Rock ‘n’ Roll DC Half Marathon Training Log – Week 1

Even with a week of super cold weather, and a little bit of snow, week 1 of Rock ‘n’ Roll DC Half Marathon Training was a huge success.  After not being “in training” since the beginning of November, and feeling a bit lost with my fitness during the month of December, it feels good to be back “in training.”  I can’t wait to continue training for my 11th half marathon, which I’ll run on March 11th.

(Want to join me at Rock ‘n’ Roll DC?  Use discount code DANCINGTORUNNING to save $15 on your half or full marathon registration.)

Monday, January 2nd

After spending Christmas and the week after at my father-in-law’s house in New Jersey, we drove back to Virginia mid-day on Monday.  After arriving back home I had two doctor’s appointments (my yearly eye exam followed by the chiropractor), but I couldn’t let my first day of my first week of training go by without doing any exercise.  I spent 15 minutes while watching the season premiere of The Bachelor doing strength training, focusing on abs and upper body.

Tuesday, January 3rd

After work I headed out the door immediately after getting home for my first run of the new training cycle.  It was 43 degrees for my 4 mile run, which I ran on one of my regular neighborhood routes.  The enthusiasm of my first run of RnRDC training helped fuel my run, and I felt very strong during all 4 miles.  My splits were also very consistent: 9:38/9:39/9:31/9:23.  I finished up my run with a 0.51 mile cool down walk.

I didn't think that I'd get to complete my first run of this training cycle outside because of the rain throughout the day, and even took my gym bag to work with me. Thankfully the rain let up enough for me to be able to run 4 miles outside to kick off #RnRDC training. (And please pardon the hideous mark on my forehead from my visor!)

I didn’t think that I’d get to complete my first run of this training cycle outside because of the rain throughout the day, and even took my gym bag to work with me. Thankfully the rain let up enough for me to be able to run 4 miles outside to kick off #RnRDC training. (And please pardon the hideous mark on my forehead from my visor!)

Wednesday, January 4th

After work I immediately went to the gym.  I didn’t leave work as early as I would have liked to, and thus didn’t get to work out for quite as long as I would have liked to.  I spent 30 minutes on the elliptical (2.53 miles), followed by 20 minutes of weight training.  Thanks to doing multiple exercises that worked multiple muscle groups at the same time, I was able to get in a full body workout, even in a short time.

Thursday, January 5th

This was one of my planned rest days of the week.  Little man had his one year doctor’s appointment at the pediatrician that afternoon, and after getting home from his appointment we spent the evening together as a family.

Friday, January 6th

To make up for not being able to run on Thursday, I moved my second weekday run to Friday.  It was a cold 27 degrees during my run (with the wind chill at 20 degrees) so I bundled up before heading out the door for a 3.50 mile run.  I’ve never been a fan of running in the cold, but I’m trying to be better about pushing myself out the door even when its cold outside.  I struggled during this run to find my groove, and my splits were a bit all over the place: 10:01/9:00/9:51/4:50 (half mile).  Clearly I need to work on running a consistent pace when its cold outside.  I finished up my run with a 0.28 mile cool down walk.

The wind chill was 20 degrees for Friday evening's run. Anybody that knows me well knows that I hate being cold, so this was quite an accomplishment to not head to the gym and run on the treadmill.

The wind chill was 20 degrees for Friday evening’s run. Anybody that knows me well knows that I hate being cold, so this was quite an accomplishment to not head to the gym and run on the treadmill.

Saturday, January 7th

We woke up Saturday morning to our first snow fall of the year.  It only snowed about two inches in our neighborhood, not even enough to fully cover the grass.  However, it was the first snow with little man big enough to take him outside to play in it (he was only a month old during our blizzard last January).  He wasn’t quite sure what to think of the snow, and had a bit of trouble moving in his winter coat and snowsuit.  His snowboots are also a bit big on him.  Hopefully he’ll have more fun the next time that it snows!

Somebody wasn't quite sure what to think of the snow. Hopefully he'll have more fun next time! ❄️☃️

Somebody wasn’t quite sure what to think of the snow. Hopefully he’ll have more fun next time! ❄️☃️

Outside of playing in the snow, we spent the day inside as a family.  It was a very restful, and relaxing, rest day.

Sunday, January 8th

After church and lunch I headed to the gym to complete my first long run of RnRDC training – a 10k.  Yes, I’m trying to be better about running outside in the cold (the wind chill was in the single digits yesterday afternoon), but I draw the line at icy roads and sidewalks.  Most of the sidewalks in our neighborhood are a sheet of ice, and its not worth the safety risk to me to run outside with ice.  Since I ran on the treadmill, I took the opportunity to complete a progression run, which I find difficult to do when running outside, but its obviously very easy to control the pace on the treadmill.  I ran my first mile at a 10:00 minute/mile pace, and after each mile slowly increased my speed, finishing at an 8:59 pace.  I maintained 4:30/0:30 run-walk intervals, only completing one longer walk at the halfway point in order to take a Gu.  Despite walking into the gym with a headache, I felt both mentally and physically strong until the last mile of my fun, and my head didn’t bother me much while I was running.  However, during my 0.57 mile cool down walk my head started to bother me again, and I began to felt nauseous.  I wound up feeling terrible by the time I arrived back home, and spent the evening battling a full blown migraine.

I've been trying to be better about pushing myself to run outside when it's cold (it was 22 degrees with a wind chill of 6 when I completed my run yesterday), but I draw the line at icy roads and sidewalks. Hopefully it'll start to clear up by the time I next run on Tuesday!

I’ve been trying to be better about pushing myself to run outside when it’s cold (it was 22 degrees with a wind chill of 6 when I completed my run yesterday), but I draw the line at icy roads and sidewalks. Hopefully it’ll start to clear up by the time I next run on Tuesday!

Total Weekly Mileage – 17.59 miles

Total RnRDC Mileage – 17.59 miles

QOTD: Do you find it difficult to stay focused with your exercise when you aren’t following a specific training plan?

I’m linking up with Holly from HoHo Runs and Tricia from MissSippiPiddlin for the Weekly Wrap link up.  I’m also linking up with Courtney for the Training Recap link up.  Be sure to check out their posts as well.

WeeklyWrap

This entry was posted in RnRDC Half Marathon Training, Training and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

60 Responses to Rock ‘n’ Roll DC Half Marathon Training Log – Week 1

1. Jess from JessRunsATL says:

Great first week of training!!! I’m running DC too, it will also be my 11th half marathon! The snow and ice made it down to Atlanta too and definitely threw a wrench in my training. Looking forward to following along

2. Great write up. I’m battling the opposite here. Hot and humid Australian summer! I have to get out early morning or night or it’s just too hot.

3. It was so cold this week-I’m sure if I had access to a treadmill I would’ve done my 5-miler inside instead of outside!! And yes, I do find it difficult to continue running if I don’t have a plan-for the most part like structure. Great first week of training 🙂

4. Rachel says:

Omg this boy is so cute in the snowsuit!!! Lol.

Sounds like you had a great week!

5. tough weather around here for running! Great start to your training

6. Little man is too precious! Solid week back to training, lady! Can’t wait to cheer you on at the race 🙂

Cute photos of the baby in the snow! And it was smart to take the run inside yesterday. I couldn’t believe how cold it felt. I was all about the treadmill this week too. I hope the migraine is gone and you’re feeling better.

I’m fine without a training plan, but then it gets spotty during the holidays. I had fun with family, but I was itching to get back at it last week. I get excited when it’s time to officially start training, but I’m not there yet.

9. Nice week! Most times if I’m not training I just run/workout when I want to. However last week I ran/soccer/snowshoed 5 out of 7 days so I’m hoping this will be a weekly habit in my off season.

10. Debra says:

Solid first week! I actually said in my post this week (also on week 1) how difficult it is for me to stick to regular workouts if I’m not working towards a goal or training for something. I started participating in a monthly challenge in a Facebook group, which helped until I started this cycle, but if I don’t have a goal or a plan, I have basically no focus.

11. Lacey says:

Hey at least you got it done! I do not deal with very cold temps and ice either. We got such nasty weather here this weekend and haven’t been able to do any runs outside. So cute of your little guy in the snow. He will start to love it soon I’m sure!

12. You did SO WELL for your first week of training. I was excited to start my next training cycle but I’ve been under the weather so even the treadmill hasn’t seen much action.

Hopefully little guy will be loving the snow soon. I do remember the pictures you posted last year of all the snow you guys got. That was ridiculous! I hope that doesn’t happen again! m -Mfa

13. ilkasblog says:

Congrats on getting back into a regular training schedule despite the freezing weather! I think December is a particular difficult month to stick to a strict training schedule and January always feels like a fresh start! Your little boy is super cute in his adorable Winter outfit!!

14. carmyy says:

Great workouts this week! I can’t believe it’s been 1 year with your little guy already!!

15. I’m pretty good about running 3-4 times/week when I’m not “in training,” but I don’t do a great job of varying the pace (speed work, etc.). That’s why I try to always have a monthly challenge of some sort as my back-up plan. It keeps me accountable 😉

16. Great job getting it done! It has been super cold in Maine this past week, so I only made it outside once to run. It sounds like you half marathon training is off to a very good start!!

17. Your paces look great!

I remember when the boys were little, both of them hated snow for the first year or so. I don’t know if it was the snowsuits but yes, there were lots of tears!

18. Snow for the first time, love it. Cute lil guy, he’s getting so much taller! Bet it was fun with him and Christmas!
    You had so many fun travels during the holiday’s! Great job on getting back to your workouts, you rock!!!

19. It’s hard for me to get out the door when it’s cold too! It was in the 20’s here in Mississippi this morning. I ran 3 miles faster than usual thanks to cold weather! Great job on all of your runs and good luck at half marathon number 11! I am training for number 15!

20. Coco says:

I hate how long a little snow can mess up running since people don’t shovel their sidewalks! At least they are clear for now. I’m not sure I could make myself do 10K on the TM any more – way to get it done.

21. You are doing awesome!

I go back and forth between needing a plan and not. Right now, I’m kind of in limbo – I came off a hard season, but I have a few more races still in the books for the next few months.

22. I cannot believe how fast you’ve gotten! You go lady!

23. Congrats on a great week of training! Your son is SO adorable in his little snowsuit! Makes me remember when mine were that age. Have a good rest of the week!

24. Janalyn Sullivan says:

Love the training photos and the little guy’s snow reactions! Too good

Great job this week! I love the pictures of your little man in the snow! So cute!!

26. Looks like you had an awesome week!!! Your little guy looks adorable in the snow!

27. I definitely do a better job staying focused when I am following a plan. Love the pics of little man in his first snow. Such a fun time with little ones!

28. Your paces really are picking up do you feel like your back to yourself? I don’t know what to do when I don’t have something on the books. The summer is always harder for me that’s my down time.

29. Great job, Kathryn! Good luck with the race.

30. Pingback: Rock ‘n’ Roll DC Half Marathon Training Log – Week 2 | From Dancing to Running