Wine and Dine Half Marathon Weekend – Day 3 – Wine and Dine 10k

My first race of Wine and Dine Half Marathon Weekend and Lumiere’s Two Course Challenge was the Wine and Dine 10k.  I had two goals for the race: to take it easy since I had the half marathon the next day, and to have a lot of fun.  I successfully met both goals, and think I may have even gotten a 10k PR in fun.

winedine10krecap

Race morning started bright and early with my alarm going off at 2:30 a.m.  Once up I showered, pumped, and got dressed.  For this race I decided to dress as my favorite Disney princess, Belle.  The inspiration for my costume was a Belle theme SweatyBands that my friend Kathleen bought for me during Disney World Marathon Weekend 2015.  My father-in-law, who walked the 10k, and I were out the door in time to catch the first bus from our hotel, Art of Animation, to the staging area at Epcot at 3:30 a.m.

Ready for the Wine and Dine 10k

Ready for the Wine and Dine 10k

On the bus I ate my usual pre-race breakfast – a peanut butter sandwich and a banana.  We arrived at Epcot quite early, about 30 minutes before the corrals even opened.  Our goal was for my father-in-law to get as far to the front of his corral (Corral E) as possible since he was walking the race and wanted as much headway on the Balloon Ladies as possible.  When the corrals opened, we parted ways, and I hung back a bit to take some pictures of the start line and to use the porta potties.

I’m not sure when I entered my corral (Corral B), but even though I got into my corral well after the corrals had been opened, I was only a couple of rows of people back from the front.  Since my plan was to take the 10k easy, I didn’t feel any need to fight to get to the front, although there were lots of people who pushed their way forward, especially once our corral was moved towards the start line.  I understand that people are excited about racing, and that they want to get as close to the front as they can, but there’s no need for pushing!

The wheelchair participants started just before 5:30, and corral A started at 5:30 on the dot.  I crossed the start line at 5:41 a.m.

Fireworks went off with the start of each corral

Fireworks went off with the start of each corral

With the course being the exact same as the Disney World 10k course, which I walked in 2014 during the inaugural year of the race, I knew what to expect in terms of the course itself.  I had been a bit disappointed by the lack of entertainment back in 2014, and had high hopes that the entertainment would be amped up now that runDisney is a couple of years into using this course.  My hopes were met, as there was more than enough entertainment, character stops, and other photo ops during the 6.2 mile run through the back streets of Epcot, around World Showcase, and around the Boardwalk area.  Since my finish time was nowhere near my priority, I had fun and stopped at all but one of the character stops.

The first miles of the race were along the Epcot entrance service road, Epcot Center Drive, and Overpass Road.  We entered the backstage area of Epcot and World Showcase just past the halfway point of the race.

milemarkers1-3

Mile Markers 1-3

032

Once I entered World Showcase, my pace slowed down even more, as the character stops and photo ops were even more frequent than they had been outside of Epcot.

Running through World Showcase

036

After exiting World Showcase around mile 4.5 the course took us out to the Boardwalk area.  Only second behind running through World Showcase, this was my other favorite part of the course.  There were so many spectators that lined the Boardwalk and cheered runners on.  There were also a couple of character stops along the Boardwalk.

038

Photo Credit: Disney World PhotoPass

Upon exiting the Boardwalk the course took us through part of the backstage area of Epcot, and we reentered the park in Future World West.  We passed the Fountain of Nations and Spaceship Earth, and then made our way towards the front of the park.  The finish line of the race was in the Imagine Lot.

Mile Markers 4-6

Mile Markers 4-6

My official finish time was 1:37:06 (15:38 pace), though according to my Garmin, which paused while I stood in line for photos, I ran 6.37 miles in 1:05:29 (10:17 pace).  This race was nowhere near my fastest 10k, in fact I believe that the only one that I completed slower than this was the Disney World 10k back in 2014.  But my finish time was far from my mind, as I crossed the finish line with a smile on my face because I had had so much fun.

Crossing the finish line Photo Credit: Disney World Photo Pass

Crossing the finish line
Photo Credit: Disney World Photo Pass

After the race I made my way through the finisher’s chute, collected my water, Powerade, and food box, got my medal, and then decided that I wanted to wait in line for a picture with Lumiere.  I was running his challenge after all.

With one of the stars of the weekend Photo Credit: Disney World PhotoPass

With one of the stars of the weekend
Photo Credit: Disney World PhotoPass

It had been such a fun morning at Epcot, but the fun for the day was just getting started.  My father-in-law and I needed to get back to the hotel to shower and get ready for the day since we had even more fun ahead of us – little man’s first race – the diaper dash!

QOTD: Do you race every race that you run, or do you sometimes take the time to have fun during a race?

This entry was posted in Races, Travel and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

45 Responses to Wine and Dine Half Marathon Weekend – Day 3 – Wine and Dine 10k

1. You got some really great photo pass pictures! What a fun memory for you.

Oh, you know I do take my time on some races..( usually Disney races). A few years ago I walked most of the Family 5K!

I always try to have fun, especially at Disney races. I would’ve stopped for pictures during Tink if I had seen a character I wanted to stop for.

Love this recap and your photos!! Great job…glad they improved the entrainment and that you had so much fun! Makes me even more excited for princess! Question-the photo pass pics…are they linked to your magic band and part of memory maker?

4. What awesome pics! And, who would want to “race” through a Disney race? First, it would be next to impossible (so, why all the people pushing at the start line?) and second, there would be so much to see and experience. I’d be there for the fun as well. I seldom “race” my events any more. Sure, I’d like to see how good of a finish time I could get, but I’ve learned it’s all about the experience and the magic of running (for me). I don’t need constant PR’s to validate my love for running πŸ˜‰

Great photos! I’m happy to here that there were a lot of photo ops and entertainment at this one. And that’s so cool that your father in law did the 10k as well. I hope he enjoyed it too.

6. Cute! I can see why people walk this one–with all the photo stops, who want want to run?

7. Elle says:

Your costume is so cute… and the pictures are fabulous! How fun to stop and do photo ops along the way. That is a great way to break up the disance!

8. MB Jackson says:

You got some really good pictures! and what a smile! Fabulous Disney race day I would say!

9. Looks like you had a blast! I know you love your Disney races but honestly getting up at 2:30 to do a race is what has kept me from doing one πŸ™‚

10. This has me so excited for Disney Princess weekend in February πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ Way to go! You look great in all your photos!

11. What a great finish line photo, they should use you for a marketing piece, that’s an awesome finisher photo, you look great!
    Hey when you’re in it for fun, who cares if it was not your best time. After all looks like you had a blast just running for fun and stopping to do character stops and just enjoying the atmosphere of the race, by all your smiles it’s clearly evident you had a fun time! Sometimes that’s what running a race is all about, the fun of it!

12. Coco says:

I still can’t get past the 2:30 am alarm – and that your dad got up that early with you! So great that you did it together. Love all the pics, but the one with Lumiere the best!

13. All of your photos make me want to run another Disney Race. I ran the Tinkerbell half at Disneyland a few years ago and had a blast. Even though I stopped at the character stops, I ended up PRing because of all the Disney energy. These races are definitely some of the best.

14. Who takes your photos at a race like this? I’ve never been to a run like that before, but I’m pretty sure I’d stop for photo’s too! And your race photos (action shots) are awesome!

15. tonee78 says:

Looks like an awesome race! I want to run it one day!

16. Too many fun race photos! I often do “for fun” races…just not things like color runs or zombie runs. I don’t know why…? But yeah, I like to say I’m being a “race tourist” when I go out there to just enjoy the course and the experience and don’t watch my time.

17. That looks like so much fun! Love your outfit. I don’t think I’ve ever run a fun race like that.

18. carmyy says:

Man this looks like so much fun! I miss Disney already. Wish I lived close enough for the races!

19. great recap! I need to get working on mine. I will say the running pics in world showcase turned out incredible for everyone!

Great recap! My favorite pictures from the post was the one with Lumiere and the one with the French flag and champagne bottle. So nice your father in law walked the 10K. Did he also take pictures? Or is it crowded at that point?

21. Jeph Maags says:

I love running, and I’ll even endure snow, wind and intense heat, but 2:30am? Props to you! lol. But seriously, seems like a great race! I gotta come do a Disney race sometime.

22. Pingback: Wine and Dine Half Marathon Weekend – Day 3 – Little Man’s Diaper Dash! | From Dancing to Running

23. Pingback: Wine and Dine Half Marathon Weekend – Day 4 – Wine and Dine Half Marathon | From Dancing to Running

24. Pingback: Wine and Dine Half Marathon Weekend – Day 5 – Final Thoughts and Fun at Epcot | From Dancing to Running