As I shared back in October, I will be running the Chicago Marathon next October. Not only will it be my first marathon, but it will also be the first major race that I’m running with a charity team for. When I started exploring the idea of running a marathon, I knew that I wanted to make it a meaningful experience. And after some prayer and reflection, I decided that joining Team Ronald McDonald House Charities and running the Chicago Marathon with them would be a great choice.
When I made my marathon announcement, I shared why I chose to run with Team RMHC. While I have a very personal reason to be supporting this charity, there are so many other reasons to consider donating to Ronald McDonald House Charities:
1. Because many families travel far from home in order to receive the best treatment possible for their sick children, RMHC allows for families to be kept close together when their child is sick by providing a lodging alternative that is much cheaper than a hotel room.
2. Ronald McDonald Houses are in close proximity to hospitals, which allows families to stay close by to their sick children while they’re receiving the care that they need. You can hear about Emily’s story below about the impact that RMHC had for her and her family.
3. The houses bring families of sick children together to help support one another. There is strength in numbers, and often times families will have a stronger mental state simply because of being able to feel supported by others who are going through similar experiences.
4. By staying at one of the houses, it allows parents to focus on the care of their child as opposed to grocery shopping and/or cleaning. Their time and attention can be devoted to the needs and well being of their sick child.
5. Many houses have playrooms and/or outdoor play areas for children to play in. Whether its siblings or the sick child him/herself playing in these areas, the houses are able to provide a safe space for children to play in.
This holiday season, won’t you consider making a donation to RMHC? No donation is too small. $25 helps to provide a home cooked meal to a family. $80 covers the expense of a room for a family for the night. Any donation, in any amount, will help the families of sick children. You can visit my personal fundraising page here.
QOTD: Do you know have family or friends or have benefited from the services of Ronald McDonald House Charities?