Friday Five – Five Ways to Stay Motivated to Stay Active During the Holidays

Disclaimer: As a Gone for a Run Ambassador, I received a complimentary virtual race entry.  I am not being compensated financially.  As always, all opinions are my own.

December always feels like one of the busiest months of the year to me.  Every year, I look at my December calendar and wonder how it is possible that I’m able to squeeze as much into my calendar as I do, and still find time to work out.  It definitely takes some prioritizing, as well as a lot of motivation, to help me stay focused on my fitness even in the midst of lots of other activities.

What are some ways that you can stay motivated to stay active during a busy holiday season?

5-ways-to-stay-motivated

1.  Participate in a seasonal challenge.

Right now, I’m participating with some of my coworkers in our school district’s online fitness challenge.  We’re tracking our daily steps, as well as our daily exercise.  By having both in person and virtual support from others (we log into a portal in order to track what we’ve accomplished), its very easy to want to make sure that I’m staying as active as I can.

2.  Join an online support group or community.

In addition to my regular blogging connections, I’m also a member of a small, fitness and blogging Facebook group, which is led by fellow blogger Courtney from Eat Pray Run DC.  By being connected in a smaller group, its much easier for members to provide support and encouragement to one another.

3.  Look ahead to your next big goal or challenge.

Much of my 2017 will be spent on training for my first marathon.  Although I’m not currently “in training” for a race, I don’t want to stop running and working out and then have to start 100% back over when its come to officially start marathon training.  I continuously remind myself of this whenever I try to talk myself out of working out.

4.  Recognize that any working out is better than none at all.

Short on time?  You want to work out, but you don’t have enough time to knock out that 10k you were hoping to complete?  Head out for just a couple of miles instead of the original 6.2 miles that you had hoped to log.  Anything is better than nothing.

5.  Sign up for a virtual race.

Virtual races are a great source of motivation for pushing yourself out the door for some exercise.  And who doesn’t like being rewarded with a prize at the end of a run?

After completing the Sole Sister Virtual 7 Mile Race in August 2015

After completing the Gone for a Run Sole Sister Virtual 7 Mile Race in August 2015

The next virtual race that I’m participating in with Gone for a Run is the Catch Me If You Can 5k.  Although this particular race is now sold out, there are others in their virtual race series that you can register for, including the 2017 Resolution Run 5k.  All Gone for a Run virtual race entries include a race bib and a medal.  Be sure to check out all of their virtual races.

QOTD: How do you keep yourself motivated to stay active during the holidays?

I’m linking up for the Friday Five 2.0 linkup.  Many thanks to the wonderful ladies at Fairytales and Fitness and Running on Happy for hosting!

frifive2

This entry was posted in Motivation and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

35 Responses to Friday Five – Five Ways to Stay Motivated to Stay Active During the Holidays

I agree, having a goal definitely keeps me motivated during the holiday season. I’m participating in this race, too!

2. Janelle @ Run With No Regrets says:

These are all great ways to stay motivated. We had a walking challenge at work for the fall, but now that it’s over I’m realizing how much I miss it!

I also agree about the importance of having something to look forward to. I’m going to do the RNR DC half again so I’m excited!

At home work is good too. It was cold yesterday and I didn’t feel motivated to walk to the fitness room. I did an at-home Pure Barre workout to at least get something in.

4. I agree with all of these ideas! Re: #3, My husband and I joke sometimes that our family motto is “Better than nothing!”
    This year to stay motivated I signed up for a race at the end of January when I usually only race in the summer, and I’m doing a 21 Day Fix Challenge Group.

5. Awesome tips for sticking with it through the holi-daze! Planning is key (which I suck at royally).:)

6. I have done all of the ones you listed except for number 4. Strava’s RunNorthPoleClub challenge is kicking my butt right now. I have to log in 6 hours of running within 12 days and I’m a bit behind. Yikes. I love challenges though so it’s the perfect way for me to keep running.

7. Jen says:

I love all of these ideas! My oldest has a wrestling tournament tomorrow that is all day long and unless I want to get up at 3am to workout, it’s not going to happen. I was beating myself up earlier about trying to fit everything in, but I’m just going to have to let it go tomorrow and be ok with it!

8. Having good podcasts to listen to motivates me to get out on those dark bitter cold mornings and run!

9. Virtual races are always fun for extra motivation!

10. As you know, I do pretty much some sort of a monthly challenge every month. I get bored doing the same old stuff LOL I have not done a virtual event for a long time…I forget they’re out there. They are great motivators, and the bling is a great incentive 😉

11. SuzLyfe says:

I love virtual races! I always challenge myself to run them outside so that I feel super badass 😀

12. Awesome tips! I wonder if there’s a New Years Eve run in my new neck of the woods.

13. Rachel says:

Great tips! I’m not a virtual race runner. If I’m going to pay for a race I would much rather race with people! I definitely think they’re good motivators, though, especially for people who prefer NOT going to a physical race!

14. I thought about signing up for this one but this morning I woke up with an unexpected glitch…ayyyy

15. Unfortunately virtual races don’t really motivate me anymore! I think the weather has a lot to do with my motivation. When it’s nice I want to be outside running more. I don’t honestly know what my running will look like this winter but I know I’ll be doing a lot of biking (inside)!
    Thanks for linking up!

16. carmyy says:

I’m with number 4. Small wins are still wins! Even if it’s just a walk after dinner, it’s better than nothing 🙂

17. Great way to stay motivated! I love virtual races and try to do a few a year!