Rock ‘n’ Roll DC Half Marathon Training Log – Week 2

Unlike week 1, this past week of my RnRDC training didn’t go exactly as I had hoped that it would.  Little man got sick, which caused me to have to adapt and go with the flow.  Preston’s best friend was also here visiting for the long weekend, which also meant that I had to further adapt my training plan for the week.  Even though I wasn’t able to cross train or lift weights, I did get all three of my planned runs in, and met my weekly strength training goal by doing a couple of at home workouts.

Monday, January 9th

All I had time for was a quick at home strength training workout.  I spent 20 minutes working on my abs and my upper body, during which little man decided to provide me with some additional “resistance training” by trying to use me as a jungle gym while I was trying to work out.  He’s such a silly boy!

Tuesday, January 10th

Tuesday’s run was a hard one.  I ran along on one of my usual out and back routes, and during the second half was running into very strong headwinds, which made the second half of my run extremely brutal.  Somehow, I still managed to run fairly consistent splits: 9:42/9:34/9:37/9:34.  I finished up my run with a short 0.25 cool down walk.  I was cold and just wanted to get home.

Wednesday, January 11th

This was a planned rest day.  I knew that I’d be at work late, and by the time that I got home all I wanted to do was hang out with my boys.

Thursday, January 12th

We were blessed with unseasonably warm weather on Thursday – the high was 70 degrees!  After working late on Wednesday, I left work as soon as I possibly could so that I could get outside and enjoy the weather.  With the nice weather as my motivation, I completed my longest weekday run ever.  In anticipation of marathon training, I’m trying to push myself now to complete longer weekday runs when I can.  Up until this year, most of my weekday runs have been a 5k in length, maybe slightly longer.  I’m trying to push myself to make 4 miles my “weekday usual” now, but with Thursday’s glorious weather I was extra motivated to push myself just a tad further.  My splits were all positive, not negative, but I was outside running in shorts and short sleeves in January, so I could have cared less about my pace: 9:39/9:44/9:46/9:51/6:02 (last .63).  I finished up with an extra long cool down walk – 0.87 miles.

Mother Nature really is incredible sometimes! After snow and ice last weekend, it reached 70 degrees here on Thursday. It felt great to be able to wear short sleeves and shorts for Thursday's training run. The icing on the cake was the beautiful sunset that I got to witness as I finished up my run!

Mother Nature really is incredible sometimes! After snow and ice last weekend, it reached 70 degrees here on Thursday. It felt great to be able to wear short sleeves and shorts for Thursday’s training run. The icing on the cake was the beautiful sunset that I got to witness as I finished up my run!

Friday, January 13th

Even though I had planned to go to the gym for cross training and weight training after work, that plan was quickly averted when I received a phone call from little man’s daycare as I was getting ready to leave work: he wasn’t feeling well and was running a fever of 101.9.  I had no choice but to pick him up early and take an unplanned rest day.

Saturday, January 14th

I had originally planned to complete my long run for the week on Saturday, but we woke up to a very rainy and very cold day.  I instead chose to push my run to Sunday, and did 15 minutes of strength training at home, focusing on abs and my upper body.

Sunday, January 15th

I finished out the week with my 8 mile run.  I pushed little man in the BOB stroller for the first five miles, after which Preston and his best friend had arrived back home from their own gym workout, which allowed me to run the last 3 miles by myself.  I felt strong throughout the entire run, and felt as though I could have kept running at the end.  Looking at my splits, you can see that running with the stroller definitely slowed me down, but hopefully the resistance training will pay off on race day: 10:53/10:18/10:37/11:00/10:21/9:57/10:03/9:31.  I was very cold by the time that I finished my run, and only completed a 0.23 mile cool down walk.

Yesterday's long run was made up of 5 stroller miles (while little man napped), followed by 3 solo miles. Running with the stroller is anything but easy, but hopefully it'll pay off on race day!

Yesterday’s long run was made up of 5 stroller miles (while little man napped), followed by 3 solo miles. Running with the stroller is anything but easy, but hopefully it’ll pay off on race day!

Total Weekly Mileage – 17.98 miles (0.39 miles more than week 1)

Total RnRDC Mileage – 35.57 miles

QOTD: What has the weather been like in your area?

I’m linking up with Holly from HoHo Runs and Tricia from MissSippiPiddlin for the Weekly Wrap link up.  I’m also linking up with Courtney for the Training Recap link up.  Be sure to check out their posts as well.

WeeklyWrap

This entry was posted in RnRDC Half Marathon Training, Training and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

47 Responses to Rock ‘n’ Roll DC Half Marathon Training Log – Week 2

1. Coco says:

The weather was much nicer on Sunday, but I’m trying to “spend” nice weather days on cycling. 🙂

2. Our weather has been cold and windy. Not much for precipitation, but we got some rain last night and it’s all frozen everywhere…..talk about a city-wide ice arena LOL

3. Wow ! 70 degrees?

I hope the little guy is feeling so much better!

4. 70 degrees in January!?! Wow – I could only hope for that. 🙂 ha! We had icicles on eye lashes this morning! Nice job!

5. Great job on your workouts and running! What a sweet picture of your little man! The weather has been so warm here in south Mississippi! We started last week with freezing temps and ended in temps in the 60’s with crazy humidity! Warm again for my run this morning. My kids are off from school so I’m glad I got up early and knocked it out while they slept! Hope you have a great week!

Great job this week, Kathryn! I love the extra resistance training provided by our little guys – I like to do squats while holding mine and he thinks it’s so funny!

7. Rachel says:

Stroller running is a huge challenge. I enjoyed it but I rather enjoyed running without it when I could!

It still sounds like a good week, with wacky weather. I’m itching for a good day in Boulder (maybe 50 degrees) to run outside. It’s been cloudy so far, so not very good running weather yet.

9. I was not a runner when my kids were younger but I have pushed some mrtt strollers lately and those are no joke! Good for you for getting your long run in with yours. Hope he is feeling better

10. MCM Mama says:

This up and down weather is crazy! Good job on getting in some quality workouts. And yes, the stroller running will make you faster when you don’t have it.

11. Elle says:

I saw on IG that your weather had warmed. Lucky you!

12. I ran in shorts twice this past week. SO crazy!! You are getting so much faster!

13. Wow, 70 degrees that is nice! I was thinking my temps in the 60’s were great, but you have me beat!!!
    Great job on the training!
    I’ve taken a niece out on a run pushing in a stroller and that’s not as easy as one would think, so I give you huge props for pushing the lil guy for 5 miles!!!!
    Also, your splits are awesome, I think you’re going to have an awesome DC half with splits like that right now!

14. Way to go with your training – getting it done! The weather has been all over the place here. We had a super warm day last week (shirt and shorts) and now it’s super cold and I’m sitting by our fire 🙂

15. We had the same thing here in NC – snow and ice the weekend before, and mid 70s on Friday. Such is winter in the South! 😀

16. Aw, I’m sorry your little guy was sick. 😦 That’s so hard.

Florida has been crazy. We were down in the 20s and 30s for about a week, and now we are right back to hot, humid and muggy. Annoying. Something in between would be super and much appreciated.

17. carmyy says:

Way to stay running even with that head wind Kathryn!

18. Janelle @ Run With No Regrets says:

We reached nearly 70 degrees last week too…it’s been crazy! I’m glad I was able to run in some warm weather while it lasted!

Sorry your son is feeling sick, I hope he gets better. Great job on your runs, your splits are looking really good!

19. Angela says:

I’ve heard Run Rock n’ Roll races are super fun! I think you’ll have a great time. Looks like you’re training is going great!

20. angela@marathonsandmotivation.com says:

I’ve heard RRnR races are super fun! I think you’ll have a great time with this one! Good luck with the rest of your training!

21. HoHo Runs says:

Everyone seemed to have crazy weather last week! I can’t believe how warm it is here and how cold it was at Disney. I absolutely think that your stroller running will pay off on race day! I upped my regular typical daily run mileage last year. After a few weeks, you won’t even think about it. Thanks for linking, Kathryn!

22. MB Jackson says:

I hope your little guy is feeling better! You young moms that train- kudos to adapting- you do a great job!

23. Hate it when the little ones are sick! It was warm here too almost too warm in my race. Did you hear since the Mississippi Blues race was canceled the people at Rock n Roll Series is giving us a free entry to a few select races. DC was on of them but it was too far and too soon for me to make it work.

24. Pingback: Rock ‘n’ Roll DC Half Marathon Training Log – Week 3 | From Dancing to Running