, mama! ❤

2. Coco says:

Oh, I hope your little guy is OK. My son had a string of ear infections but just before we were going to consider having tubes put in they stopped . I hope you’re feeling good too. A run in the sunshine can be great medicine for the soul at least.

3. We definitely have had spring-like weather in Iowa…but word on the street is it’s gonna come to a crashing halt on Thursday…

4. hanzelboyzmama says:

This week should be about rest my dear!!! Great week for you last week! But… don’t feel guilty about taking time to rest and recover. I hope your little one is doing better since the ear infections. Poor baby! 😦 yes!weve also had AMAZING weather in mn too! I ran in a sports bra today!

5. Ugh. I hate getting sidetracked like that, but in the end, you got the job done!

You still had a great week despite it all! Good job…hope you both feel better soon!

7. I hope you can rest today and are feeling better, friend!

8. It’s always so hard when you’re little one is sick 😦 Hope you both are feeling much better soon!

9. Lacey says:

Great job in completing your Zooma 10k virtual race and not even feeling well. What a cute medal. It’s funny that it is a snowflake and you ran it in a tank top! So unlike February weather! Unfortunately I do not think it is not here to stay Hope you feel better this week!

We’ve had great weather, but it is supposed to get chilly again starting Thursday. Tomorrow the weather looks great, and now that I found my running vest (!), I want to get out and do a few miles after work tomorrow.

11. Rachel says:

Aw I’m sorry you’re not feeling well. But you had a great week of training!!

12. I remember those days too well when my sons would get sick and then pass it on to either my husband or me (or both). Good for you for being willing to adjust your weekend run to the day you were feeling the best, even if you weren’t feeling 100%. I hope you’re feeling better today!

13. I am just loving all of this weather and maybe it will knock all of your germs out

14. Elle says:

It is so hard to rest when training for something special but sometimes we just need to do that to take care of ourselves.

15. milebymileblog1 says:

Great job this week! It was smart of you to rest when you needed a break. Hope you and your son are feeling better!

16. Aweee I hope you feel better soon!

17. Hope the little man is doing OK and hope you’ll be feeling better soon too. Don’t feel guilty for taking some rest to recover if you’re not feeling it! Despite not feeling too great, your training was still great! 🙂

The weather has been looking up lately! Deffo feels like it’s coming into spring, a couple of times I’ve been caught out and worn a layer too many thinking it’d be cold!

18. So sorry you are feeling sick and that your little man is sick. I took my son to the doctor Friday and he had a double ear infection plus strep. Guess who caught the strep throat? Yea I have it too. I love your Zooma medal! I hope you feel better soon!

19. Hope you guys are both on the mend, soon! Double ear infections stink 😦

You managed a great week of runs, though! And way to pull out the Zooma virtual! DC is going to be so wonderful for you!

20. Mary says:

I hope both you and the little man are feeling better soon! I’m glad you got your race in on the weekend despite everything.

21. pondernwonder says:

I hope you get some rest and feel better soon. Sometimes, some physical and mental rest is all that’s needed to bounce back.

22. Janelle @ Run With No Regrets says:

Sorry to hear about you and your son’s sickness! You’ve done a great job with your paces and had really solid runs! The ZOOMA medal is super cute!

23. MB Jackson says:

Way to stick it out and get your ZOOMA challenge run done! Congrats! I hope your little man and you feel better soon, I remember those daycare years!

24. HoHo Runs says:

I hope you and the little man are feeling better now. The flu has been in our house and I’m hoping my flu strong holds strong. You had a great Valentine’s Day run! Don’t you just love those runs where you feel like you’re flying? Cute picture too! Zooma did a great job with that 10k medal. Thanks for linking, Catherine!

25. Renée says:

I’m so sorry your little man has been sick and that you got the bug as well. It sucks! From the looks of it though you still had what I would consider to be a good week. Hopefully you both are already on the mend by this point!!

The weather here is ever changing. I’m sick of it to be honest. two days ago it was sunny. now we are back to rain and wind from hell again. Ugh. spring please come soon!!

26. I hate sickness came to visit but sounds like it’s looking better for you. Those are great splits for your run and so is that virtual run medal. I kept saying I was going to jump in this one and I never did.
    I have a 10k actual race and also a virtual I’m going to knock out this weekend. I’m really enjoying this nice weather we’re having but I’m holding my breath for where I see at least one more below freezing period.

27. Pingback: Rock ‘n’ Roll DC Half Marathon Training Log – Week 8 | From Dancing to Running