Friday Five – Five Possible Races to Run in 2017

The only two races that I’m currently registered for are the Rock ‘n’ Roll DC Half Marathon in March and the Chicago Marathon in October.  Even though much of my focus in 2017 will be on training to run my first marathon, it most certainly won’t be the only race that I run next year.  There’s several other races that I’m currently contemplating registering for, and my decision as to which races I’ll run will depend on how my marathon training plan ultimately takes shape.

Some of the races that I’m considering running in 2017 include:

1.  Loudoun Half Marathon – April 23rd

I’m a huge fan of the race series that our local running store, Potomac River Running, puts on.  Each year I often forget about the Loudoun Half until I see pictures on social media from other runners, but depending on how my training calendar for the year shapes up I might consider running this half marathon in 2017.  There is also an 8k the day before, and an extra medal for running the two day challenge, the LoCo Challenge, which makes this half marathon even more intriguing.

2.  Jaguar 5k – April 29th

This is the local 5k that I’ve run or walked every year for several years now, which is an athletics fundraiser for the first high school that I worked at.  As long as I’m in town and not otherwise busy, I plan to continue running this race every year.

Little man and I after this year's race

Little man and I after this year’s race

3.  ZOOMA Annapolis 10k or Half Marathon – June 3rd

I’m so excited to announce that I’ve been invited back to be a ZOOMA ambassador in 2017.  I had a blast running ZOOMA Annapolis this year, and cannot wait to participate in the 10th anniversary of this race.  Whether I run the 10k or half marathon will 100% depend on what my Chicago training plan looks like.

After crossing the finish line at ZOOMA Annapolis back in June

After crossing the finish line at ZOOMA Annapolis back in June

Want to join me at ZOOMA Annapolis?  Use discount code KATHRYN2017 to save 10% on any race distance.

4.  Leesburg 20k – August 20th

This is another Potomac River Running race, and I loved my race experience back in 2014.  Its an out and back course, and its so much fun to pass by runners running in either direction, especially the elite runners.  Their speed is incredibly motivating, especially since this race in the midst of the summer and is on a hilly course.

Photo Credit: Potomac River Running

Photo Credit: Potomac River Running

5.  Clarendon Day 10k or Double (5k followed by 10k) – September 24th

I’ve run the 10k twice (in both 2014 and 2015), and particularly love the enthusiasm that this race attracts.  The course is a net downhill, starting in the Clarendon neighborhood of Arlington, and then after taking runners towards the Pentagon and Crystal City finishes back in the Courthouse neighborhood.  Its a part of the larger Clarendon Day celebration, and is a fun way to partake in the neighborhood festival.

In addition to running traditional races, I also plan to participate in a handful of virtual races again.  I find virtual races to be incredibly motivational, especially when I’m in the midst of training for a goal race.  I most recently participated in the Catch Me If You Can Virtual 5k with Gone for a Run, which I ran last week while pushing little man in the stroller.

Little man and I after I completed the Catch Me If You Can Virtual 5k

Little man and I after I completed the Catch Me If You Can Virtual 5k

QOTD: Which race(s) are you considering running in 2017?

I’m linking up for the Friday Five 2.0 linkup.  Many thanks to the wonderful ladies at Fairytales and Fitness and Running on Happy for hosting!

frifive2

This entry was posted in Races and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

51 Responses to Friday Five – Five Possible Races to Run in 2017

1. My race schedule is all set for 2017, including the RnR DC Half, Cherry Blossom 10 miler, and Maine 70.3-it’s going to be a big year!

2. I hope to see you at 3, 4 and 5 on your list! The leesburg race is always on my list and then I end up being out of town that last week of summer! Thanks for sharing your list!

3. Coco says:

Loudon does look good but I just can face the drive out that way. I am eyeing one of the Denver races in June I think. There’s a half or a 10M.

4. I do love that Clarendon double it’s fun to do. I am also doing the For the love 10K in Reston in Feb are you doing that?

5. Sounds like you have a great list of races lined up! I’ve only registered for one (double) race in September but have 3-4 others I want to run.

6. My husband and I have been wanting to take a short little trip to Annapolis. We have never been there and it looks cute! Good luck training for your first marathon! That is exciting! And I have only ever heard good things about Chicago. I am not running it this year, but it is a race I would like to do eventually.

You have a great list of races for 2017! I love planning ahead and always keeping a goal in sight – it’s definitely helpful in the motivation department! Next year, I have Rock N Roll NOLA and the Glass Slipper Challenge planned. I haven’t yet decided what to do after that…we shall see! 🙂

Happy Friday! I always forget about the Loundon series as well – the 8K looks interesting. I am hoping to add the 20K as a training run next year – I should be back from vacation to run it 🙂

9. I’ve never heard of any of them, but I bet the half along the Potomac will be beautiful. I’ve only seen some parts but thats a beautiful river!
    I do plan to register for the St George Marathon and maybe one other but I’ll probably wait until last minute to decide on the other lol.

10. It’s nice to have some local races on your list each year. I have a few that I hope to repeat as well. Also, I’d like to do a race in MD!

So far I’m only doing the Bolder Boulder, then I’ll see how I feel after the training and the race. I do want to see if I can register for the Star Wars light side 10k, but I know that one is super popular. I won’t be bummed if I don’t get it, but I do want to try to do it for 2018.

12. So far for running I’m planning on Rock n Roll DC Half again (let’s say hello at the start again!) and ZOOMA 10K or half marathon. And the rest is TBD!!!

13. That is a great looking race list for 2017! Good luck training for Chicago! I got in the lottery this year but couldn’t go. I’ve run one marathon and putting off my marathon dreams for now. Sticking to half and shorter distance! Happy New Year!

14. MCM Mama says:

I ran Loudoun last year and it was a great race. It’s too far away for me to want to run it again, but I did enjoy it. I’ve also signed up for Clarendon Day as it’s one of my favorite local races. However, I just realized it’s the same weekend as Ragnar, so I’m not sure I’ll be able to do it…

15. Currently, I only have two “paid in full” events on my 2017 calendar, but (ha ha ha ha ha), it’s a given there will be several more things added 😉

16. I really want to pick a race to make a traditional annual run! I think its fun to see the change in race organization and have familiarity with a race. The only race I’ve ever done more than once is the Tofurky Trot on Thanksgiving. I think I might have missed two or one year though… I know I was on the lazy side this year but also sore because I did the Terrain Run the weekend before.

Wishing you the best in your training! I am getting excited to start running again from all the bloggers posting about their schedules and recaps!

17. Best of luck on the two races you’re signed up for! I’m thinking of doing the Scotiabank Marathon in October (currently, I’m signed up for a half in May), but I don’t have any smaller distances set up, so I’ll have to do some research!

18. krissy m. murphy says:

I love the Leesburg 20K! I did it in 2012!

19. Brandi says:

Those all look like fun races. 2017 will be the year of running for me. It’s a new thing but recommended to keep my knee from sticking after my surgery.

20. Rachel says:

I would so love to do RNRDC sometime. I wonder if I can fit it in my schedule this year… hmm… 🙂

21. I’m only registered for Grandmas Marathon in June. I’m hoping for the Door county half in May. I think I’m just going to have to play it by ear for now.

22. Great list!

I’ve got a few big ones planned for next year: I’m doing a relay team for the 26.2 with DONNA (our big breast cancer marathon), the Gate River Run, Publix Savannah Women’s Half, Space Coast Half, and then we’ll see about the rest of it.

Looking forward to see what 2017 has in store for both of us!

23. Great race choices.

I forgot to reapply for Zooma…duh! ; ( but I plan to be there.

I plan to do more low key races and more 5ks this year to work on rebuilding my run base.

Congrats on Chicago and good luck with training!

24. These all sound fun! I need to start finding some local races down here. Happy New Year!!

25. The Zooma race sounds cool – not sure if it would be potentially hot in June? But putting it on my maybe list as well!