Rock ‘n’ Roll DC Half Marathon Training Log – Week 4

When it rains it pours.

If I thought that week 3 of my training was tough, then week 4 was definitely one for the record books.  This past week was a test of my mental, emotional, and physical capabilities.

Monday, January 23rd

Monday was the first of several hard days last week.  My grandfather’s visitation at the funeral home was Monday afternoon and evening.  While it was nice to be able to visit with and catch up with so many members of our extended family, it was an emotionally exhausting day.  Early that morning I did fit in 15 minutes of strength training, focusing on my upper body and abs.  I wish that I would have had time for a longer workout, but training just wasn’t my priority that day, or much of the week for that matter.

Tuesday, January 24th

Early Tuesday morning I headed to the hotel fitness center to run on the treadmill.  I slogged through my run, and after just two miles had to call it quits.  Throughout the entire run, but especially during the second mile, I battled terrible side cramps.  How I felt during the run was symbolic of the day, as my grandfather’s funeral was that day.

Two physically and emotionally difficult miles was all that my body and mind could handle the morning of my grandfather's funeral.

Two physically and emotionally difficult miles was all that my body and mind could handle the morning of my grandfather’s funeral.

After spending the day with family, celebrating my grandfather’s life, we left north Jersey around 5:30 p.m.  Thankfully we encountered very little traffic during our drive home, and pulled into the driveway just before 11:00 p.m.

Wednesday, January 25th

Wednesday was the only day last week that I went to work.  I didn’t want to go, but knowing that I hadn’t been at work since the previous Thursday, and that I would be taking the following two days off, I dragged myself into school.  I spent much of the day running around trying to get caught up, and also write sub plans for the rest of the week.  After school, I had to take my sister to the airport and pick up Riley from boarding.  By the time I finally made it home it was almost 7:00 p.m., and I was pooped.

Thursday, January 26th

Thursday put the icing on the cake for my difficult week.  Little man had been scheduled to have corrective eye surgery, and since his ophthalmologist only does surgery at our local children’s hospital one day per month, we really didn’t want to reschedule it, even though my grandfather’s funeral had just been two days earlier.  Thankfully, there weren’t any complications during his surgery, and his recovery at home has been going well.

Little man just prior to going back to the O.R. Hopefully we'll be seeing that smile on his face again sooner than later.

Little man just prior to going back to the O.R. Hopefully we’ll be seeing that smile on his face again sooner than later.

Friday, January 27th

Since little man couldn’t go to daycare, Preston and I were home with him.  Although he’s been in pain and extra fussy and clingy, he has still been sleeping well, so I was able to escape the house for a run during nap time.  It felt great to be able to go for a real run for the first time in almost a week, and it felt even better that I felt as strong as I did during my run.  My splits during my 4.71 mile run were very consistent too: 9:32/9:34/9:37/9:36/6:43.  I ended my run hopeful that the run would mark the start of my return to consistent training.

I was so happy after completing a strong training run, and my first "real" run in what felt like forever.

I was so happy after completing a strong training run, and my first “real” run in what felt like forever.

Saturday, January 28th

Unfortunately, I came down with a stomach bug and was up at 1:30 a.m. sick.  I spent much of the day fighting to find energy, and thankfully little man’s godmother came down from Baltimore to help us take care of him.  Just when I thought that I was making a turn for the better with my training, I was thrown yet another curve ball.

Sunday, January 29th

Thankfully, I woke up Sunday morning feeling much better than I had felt all day on Saturday.  Not only was I feeling better, but I was incredibly motivated to get outside and complete my planned long run of 10 miles.  Since I had no idea how the run would go after almost two weeks of inconsistent workouts, I told myself as I headed out the door that I’d strive to run 8 miles, and push myself to run 10, if I was feeling good.

I felt strong during the first 6 miles of my run.  But as I started my seventh mile, I started to loose energy.  I forged forward, and finished the 10 miles that I had written on my training calendar.  It felt incredible to finish all 10 miles after the past couple of weeks that I’ve had.  My splits were: 10:27/10:23/10:24/10:22/10:23/10:11/10:36/10:27/10:22/10:23.

Jumping for joy after completing my first double digit run November, and the fact that after a difficult two weeks that I still got my planned long run in yesterday.

And to top off the incredible feeling, and to make sure that I met my weekly strength training goal, I also did 15 minutes of core and upper body work that evening.

I’m not going to lie, I’m very frustrated that I haven’t been able to work out consistently for the past two weeks, and was am starting to worry about whether I’d be half marathon ready by March 11th.  Yesterday’s long run gave me the confidence boost I needed after a frustrating couple of weeks.  I’m optimistic that my workouts, and my overall totals, will look much better next week.

Total Weekly Mileage – 18.45 miles (10.58 miles more than week 3)

Total RnRDC Mileage – 61.89 miles

QOTD: How do you get your mind back in the game after multiple difficult weeks in a row?

I’m linking up with Holly from HoHo Runs and Tricia from MissSippiPiddlin for the Weekly Wrap link up.  I’m also linking up with Courtney for the Training Recap link up.  Be sure to check out their posts as well.

WeeklyWrap

This entry was posted in RnRDC Half Marathon Training, Training and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

47 Responses to Rock ‘n’ Roll DC Half Marathon Training Log – Week 4

So sorry about all the events of this past week. I’m glad you’re feeling better! You’re a rock star for doing 10 miles the day after a stomach bug! Awesome job!!

2. What a tough week! I had that stomach bug too, and it was after a tough stretch as well! It’s like you can’t catch a break! I hope that you have a better week. Glad your little guy is recovering well from his surgery. You know I was wondering about that eye….

3. Rachel says:

Aw, I’m sorry to hear you had such a tough week. Things can only look up from here. xxoo

I’m glad to read Little Man didn’t have any complications. I baby-sat a girl who needed corrective eye surgery, and she bounced back like a champ. Great job on those 10 miles too!

5. Cassandra says:

That’s a tough run after a stomach virus. I had that thing a couple weeks ago and it took me a week to feel recovered enough to run. You’re a BEAST!

6. I am so sorry for the loss of your grandfather. I sure hope your son is doing well after his surgery and glad you’re feeling better. My son has allergy/asthma issues and seems like he’s been sick for a month. I haven’t slept well at night because he coughs more in the night. He is slowly getting better but I’m way behind on half marathon training. It’s in two weeks and I’ll’m not ready. I will do the best I can. I hope you have a better week this week!

7. You had quite an emotional week for sure. My son had to have ear tubes put in at that age and it’s not easy at all. Glad to hear he is doing ok. Hope you have a better week!

8. Janelle @ Run With No Regrets says:

I’m so glad that your week ended on a high note with everything that has been going on. I hope your little one is recovering well and that you are feeling better with that bug passed! I think you’re going to do an amazing job at RNR DC, you had an excellent 4 mile and 10 mile run!

9. Congrats on the 10-miler! Glad to hear things are turning around for you.

10. runcanvas says:

You’ve had some big life events to manage. That becomes emotionally and physically draining. You did a great job managing balance and ended the week on a high note. Good job on the 10 miler. I hope that next week offers some relief for ya.

11. Wow. To say you had a tough week would be an understatement. I’m glad you were able to end on a high note with your run, and I hope this week is much much much better! I’m sending good vibes to you and your family, and extra get-well-soon vibes to the little man!

12. Sorry to hear you had a tough week! Hopefully things will be looking up this week!

Great job on the 10 miler at the end of the week!

13. Janalyn Sullivan says:

Holy MOLY girl?! 2 miles in 19 minutes? sigh… I gotta get back to it

14. Toni says:

So sorry for your loss. It’s hard to get your head in the game when so much is going in, I think you did a great job.

15. What a rough week! It’s so hard to train when your kids are sick and then you become sick – been there a few times! You’ll be fine for your half as you’ve had such a great base going into this training. Just keep moving forward!

16. Marcia says:

Oh wow Kathryn I’m so sorry to hear about your grandfather and then all the other stuff you had to deal with at the same time. Very tough week for sure. Don’t worry about your half. You did an amazing job of getting in the training you could. It’ll all work out. Hugs to your little guy!

17. I’m so very sorry for your loss. What a rough few weeks, all the way around. :hugs: Hang in there. January has been a tough one, and I think we just need to look forward to February. ❤

18. laurenruns says:

I’m so sorry to hear about your grandfather! When I’m struggling, I try to literally just check the boxes of getting my gold stars – get butt to gym and complete workout. Get butt to work. Eventually things will start to click again. (I’m in an “out of click” mode though so far today/this week!)

19. Proud of you for pushing through during a tough week. Emotionally draining stuff sometimes affects my workouts, so way to go with that ten miler, especially! Hoping this week is much better!

20. I’m sorry to hear about the loss of your grandfather.
    I’m really glad to hear the surgery went well. You’ve had A Week and I hope this week is an improvement.

21. Sorry you had a bad week, and condolences on the loss of your dear grandfather. I lost my dear 94-year-old uncle on Tuesday after sitting vigil at his bedside for almost a week with my mom. Visitation on Friday, funeral on Saturday, plus had family from out of town stay with us. Exhausting. Looking forward to a better week for both of us!

22. I am glad you got the emotionally challenging week and got that 10 miler in! Being emotionally drained (which has been more common than i would like to admit with writing a dissertation while trying to have a life) can make trainign stuff but pushing through can help. I hope this week is better 🙂

23. HoHo Runs says:

That’s a lot of emotional and physical stuff happening in just one week! I’m impressed you got in two solid runs! I’m glad to hear Little Man did well with his surgery. You hang in there! Things will get back to normal. Thanks for linking, Kathryn!

24. Pingback: Rock ‘n’ Roll DC Half Marathon Training Log – Week 5 | From Dancing to Running