2016 Goals Reflection

Even though I set monthly goals for myself, I was incredibly motivated this past year to get back to my pre-pregnancy shape and also set year long goals for myself.  My drive to not only bounce back after pregnancy, but also my use of fitness as a way to take a break from my responsibilities at home and to focus on self care, both greatly aided in my ability to be successful this past year.

My three goals were to:

2016 Goals

1.  Get back to my pre-pregnancy shape, including my pre-pregnancy running pace and endurance.

Grade: A

Not only did I succeed in reaching this goal, but I’ve actually become a faster and stronger runner than I was prior to becoming pregnant.  I credit my progress this past year to stroller running.  Running with the BOB stroller is a great resistance workout, and although my pace is usually slowed by running with the stroller, it has made me a stronger and faster runner overall.

Little man and I have been enjoying our time together while out for stroller runs

2.  Train for and run half marathons #7, 8, and 9.

Grade: A

Not only did I reach my goal and cross the finish line of three half marathons in 2016, but I exceeded that goal and also completed my tenth half marathon.  My first postpartum race was Rock ‘n’ Roll DC back in March, which was a training run for ZOOMA Annapolis.  I ran the first eight miles of the race as my long run for the week, and then walked the rest.  Half marathon #8 was ZOOMA Annapolis in June, which I PRed at.  I then PRed again at Rock ‘n’ Roll Philadelphia in September, and celebrated my accomplishments by running my tenth half marathon, the Wine and Dine Half Marathon, in November.

Preston and I crossing the finish line at Wine and Dine last month Photo Credit: Disney World PhotoPass

Preston and I crossing the finish line at Wine and Dine last month
Photo Credit: Disney World PhotoPass

3.  Focus on running quality races.

Grade: A

In 2014 one of my big goals was to complete 14 races.  Last year one of my big goals was to complete 15 races.  This year I didn’t go after completing 16 in 2016.  In fact, I only ran eight races.  I am so glad that I focused on running the handful of races that I did instead of registering for and running races just to meet a quota that I set for myself.  It made my 2016 race experiences that much more meaningful.

Clearly, 2016 was a great year for me, and I hope I’m able to be just as successful in 2017.  I’m excited to see what I’m able to accomplish next year.  I’m putting the final touches on my big goals for the year and plan to share them next week.

QOTD: Did you reach your 2016 goals?

This entry was posted in Motivation, Training and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

32 Responses to 2016 Goals Reflection

1. You did a fantastic job of coming back from pregnancy! I can’t wait to see what you do in 2017!

2. Congrats on reaching all your goals this year. Glad that stroller running has helped you improve your running. Perhaps I should get one for Baylee..haha

Sounds like you did a great job with your goals! Congrats 🙂

4. Olivia S says:

Great job on setting and surpassing your goals! I struggle with setting realistic goals for myself, so your reflection is a great model and motivation for me.

5. You really did an amazing job this year. In addition to the above maybe having that cute litte guy at this finish helped with a little extra motivation to pick up the pace. After all what better extra motivator is there 🙂
    I think your quality race Idea this year was a great one. Look at the amazing memories you have from the races and vacations you were able to have with many of them!
    Great job!

6. Elle says:

So happy for all your successes this year and looks like you had lots of fun along the way. Cheers to another great year coming up for you!

7. You certainly did bounce right back into pre baby shape-impressive!

8. I think you did great! No doubt the stroller (with that cute little dude) is a great resistance training tool.

9. Amazing job with postpartum running! Your little is SO adorable. Stroller running is totally a new kind of workout. I have a Thule running stroller and I love it.

10. MB Jackson says:

Congrats on meeting those goals! You look fantastic! It is amazing what our bodies can do! I think I am in better shape and 50 than I was at 30! Keep rocking it! Cheers to 2017!

I think the best for me is quality races as well. I didn’t stress about not doing so many this year, because I had fun with one I did. Congrats on a great 2016!

12. NoSanchez says:

Awesome job in completing your goals. I didn’t set a 2016 goal just a postpartum goal of being back to my prepregnancy weight. I did accomplish that!!! Its definitely not the same 125lbs as before…. but I’m still happy with it.

13. you had a fantastic running year bouncing back from pregnancy-i can’t wait to see what the next year holds!

14. You had an amazing year! You should be so incredibly proud f yourself and all the hard work you have done!

I didn’t hit all my goals – I got injured early in the year, and that changed things around. My comeback has been slow but steady, and I’ve found other means of measuring my progress.

Happy New Year!

15. Great job on reaching your goals! I was too injured to reach mine. It’s okay that I didn’t reach them but I never gave up trying to reach them either.

Very proud of you on reaching your goals 🙂 Look forward to seeing you next weekend!