Rock ‘n’ Roll DC Half Marathon Training Log – Week 3

Here’s how a text conversation with my Dad went Friday night after we had spent much of the day texting, e-mailing, and talking on the phone with each other:

Dad: “How are you doing?”
Me: “Stressed, tired, and sad.”
Dad: “Stressed, tired, and sad captures my feelings too.”

Last week was one hell of a week.  I shared last week that little man spent the last part of the week sick.  By the end of the weekend, Preston and I had each gotten sick too.  Little man and I are still sick.

But three of us being sick is far from what made last week what it was.

Monday, January 16th

Preston and I were both off from work on Monday for Martin Luther King day.  Since I had completed an 8 mile run the day prior, I decided to take advantage of my day off to spend some time at the gym.  Between 30 minutes on the elliptical (2.57 miles) and 30 minutes of weight training (upper body, lower body, and abs), despite the tickle that I had in my throat, which was the start of my cold, I left the gym feeling an athlete’s high from a strong workout.

Tuesday, January 17th

I wound up taking an unplanned rest day.  Tuesday was a cold, rainy day, and by the time I got home from work I had a slight headache.  Running in the rain sounded like a miserable idea to me.

Wednesday, January 18th

I felt incredibly achy on Wednesday, so it was another rest day for me.  Little man wasn’t getting any better from his cold and ear infection (in fact, he was getting worse), so we also had to schedule an evening appointment with his pediatrician.

Thursday, January 19th

You would have thought that only having to work three days last week would have made for a great day on Thursday, my last day of work for the week.  But my cold was at its height on Thursday, with full on congestion.  Working out definitely wasn’t in the cards for me.

Friday, January 20th

After several days of feeling miserable, I didn’t think my week could get any worse.  But it did.

Around 7:30 a.m. I called my mom.  She had flown to New Jersey earlier in the week to be with my grandfather (her father), who was in the hospital.  I called wanting to get an update on how he was doing.  The update that I received was far from what I expected.

He had passed away.

My grandfather lived an incredible life, and I'm so thankful that he and little man had the opportunity to get to know each other over the past 13 months

My grandfather lived an incredible life, and I’m so thankful that he and little man had the opportunity to get to know each other over the past 13 months

Thanks to Inauguration Day, Friday was a federal holiday in the DC area, so both Preston and I were off from work.  Thank goodness, because there’s absolutely no way that I could have focused at work or been an effective teacher that day.  I spent much of the day figuring out travel plans and such with my dad, sisters, and father-in-law.  It was a long, hard day.  There simply wasn’t time to work out on Friday.

Saturday, January 21st

Saturday was the first day since Monday that I felt physically well enough to work out.  I bundled little man up, put him in the BOB stroller, and enjoyed 5 stroller miles with him, followed by a 0.30 mile cool down walk.  Since I was still a tad congested, and it was also my first run in almost a week, it was slow going.  But it felt good to get outside and just run.

Sometimes going for a run is the best medicine at the end of a difficult week

Sometimes going for a run is the best medicine at the end of a difficult week

Sunday, January 22nd

We spent Sunday morning doing laundry and packing up for New Jersey, and pulled out of the driveway around 12:30 p.m.  On our way out of town we did a couple of errands, and dropped Riley off for boarding.  By the time we were on the road it was raining, which never makes for an easy drive.  But the rain wasn’t the only thing that made our drive north difficult.  Traffic was absolutely horrible, and little man threw up three times in the car.  We had to stop numerous times to clean him up, change his clothes, and run into a grocery store to buy Pedialyte.

On top of the difficult drive, I battled a migraine all day long too.  I woke up around 3:00 a.m. in excruciating pain, and it wasn’t until mid-morning that I finally felt some relief.  The long day didn’t help matters, so needless to say, working out was far from my priority yesterday.

I hate that I only ran once last week, and worked out twice, but that’s sometimes how things go.  My weekly numbers are the lowest I’ve seen them in quite some time.

Total Weekly Mileage – 7.87 miles (10.11 miles less than week 2)

Total RnRDC Mileage – 43.44 miles

I’ll be honest, I’m not sure what to expect in terms of working out this coming week.  We’ll be in New Jersey for the first part of the week for the visitation and funeral, and visiting with lots of extended family.  I did pack my running shoes, but I have no idea if I’ll have time or feel up for working out.  I’ll be playing things by ear this week.

QOTD: What helps you to cope during difficult weeks?

I’m linking up with Holly from HoHo Runs and Tricia from MissSippiPiddlin for the Weekly Wrap link up.  I’m also linking up with Courtney for the Training Recap link up.  Be sure to check out their posts as well.

WeeklyWrap

This entry was posted in RnRDC Half Marathon Training, Training and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

33 Responses to Rock ‘n’ Roll DC Half Marathon Training Log – Week 3

1. Carla says:

Here? meditation.
    Even if it’s moving ( while I clean, while I do laundry, walking) it regrants everything for me.

2. So sorry about your grandfather. It seems that when it rains, it pours. I hope things get better for you.

3. Janelle @ Run With No Regrets says:

I am so sorry for your loss, I hope you and your family are doing okay during this tough time. I hope you all feel better health-wise, too…being sick can be so miserable because you feel helpless. I’m glad you got to have that 5 mile run….I’m sure it was a sort of therapy.

4. laurenweiner says:

I’m so sorry to hear about your grandfather. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family during this difficult time.

5. So sorry for your loss. What a rough week, hope you all feel better soon. Spending time with family and away from everything else helps me when days/weeks aren’t good ones.

I’m so sorry Kathryn. I’ve been there already this year, with my grandmother’s memorial service last week. I didn’t workout much either, but I also enjoyed being with my family. It helped a lot being with everyone and laughing at all the funny stories we were telling about her.

7. Oh Kathryn I am SO sorry for your loss! I had a tear in my eye just reading this. Please know that I will be thinking of you and your family during this time and I wish the 3 of you a speedy recovery from whatever bug is going around.

8. So sorry to hear about your Grandfather. So sad!

9. So Sorry to hear about your grandfather, what a rough week you’ve had! I hope you start feeling better soon! Colds are terrible, I had one for weeks!

My only coping mechanism for a difficult week is usually running! Its such a great escape, even if it’s just a short one round the block!

10. Sorry for your loss. You have some precious pics (and I’m sure many. many precious memories). 😉 You should not feel guilty for missing some workouts (due to stress, illness, or family time). You’re not gonna lose any fitness over the course of a few missed runs/workouts. Let your body have the downtime it needs right now. Take care…thinking of you…

I am so sorry for your loss, Kathryn. It’s never easy and finding a time to workout in the midst of it all seems so unimportant, especially when spending time with family after a loss. Take it easy this week and rest up! I’ll be thinking of you guys and praying for you this week! ❤

12. Sometimes life makes training not so easy, you’re in such great shape even if you didn’t get out once I don’t think it will hurt you a bit!
    I am so sorry you’ve been sick, I just got over the flu so I totally know a little how you felt. But moms always have it worse because you have a baby and still have to be a mom.
    Very sorry for your families loss as well, I’ll keep you in my prayers this week that you and your family will find the comfort that you need!

13. so sorry to hear about your grandfather and also that yall had sickness going around as well. I hope this week went well for you and you were able to get a run in if there was time. I am keeping you in my prayers!

14. HoHo Runs says:

I’m very sorry to hear about your Grandfather. Your wonderful memories will provide you with comfort. I hope you are feeling better, but don’t feel bad about taking time off. Running will always be there. Thanks for linking, Kathryn.

15. What a week for you friend. I’m so sorry about your grandfather and the sickness that has plagued your household.
    I hope you find some peace this week and hey those running shoes just my come in handy!

16. Pingback: Rock ‘n’ Roll DC Half Marathon Training Log – Week 4 | From Dancing to Running

17. Pingback: Friday Five – Where I’m Looking Forward to Running this Summer | From Dancing to Running

18. Pingback: Chicago Marathon Training Log – Week 8 | From Dancing to Running