January 2017 Goals

Even though I shared my goals for 2017 yesterday, I still plan on setting monthly goals throughout the year as well.  I find that when I set smaller goals each month that it helps me in staying on track with my bigger goals.  Its very easy to loose focus and direction when you just focus on the big goals, but I find having milestones to work towards every couple of weeks to be much more manageable.

First, how did I do with my December goals?

dec-2016-goals

1.  Run at least once per week.

Grade: A

Even though I worked out far less than I had hoped to last month, I did manage to run at least once per week.  This will help me as I get ready to get back into half marathon training mode.

2.  Work out at least three times per week.

Grade: B+

Although I did work out at least three times each week in December, some workouts were only 15-20 minutes in length.  Yes, I technically met my goal, but I wish I had worked out for longer than I did on some days.

3.  Focus on quality family time.

Grade: A+++

With my boys on Christmas Eve

With my boys on Christmas Eve

Our little family enjoyed several activities last month, including little man’s first birthday, multiple Christmas celebrations, and an extended visit with my in-laws.

I’m extremely excited about what lies ahead of me this year, with my first big race being Rock ‘n’ Roll DC in March.  After almost two months off from half marathon training, today marks my first day back “in training” since the Wine and Dine Half Marathon back in November.  I’m excited to get back into the training routine, as well as to start 2017 off strong by working towards this month’s goals.

january-2017-goals

1.  Log at least 80 miles.

With my mileage goal for the year being 1,000 miles, 80 miles is just shy of 1/12th of that goal.  While I recognize that this is an ambitious goal, especially with the uncertainty of winter weather this month, if I don’t push myself then I won’t know what I’m capable of achieving.

2.  Strength train at least twice per week.

I need to refocus on my strength training.  Although I’d like to get to the gym multiple times per week to use the weights, I realize that its not always going to be practical to do so.  Sometimes I’ll have to opt for a short strength training session in my basement, and there’s nothing wrong with that.

3.  Focus on healthy eating.

Between little man’s birthday and all of the holiday celebrations that we had last month, I got off track a bit with my eating habits.  I need to focus on planning nutritious meals in order to properly nourish my body.

QOTD: What are your goals for January?

I’m linking up with Ange and Carmy for the Monthly Goals linkup.  Be sure to check out their posts as well.

monthly goals linkup

This entry was posted in Motivation and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

32 Responses to January 2017 Goals

1. Sounds like perfect, achievable goals for the month!

2. carmyy says:

Thanks for linking up! 🙂 I say getting in that 15-20 min work out should count for more because December can be SO hectic! I barely squeezed in my workouts over the holidays – it was definitely not easy!

3. Good for you for making goals each month! You are absolutely right, if you don’t push yourself you’ll never know what you are capable of. I like your spirit!

4. Coco says:

Great goals. My MRTT group got me started on “Quick Strength for Runners” (a book) that is based on 2x/week. So far, so good.

5. Like you, I’m a huge advocate for monthly goals/challenges. All of those “little” things usually lead to bigger accomplishments 😉

6. I took some time off over the holidays too and now I am ready to recharge. Your goals look very realistic

7. It sounds as if you have reasonable goals! Good luck!!!!! Sounds like you had a great 2016. 🙂

8. I haven’t set my goals for 2017 yet…still in the works but I just decided that January will be a month of strength training 2 x week and my ankle PT 4 x week.
    Good luck with your goals!

9. Great goals!

I am going to take this week to figure out where my goals are going to fall out. I think I can definitely increase my annual miles (I don’t know if I can get to 1000, but I guess you never know til you try!). I also have that triathlon in my sights.

I definitely need to focus on healthy eating and strength training after the holidays!

11. Janelle @ Run With No Regrets says:

Congrats on your goals from December, especially that family quality time which is so important! Training mode begins for me this month too, it’ll be fun being back in the grind. I think 80 miles for January is awesome! I’ll see you in DC for the half!

These are great attainable goals! I agree that 15-20kn workouts are good, especially given the business of December!

13. Congrats on a great 2016! My goal this month is to prepare to teach my first exercise class — the date has been set! I will be working very hard on that this month.

14. MB Jackson says:

This sounds like a great start to the year! I have often wondered if I could run a 1000 miles in a year- that is a large number! Good luck!

15. I love how specific your goals are for the month!

16. Pingback: Rock ‘n’ Roll DC Half Marathon Training Log – Week 4 | From Dancing to Running

17. Pingback: February 2017 Goals | From Dancing to Running