February 2017 Goals

Last month was quite the roller coaster of a month.  I started the month, and year, off strong, and was on track with my goals for the first couple of weeks.  Mid-month I felt like my fitness started to unravel a bit as I faced numerous challenges (the entire family getting sick, my grandfather’s death, and little man’s surgery, just to name a few), and I found it very difficult to stay on track.  I did the best that I could, and that’s really all that I can ask of myself in trying to reach last month’s goals.

january-2017-goals

1.  Log at least 80 miles.

Grade: B+

My mileage total for the month was 71.4 miles (89% of my goal).  Given that I missed several weekday workouts, I’m quite proud of my final total for the month.  With my 2017 goal being to log 1,000 miles, this puts me at 7% towards my yearly goal.  I would have needed to log 83.3 miles to be 1/12th of the way towards reaching my 1,000 mile goal, so I know that I’m not too far behind in reaching my bigger goal, and know that I have plenty of time to get caught up.

My Run the Year team reached our first big milestone last weekend, and we earned our first 100 mile badge.  I’m so proud of our team and the progress that we’re making (I’m running my miles while my father-in-law and sister-in-law are walking their miles).  Our team total is currently 117.67 miles.

100-miles

2.  Strength train at least twice per week.

Grade: B-

While I technically only failed to meet this goal during one week last month, several of my strength training sessions were short 10-15 minute sessions at home.  I’d like to see if I can push myself to find the time for some longer sessions this month.

3.  Focus on healthy eating.

Grade: B

Overall, I was successful with getting my eating back on track last month.  I was very good for the first part of the month about avoiding the very tempting candy bowl in the school library.  However, as the stress piled up during the second half of the month, I didn’t always stay on track with the healthy eating.

After a difficult couple of weeks, I’m incredibly motivated to refocus this month, and am looking forward to a much better month.

feb-2017-goals

1.  Log at least 80 miles.

I would need to log at least 85 miles to be 100% on track with my yearly mileage goal, but knowing that February is the shortest month of the year, I want to give myself some grace this month and not put unrealistic pressure on myself.

2.  Strength train at least twice per week.

In addition to getting the strength sessions in, I’d also like to focus on longer sessions this month.  I’d like for my strength training sessions to be at least 20-30 minutes in length.

3.  Focus on self-care.

Last February I participated in a self-care challenge, which is inspiring me to focus on taking care of myself again.  After an incredibly stressful and difficult couple of weeks, I need to focus on taking care of myself in addition to all of the responsibilities that I have.

QOTD: What are your goals for February?

I’m linking up with Ange and Carmy for the Monthly Goals linkup.  Be sure to check out their posts as well.

monthly goals linkup

This entry was posted in Motivation and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

42 Responses to February 2017 Goals

1. Despite some hard life events, you did great at trying to reach your goals. Though self care isn’t a main goal for me, I’ve been focusing more and more on it lately.

2. kookyrunner says:

I think it’s definitely hard to stay on track when life happens, but you did a really great job of keeping focused.

3. Janelle @ Run With No Regrets says:

Considering the tough month you’ve had, you really did a great job sticking to your goals. I definitely need to step up my healthy eating habits and self-care…I have a free massage from Christmas that I have yet to book! Hope you have a great February!

4. I’m impressed with your ability to stay on track even with all that life threw your way. Just keep moving forward. Self care is the hardest thing for us–we have to meet everyone else’s needs first. I always make sure to get my workouts in. Always.

5. You know me, I don’t make monthly goals but I do like the idea of self care. I need to do more of that, even if it’s just something little like doing my nails at home. We just get so busy in our daily routines and stuff that “needs” to be done that we often neglect the little things for ourselves. I hope you have a great month Kathryn and that your family stays healthy!

6. You had a really stressful month! It’s very difficult to find energy and motivation to do it all when you have little guy. Don’t be so hard on yourself

Self-care is important, especially in times of stress. I actually skipped my run yesterday because my low back was bothering me, and I focused on the exercises my new chiro gave me. Stretching, twisting, breathing, and trying to loosen things up.

8. Self care is definitely that’s easy to neglect, but is so important for our overall well-being.
    Thanks for linking up!

9. I ran 61 miles for January so hoping to have more mileage is my goal for February!

10. Your mileage was pretty much on-point (until the final week or so). Hey, that’s still pretty stellar 😉

11. De Bolton says:

It seems like January gave everyone for a loop I know it did for me. I am grateful for a new month to try to learn from my January and apply it to February. Despite your obstacles it looks like you had a great month.

12. Rachel says:

I think you had a really solid month considering your challenges. February is YOURS!

I have no goals myself… 😉

13. Jessie @ The Acquired Sass says:

I’m impressed by your mileage totals! I am tracking my running mileage for the first time in many years – so I set a super rough goal of 500 miles. I ran 47.5 miles in January, if I keep up that pace I’ll crush my 500 miles goal.1000 miles is ambitious but sounds like you can do it!

14. Carmy says:

Yes! Let’s all focus on our self care this month after a stressful January!

15. Marcia says:

I think you did amazing in light of all the challenges you had in January. I haven’t set detailed goals yet for this month. They’ll involve more running miles and continued healthy eating though.

16. You did a great job considering all of the bumps in your road! You’ve set some very achievable goals for the month…I’m sure you will crush them!

17. You had so much go in in your life last month, I think it’s amazing what goals you did reach!
    Good luck for February!
    I’ve let running slip and I need to pick that up a bit more so that is my goal this month.
    No doubt you’ll achieve yours!!!

18. Toni says:

Looks like you’ve done great with your goals! I ammdoing run the year too! Our team hit 200 miles this month!

19. MB Jackson says:

I love how you include self care- as a young mom that is super important! Take care of yourself first and those handsome guys you hang out with will love you even more! 🙂

20. Elaine says:

Wow you really get into details with your mileage goals – 89% is a pretty good number!
    I don’t have any specific goals for the month – I want to slowly build up my mileage until my training plan starts for a trail half in Jun. Also would like to continue my meditation streak.

21. Pingback: Rock ‘n’ Roll DC Half Marathon Training Log – Week 5 | From Dancing to Running

22. Pingback: March 2017 Goals | From Dancing to Running