Rock ‘n’ Roll DC Half Marathon Training Log – Week 5

After two very rough weeks, this past week was all about getting back on track.  And for the most part, I accomplished that goal.

Monday, January 30th

After last Sunday’s 10 miler, I took a complete rest day on Monday.  I don’t usually like not working out on Mondays, but my body was craving the rest, so rest is what I gave it.

Tuesday, January 31st

After work I headed home as quickly as I could.  The high on Tuesday hit the mid-50s and I wanted to soak up as much of the Spring-like weather as I could.  After a difficult couple of weeks, it felt great to close out the month with a strong 4 mile run.  My splits were 9:34/9:47/9:43/9:34.  Even though my splits weren’t very consistent, it felt good to be able to enjoy the weather while outside running.

It felt great to finish out January with 4 strong miles.

It felt great to finish out January with 4 strong miles.

Wednesday, February 1st

Since I’m determined this month to have a much better month than I did last month, I knew that I wanted to start the month off on the right foot.  So I headed straight to the gym after work, and spent 30 minutes on the elliptical followed by a 30 minute full body weight training session.  I left the gym feeling sore but satisfied with my workout.

Thursday, February 2nd

Since I had a late afternoon doctor’s appointment, there wasn’t time for me to workout by the time that I arrived home.  But my body, particularly my lower body, was incredibly sore after Wednesday’s workout, so a rest day wasn’t a bad thing.

Friday, February 3rd

You may have noticed up until this weekend that I haven’t been sharing many pictures or stories on Instagram over the past couple of weeks, and that was partly due to my phone not fully functioning.  Last weekend it stopped taking pictures, so unless I had access to Preston’s phone I wasn’t able to take pictures.  After putting off replacing my phone for a couple of weeks by letting others things take precedence on the priority list, I finally made it top priority to stop by AT&T on my way home from work to replace my phone.  It was a several hour affair to replace the phone and transfer everything over, but I’m so happy to finally have a fully functional phone again.  By the time that I finished the process, it was late in the evening and working out was out of the picture.

Saturday, February 4th

Late Saturday morning little man and I headed out for our first run together since his surgery.  Only a couple of minutes into the run he fell asleep in the stroller, which made for a peaceful run for me.  During my 10k run I maintained 4:15/0:45 intervals, minus one extra long walk break at the halfway point so that I could take a Gu.  I struggled during most of the second half of my run to find my rhythm again, which made for some very inconsistent splits: 10:36/10:32/10:14/11:35/10:43/10:41/2:02 (last .2).

Boy was it cold out there for Saturday's run! It was 30 degrees, with a wind chill of 21, when I started my run. I pushed against the wind on a somewhat hilly route and reached a new stroller PDR. Little man didn't seem to mind the cold and wind one bit and napped during my entire run!

Boy was it cold out there for Saturday’s run! It was 30 degrees, with a wind chill of 21, when I started my run. I pushed against the wind on a somewhat hilly route and reached a new stroller PDR. Little man didn’t seem to mind the cold and wind one bit and napped during my entire run!

Sunday, February 5th

As part of my effort to make up for my missed weekday run, as well as to spend more time focusing on strength training this month, I headed to the gym midafternoon, where I spent 35 minutes on the elliptical and 35 minutes doing a full body weight training workout.  The gym was almost empty, likely due to people getting an early start on celebrating the Super Bowl.  Fine by me, as I love it when the gym feels empty.  It makes it so much easier to workout!

Total Weekly Mileage – 16.51 miles (1.94 miles less than week 4)

Total RnRDC Mileage – 78.40 miles

QOTD: What did you do for the Super Bowl?  Quiet evening at home, like at our house, or did you go to a big Super Bowl party?

I’m linking up with Holly from HoHo Runs and Tricia from MissSippiPiddlin for the Weekly Wrap link up.  I’m also linking up with Courtney for the Training Recap link up.  Be sure to check out their posts as well.

WeeklyWrap

This entry was posted in RnRDC Half Marathon Training, Training and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

50 Responses to Rock ‘n’ Roll DC Half Marathon Training Log – Week 5

1. Coco says:

Oh, I’d be so frustrated over a week without my phone! If I couldn’t take pictures, how could I know it happenned? 😉 My mile splits vary with the hills, so they are rarely even, but do follow a pattern. Here’s to another great week!

2. I pride myself on not being “phone dependent,” but every now and then something happens to my phone and I’m sent into a panic attack. So….I’m a little more co-dependent than I’m willing to acknowledge LOL Congrats on the solid week!

3. There’s nothing worse than having to go to get a new phone, except buying a car! Why is it such a process?

Glad you had a better week.

4. Janelle @ Run With No Regrets says:

Glad to see your training is back on track, great job! I’m starting to think I need to do more strength training…what types of exercises do you do in the gym?

We stayed home and had snacks to watch the Super Bowl. It was a great game even though the Patriots ended up winning!

5. I am not sure I could go a week without my phone but it would probably be liberating! This month is starting out great for you

6. Great job on your mileage and taking your little bundle out for a run while he napped. So sweet! We had a few people over to eat crawfish last night. It was a lot of fun! Hope you have a great week!

7. A great week of running! I kinda miss those days of the girls napping in the stroller when I run. However, they can also run with me know for at least 1km! No SB parties for me, I usually take it all in the day after.

8. laurenweiner says:

I have to use my phone for work, so its imperative that it works! But – I wish I could be less dependent on it. We had a quiet evening at home for the Super Bowl and it was lovely. Sounds like you were balanced in reaching your goals and listening to your body. Great week!

9. Phone issues are the worst! It’s very stressful but also kind of stress-relieving at the same time, which is weird haha. I’m glad the little man is doing well!

I love a quiet gym. I took my run outside yesterday, when I figured people would be getting ready for the game. The path was quite busy though, with plenty of runners and cyclists. It was great weather for running, and I was a little overdressed.

11. I would lose my mind without my phone!!! Glad you are able to take photos again.

12. Marcia says:

I’m glad you got your phone issues sorted. The whole new phone process is so stressful. We had enjoyed Super Bowl evening at home. Can’t say it was too quiet though. ; )

13. hanzelboyzmama says:

Sounds like you had a great week. Kudos to you for pushing that stroller with feels like 21 temps! You’re little guy is so cute!

14. Great job on getting your workouts back on track! Not having a phone for that long would have driven me crazy! We were home for the Super Bowl yelling at the TV – so happy the Patriots pulled it off 🙂

15. Rachel says:

Ugh, not having a phone. #firstworldproblems, right? But it would totally drive me batty!!! It is, sadly, my life blood these days. Great week!

Yay for a fully functioning phone again! It sounds like the training is definitely picking up 🙂

17. Oh I’d be hopeless without my phone, I depend on it so much its embarrassing! 😉

Sounds like you’ve had a great start to the week!

18. Are you like me and just hate to go to the AT&T store? Man I’d rather chew off my right arm, that place is always busy. What kind of phone did you get anyway?
    We got home from New Orleans about 6PM and my hubs went straight to my parents house to watch the game, me I stayed home unpacked and enjoy the quiet time! No regrets!

19. THat’s a pretty great week, regardless. And it’s always nice to get a new phone. Spending time at the store stinks, but the end result is always a win!

We went to a really low-key party at a friend’s house. I wanted to bail, but we ended up having a really nice time, so I’m glad I sucked it up.

20. milebymileblog1 says:

I used to love going to the gym on Sunday during footballs games when it was nice and empty:) Great job this week!

21. HoHo Runs says:

It sounds like you had a very productive training week with a variety of activities. It is very hard to be without our little handheld computers. Occasionally, I’ll leave it at home on purpose if we go to dinner or a movie. Even that small amount of time feels weird. We stayed in and had a very quiet Super Bowl viewing. I thought half time was awesome! Thanks for linking, Kathryn!

22. Glad you’re getting back out there with your little man!
    I like the intervals you are using. I’m looking to change mine. I still think I need to keep them though to prevent injury! Have a good week Kathryn!

23. I’m glad you are getting back into the swing of things! Glad that little man seems to be doing great post surgery!

24. Awww, little man is so adorable! I wish I’d been into fitness when my kids were little. They (and I) missed out on so many wonderful experiences like the ones you’re having together with your family.

Yay for having a working phone again! Great job this week! 🙂