Wine and Dine Half Marathon Training Log – Week 5

Despite how motivated, and successful, I was with my training last week, this past week I had a lot of difficulty fitting my workouts in.  Between multiple doctors appointments for little man and I and a couple of late afternoons at school with students, post work workouts were difficult to fit in last week.  The weekend was also extremely busy, as my dad was in town and I tried to spend as much time with him as I could.  We also started packing for our racecation over the weekend.  Needless to say, my workouts were the first thing to get cut during this extremely busy week.

I’m bummed that I had to miss my last long run yesterday.  I had planned to do my third set of back to back runs this past weekend, to help me be as prepared as possible for the back to back races that I’ll be running next weekend, and ran four easy miles with little man on Saturday.  However, there was just too much going on yesterday (little man was also very fussy over the weekend), and I just couldn’t carve out the time to get a six mile run in.  I’m disappointed, but I also know that since I’m not running either race this coming weekend for time, that I’m still prepared to run all 19.3 miles.

Saturday's run allowed little man and I to spend some quality time together

Saturday’s run allowed little man and I to spend some quality time together

I plan to run one more time before we leave Wednesday evening, and then the rest of my workouts for the week will be walking around the parks at Disney.  While I’m disappointed that my training didn’t end the way that I had hope for it to, I’m excited that race week is finally here, and I cannot wait to head down to Florida!

Mon 10/24 – Rest day

Tues 10/25 – 4.16 mile run, 0.35 mile cool down walk

Wed 10/26 – Rest day

Thurs 10/27 – 4.00 mile run, 0.19 mile cool down walk

Fri 10/28 – Rest day

Sat 10/29 – 4.00 mile run, 0.46 mile cool down walk, 20 minutes of strength training (upper body, lower body, abs)

Sun 10/30 – Rest day

Total Weekly Mileage – 13.16 miles (3.24 miles less than week 4)

Total Wine and Dine Mileage – 89.85 miles

QOTD: How many times do you run the week of a major race?

I’m linking up with Holly from HoHo Runs and Tricia from MissSippiPiddlin for the Weekly Wrap link up.  Be sure to check out their posts as well.

WeeklyWrap

This entry was posted in Training, Wine and Dine Half Marathon Training and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

40 Responses to Wine and Dine Half Marathon Training Log – Week 5

1. You’re going to do just fine at Disney! Have fun!

2. You’re going to do great Kathryn!!!

You’re definitely ready! I can’t believe that race week is already here… have fun in Florida 🙂

4. laurenruns says:

Great job! I find I cut out one run (in favor of an extra rest day) the week leading up to a race. I usually need that time anyway to get my race gear or packing in order!

You’ll do great! I don’t normally run the week of a race, to save my legs. Travel’s tough, so I want to make sure my legs are as rested as possible. I increase my carbs the entire last week, so hopefully with carbs and rest, everything’s ready.

6. Elle says:

I hope you have a wonderful time in Florida. Pictures of your little guy always make me smile!

7. I think you are more than ready! Have a great time

8. Janelle @ Run With No Regrets says:

It’s tough sometimes to squeeze in all your runs when life gets in the way, but I think you’re very well prepared for Wine and Dine. I hope you and your family have a great time! I usually run 2 times leading up to a goal race, no more than 3!

Have so much fun! I’m so excited for you that it’s almost here! On major race weeks, I usually just run twice on either Monday, Tuesday, or Wednesday, then I chill for the rest of the week. 🙂

10. You are SO ready, no need to sweat the last-minute workouts. They are more for peace of mind since there’s nothing to gain (physically) from them this close to race time. Have fun and good luck!!

11. I think you’ll be totally fine even with the missed workouts. Better to rest the week before than stress yourself out trying to get in some last easy miles. I hope you have an incredible time in Disney!!

12. I think you are ready, you’ve had a nice set of awesome training weeks!
    Hope your little guys doing okay!
    Have a great trip, and an even better race this weekend!!!! Good luck!!!

13. MCM Mama says:

You’ll be fine! You got some great training in, so one missed back to back weekend won’t make a difference.
    I usually run most days the week before a race, but they are all easy, short runs. I only took Friday off before MCM and then ran a shake out run on Saturday to loosen everything up.

14. runswithpugs says:

You’re going to be fine! Especially since you’re just going out there to enjoy the experience.

I usually run two or three times the week of a race. My legs start to get really edgy (I have restless leg syndrome, which doesn’t help), so if I don’t keep them moving, it’s uncomfortable and leads to anxiety. Boo.

Can’t wait to hear how it goes!

15. Lacey says:

Even though you missed your last long run, you have a great base and will do just fine this weekend. This weekend will be so much fun! Hope to you see you at some point.

16. lazgirlruns says:

This week I won’t be able to run as much as I’d like either! Mine is because I will be working the expo at Wine n Dine…I leave tonight after work for orlando and am there until Saturday. Most of my time will be working though so I’m hoping to find a spot for a shakeout run Wednesday or Thursday evening. It sounds as if you have a good base of training! Hope you have a safe trip and enjoy your Disney Vacation!

17. MB Jackson says:

I run 3 times each week no matter what the race schedule has on it 🙂 Great week! Safe travels! and enjoy the Disney vacay!

18. Coco says:

You are in great shape for Wine & DIne! You had other priorities this weekend and that’s A-OK!

19. jaycer123 says:

loving your dedication! It’s so close – you’ve got this! Good luck this weekend!

20. HoHo Runs says:

Running at Disney will be a blast! You’ve had plenty of training to carry you through those back to back races! I typically cut out one of my runs during race week and make sure all the others and short and easy. Thanks for linking, Kathryn!

21. Your in Disney, where every mile is magical! I think you’ll do just fine in your race! I bet little man is having a ball!
    I do try and cut back the week of a race but sometimes I’ll throw in a shorter one at the last minute. Thanks for joining us Kathryn!