Why Now is a Better Time to Consider Running a Marathon

Back in the spring, I shared why the time wasn’t right for me to run my first marathon.  Since then, I’ve thought a lot about whether there ever will be a “right” time, as well as what my goals as a runner are.  Since crossing the finish line of Rock ‘n’ Roll Philly, my last goal race for 2016, I’ve been thinking a lot about what I want my next major running goal to be.  The more that I’ve thought about it, the more I’ve come to realize that I do in fact want to challenge myself to train for and run a marathon.

As I’ve thought about the idea of running a marathon I’ve also thought more about when will be the ideal time to do so.  Is there a “perfect” time to run a marathon?  Absolutely not.  But do I think I’m in a better place and more ready to do so now than I was earlier this year?  Absolutely.

For one, little man is getting older and enjoys going for stroller runs with me.  This certainly has made training more manageable, as I don’t have to wait for somebody to be able to watch him in order for me to be able to head out the door for my training runs.  This is a huge difference between now and when I last visited this topic back in the spring.

Little man and I have been enjoying our time together while out for stroller runs

Another reason why I’m feeling more ready to tackle this challenge is because my breast feeding journey will soon be coming to an end.  Since I became pregnant, my goal has been to breastfeed for a year.  Although I had to start exclusively pumping back in June, this weekend will not only mark 10 months since little man was born but also 10 months of him being nourished with my breast milk.  I’m cautiously optimistic that he and I will be able to continue on this journey until he’s a year old, at which time I’ll be breaking up with my breast pump.  And although my husband and I are nowhere near ready to start trying for baby #2, I know that I want to challenge myself to run a marathon before another child enters the picture.

Lastly, with me running my 10th half marathon in another two weeks, I’m realizing that I want to push myself and challenge myself to something new.  While I thoroughly enjoy the experience of training for and running half marathons, I’m ready to motivate myself with a new challenge.

I’m looking at running a marathon next fall, which will give me about a year to physically and mentally prepare for this undertaking.  I’m sure that this will be a life changing experience, but I’m also hopeful that it’ll be a very rewarding experience.  I’m looking at one fall marathon in particular, and once I’m finished making my registration for this race a reality I’ll be ready to share which race I plan on running.

Am I scared by this idea?  Absolutely.  For a long time I never imagined that I’d become a runner, and now look at me, I’m looking at running a freaking marathon.  If this isn’t going to push me far outside of my comfort zone, then I have no idea what will.

QOTD: How are you currently pushing yourself outside of your comfort zone?

This entry was posted in Motivation, Races, Why Run and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

43 Responses to Why Now is a Better Time to Consider Running a Marathon

1. Steffany R. says:

Good luck! A marathon is a huge deal. I would check out Philly for sure. Excited to follow along in your journey.

2. I’m thinking if you can pump out a kid, 26.2 would be a piece of cake! ;:)

I’m so excited for you!! You’re right, it will be an amazing and life changing experience! I’m excited to follow along on your journey!

4. For me, running a marathon was way out of my comfort zone! But I am so glad I did it–even tho the first one didn’t go the way I planned, I knew then that I could do anything I put my mind to.

Looking forward to the big reveal!

5. Love it! I always say that you will just know when you’re ready to run a marathon. I told myself I would NEVER run one because it just didn’t sound fun to me. Then one day I just couldn’t get the thought out of my head. I knew then that my time had come. I’ve now run 2 full marathons! You will do great girl!!!!

6. How exciting! Deciding to run your first marathon is so exciting and equally terrifying.

That makes sense! Like you said, there may never be a perfect time but it sounds like this is a pretty good time for you with all the factors you’ve laid out 🙂

8. I’m so excited for you. Marathon training is hard, and tiring, and at times it just plain old stinks but the ending is so worth it. It makes sense that you waited till some of the other things in your life make it a little easier for you to train!

9. Ana says:

This is so exciting!! I can’t wait to hear how your training goes and what Marathon you chose!!

10. I can’t wait to find out which race you picked! I’m so excited for you! 🙂

11. Lauren Bailey says:

The offer stands to join the BABs during our summer training cycle! I’m so excited for you!!

12. deborahbrooks14 says:

Wow that’s really exciting! Not sure if there is really ever a perfect time for anything. Look forward to following your training

13. woot woot!!!!! That’s exciting news (though I can’t say it’s too much of a surprise LOL). Comfort zone? Oh gosh yes….I’m doing the most mileage ever…and speed work… WAY out of my comfort zone…

14. laurenruns says:

That’s awesome! I’ve been in marathon training mode this summer and fall, and I’m pushing myself with a somewhat scary goal in terms of my pacing. I really want to make sure I push myself and hit a pace that (for me) seems aggressive for 26.2 miles! That said, this isn’t my first rodeo at the marathon distance, so the first time focus on training for the distance rather than a specific time.

Good luck! Do you have a race in mind for your debut marathon?

15. Good luck, I think a marathon is great! My first was NYC and it was amazing! Enjoy the journey.

How exciting that you have decided to tackle a full marathon. They are my favorite races and hopefully you will enjoy the training and more than anything an enjoyable race. I hope Marine Corps is on your radar. It is a wonderful first marathon for so many runners.

17. Good luck on your 10th Half! I enjoy running half marathons, but I’m not sure a full is on my bucket list yet. I admire people that enjoy running at that level.

18. You already know how I feel about this! I’m so excited for you and can’t wait until you announce all the awesome and super exciting details 🙂

19. Amen sista! Your last paragraph said it all, I was right there!!! I think the major thing that is stopping me from entering my 2nd marathon is the training time. But I think last year worked pretty good for me as far as time of year. My marathon was in January. My heavy training month was December. Sure I’d do things different like not start training until later. I had a very early fall half so I basically was in training mode from July – Jan. It was too much! Sounds like your figuring out what works best for you and I can’t wait to see which one you choose!

20. I have been looking at doing my first marathon as well. Training time is definitely a major road block for a lot of people- it’s daunting to think about the time it takes to train and run a marathon! But I agree with you that it will be a challenging yet rewarding experience for you! I’m shooting for a 2018 marathon, personally.

21. I am constantly pushing myself outside my comfort zones. I believe you are not growing if you are not pushing your comfort zones. A marathon is the one comfort zone I have not been able to push myself to yet. I know it will happen one day but I am just not here yet. I don’t want to commit to the training, it is like a second full time job. Yay for you for getting there! You will do wonderfully!

22. Pingback: Top 5 Posts of 2016 | From Dancing to Running