Wine and Dine Half Marathon Training Log – Week 3

This has to be my shortest training cycle ever.  Its hard to believe that tomorrow marks one month since I ran my 9th half marathon and that in just three short weeks I’ll be running my 10th half marathon.

As my long time readers know, running Wine and Dine has been a long time coming.  My husband and I originally registered to run it back in March 2015, and then deferred our 2015 registration after finding out a month later that we were expecting our first child.  This past March, it was exciting to plan this year’s racecation, especially when I went to register our son for his first race, the diaper dash.

For those readers who are stopping by here for the first time (a virtual “hi” to those who are participating in the Grow Your Blog Hop!), I should probably explain why running at Disney is important to me.  My husband ran his first marathon at Disney World back in January 2013, and it was his completion of the marathon that inspired me to start running.  A year later, we returned to Disney World, where I ran my first half marathon.  Although we’ve been back to Disney several times since then, I’m excited to return there in three weeks and run my 10th half marathon at the place where running started for me.

Crossing the finish line of my first half marathon in January 2014 at Disney World. I can't wait to run my 10th half marathon there in November. Photo Credit: MarathonFoto

Crossing the finish line of my first half marathon in January 2014 at Disney World. I can’t wait to run my 10th half marathon there in November.
Photo Credit: MarathonFoto

Even though I won’t be running this race for time, and will instead be focused on having fun, I’m still trying to push myself as much as I can with my training.  Although I got all four of my planned runs in this past week, busy work and mom schedules made it extremely difficult to get my cross and strength training in.  Little man was extra fussy most of this past week, and our suspicions as to why were confirmed on Saturday when we discovered that two of his top teeth had finally cut through.  Good thing that he’s cute and that I love him, because he definitely pushed my patience button this week.

This week three of my four runs were completed while pushing little man in the BOB stroller.  Even though I’ve had a goal for the past couple of months of getting in three strength training sessions each week, I’m realizing that the resistance training that I’m getting while running while pushing the stroller is offering me a great substitute workout.

Running with the stroller definitely slows me down, but its also nice to be able to enjoy time with my two favorite guys while out running

The stroller running is definitely paying off, as my one solo run last week resulted in both a new mile PR as well as a new 5k PR.  When I run without the stroller, I often feel like I’m flying, and I definitely felt that way during Thursday evening’s run.

I had lots to celebrate after Thursday evening's run, which was the only time that I ran last week without the stroller

I had lots to celebrate after Thursday evening’s run, which was the only time that I ran last week without the stroller

Will I feel like I’m flying again this coming week?  I certainly hope so.  But more importantly, I’d love to see my mileage total for the week mirror what I was able to accomplish this past week.

Mon 10/10 – Rest day

Tues 10/11 – 3.50 mile run, 0.31 mile cool down walk, 10 minutes of strength training (upper body, abs – session was cut short by a very fussy baby)

Wed 10/12 – Rest day

Thurs 10/13 – 4.00 mile run, 0.26 mile cool down walk

Fri 10/14 – Rest day

Sat 10/15 – 4.00 mile run, 0.51 mile cool down walk

Sun 10/16 – 10.00 mile run, 0.35 mile cool down walk

Total Weekly Mileage – 22.93 miles (4.92 miles more than week 2)

Total Wine and Dine Mileage – 60.29 miles

QOTD: What is the next race that you’ll be running?

I’m linking up with Holly from HoHo Runs and Tricia from MissSippiPiddlin for the Weekly Wrap link up.  Be sure to check out their posts as well.

WeeklyWrap

This entry was posted in Training, Wine and Dine Half Marathon Training and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

84 Responses to Wine and Dine Half Marathon Training Log – Week 3

1. triandtrue says:

So exciting. Disney was my first half marathon also! My husband and I did Wine and Dine back when it had a relay, oh and was at night, lol. Good luck with your training and your race in 2(ish) weeks!

2. I can’t imagine running with a stroller like that! My kids all were in school when I got serious with my running. It has to be awesome resistance training indeed! I had a couple of races this weekend…now I’m in a holding pattern…awaiting my taper to start (in a couple weeks) and then the Route 66 marathon (Nov. 20). Happy to be “hopping” again with you 😉

3. lazgirlruns says:

That’s a good week in training! This weekend is my last non race weekend and then I head to South Carolina for Spartan Race, Disney Wine n Dine 10k, and the Myakka 1/2 marathon the week after that.

I understand why Disney is so important to you because I feel the same…the Tower of Terror 10 miler in October 2014 was what first started me on long distance running. Disney is just so much fun!

4. That’s great that you are becoming stronger since pushing the stroller!

I obviously am not running wine n dine for time either so maybe I’ll see you on the course!

5. Running with a stroller is definitely extra work. Good job! I love the story about why the Disney races are so special to you. I also ran the Disney Marathon as my first. However, for me that was also my last Disney race. Ha! It sounds like you have put in a good amount of training for the Wine and Dine Half and I hope that you have a great race!

6. I’m glad you had such a great week of training! I predict a PR!

7. Great training Kathryn! I can imagine that running without the stroller is faster! But stroller running has to be a great workout too! I’m always in awe of those moms running with strollers! So exciting about Wine and Dine! Can’t wait to follow your fun that weekend!

8. I’ve never done a Disney race, but I’m only a couple hours from Disneyland, so I imagine I will someday. I love that you make running a family affair.

It definitely sounds like running with the stroller is paying off, both in time with your son and faster runs without the stroller!

10. marissavicario says:

Congratulations on your 10th Half! No races for me for awhile if ever. I’ve decided to take a break from long-distance racing and just enjoy running and other lower-intensity exercise like barre, yoga and strength training.

Poor kid with the teething. I remember when my cousins niece was teething and she got 3 teeth in 2 days. Ouch!

I don’t have anything definite on the schedule until the Boulder Bolder in May. I signed up for a virtual run, but don’t know if I’m going to get that mileage by the last day. I’m having fun just slowly building mileage, and I’m holding around a 5k right now.

12. I can’t believe it’s coming up so quickly! I need more training time!!!!!!

13. You have some solid training under your belt! I’m sure Wine & Dine will be a blast. It’s still on my bucket list. One of these years I will get there!

14. Hi from the blog hop!!

How awesome your are heading back to Disney…what a great anniversary run!! 10 yrs.so cool!!!

I am always so impressed by moms who can push a stroller and run! That is so incredible!!

Have a wonderful time in Disney!

I am running the MCM 10k in 2 weeks. I am hoping it wont be too cold!

15. Janelle @ Run With No Regrets says:

You really were flying sans-stroller! Awesome job! I hope you have a great time in Disney with the family. Looks like training is going great!

16. You are my inspiration right now! My little girl is 7 weeks old today and I just got a jogging stroller. I’m ready (but a little scared) to start taking her out for some short runs. I hope jogging with a stroller helps to improve my strength as well!

I’d love to run a Disney race, but I don’t even know where to start. My next race is the Colfax Half Marathon in Denver, May 2017. I need to sign up for a few before then. 😉

17. Does anyone really run Disney for time? How could you? I’m only run one but what an experience it was. You have a great solid training cycle under you, I think you will do fine and have a ball! I’m just a tad bit jealous, but I’ll be in Disney the end of November! 🙂
    Thanks Kathryn for linking up with us.

18. Coco says:

Great training! I do believe running with the stroller makes you so much stronger. No races left on my 2016 calendar but that could change.

19. Angela Rae says:

I’m so impressed by people who are able to run with a stroller regularly!
    I’m excited to go to DL to run Avengers in November.

20. I think it is awesome you are having so much fun running right now!
    Taking the cute lil guy out on the stroller with you, I bet makes it even better. I know I love taking my nieces and nephews out on occasion, just makes things more fun at times, kids are fun!
    Great training week!
    I am not sure about my race calendar, the company that sponsors me has 2 races left this year, if I am ready I might let them know I can run for them in November, but we will see:)
    Thanks for joining up in the hop my friend!!

21. Those stroller runs are definitely strength training! The diaper dash how cute will that be? Can’t wait to see the pics

22. Strollers definitely make you stronger! Love all of your pics!

23. Excited for Grow Your Blog! Woot, Woot!!!

Disney was my first half marathon too. My husband, daughter and I just went to the Inaugural Disneyland Paris race weekend. Since she was with us, the hubby did the half and we did the 5K. He and I are planning to go back next year so I can do the half.

Good luck at Wine & Dine! The hubby is running that, but I already had another race here in Maryland scheduled for that day. I’m doing Star Wars Half in April instead.

24. Sarah says:

Stopping by from the Blog Hop! I love that you are running for fun and not time – I think that’s the best way to run (much of the time). I also appreciate that you’re returning for a race that matters to you, personally :).

25. jaycer123 says:

Great job this week!

26. How wonderful that you and your husband run together!!!

27. Woohoo!! I’m so excited for you to do this race. I’ll be living vicariously through you for sure 🙂

28. Juggling kids, work, training, life is so hard! But it’s so great that you’re still able to fit stuff in when you can. And awesome job with those quick runs!!

29. Trying to juggle everything is so hard! Good for you for getting as much as you can done with your babe in the stroller! I remember those days well and it’s not easy. And awesome job on your solo run!

30. Lacey says:

Love the pic of your family! Your little guy is so adorable! He looks like he is having a blast. Like you said running w a stroller may slow you down a bit, but it is worth company:)

31. MB Jackson says:

Your 10th half- that is amazing, congrats! Disney is a magical place, it will be a running homecoming of sorts, I hope you enjoy it! Teething will work on your patience- but no worries they only get 20 plus teeth 🙂 HA! Have a great week!

32. Awesome work! I’m interested to see how the new morning Wine & Dine is. I have yet to do this race – I’m a little disappointed they changed the format, but I dig the new challenge attached, so maybe one day.

My next race is the Evergreen Pumpkin Run. It’s a 10 mile/5K race in a gorgeous, historic cemetery. It’s one of my favorites.

33. I love runDisney! I did the Glass Slipper Challenge at the Princess Half Marathon weekend last year. I was hoping to run Wine and Dine this year but due to injury I choose to wait to register until next year.

Look like you have a great training plan in place! It is amazing how a good plan can make all the difference. And good for you for focusing on having fun and not time! I can do that with Disney races but not others, I need to learn how to do that for all other races! Have fun!

34. Way to go on your training! Running the race for fun is the best, especially at runDisney races.
    I’m not running W&D (it’s one I do want to run though one year!), but I’m local, maybe we can meet up for coffee or something while you’re here.

35. laurenruns says:

I did the Disney Princess Half Marathon several years ago and really enjoyed the experience! I look forward to hearing how you enjoy the Wine & Dine Half. It’s in the morning now, isn’t it? Either way, a great experience race and opportunity to test out your fitness built from the last training cycle!

36. I am so excited you are in the blog hop!
    Yay for your 10th half race being in such a special place for you and your family!
    Stroller running is no joke! I did a lot of stroller training when the twins I nanny were smaller! It is a great workout!
    Can’t wait to hear how your race goes 🙂

37. Farrah says:

Whew–you’re on your 10th half?! That’s awesome! I hope you have a lot of fun with this one and I’m glad you had such a great training week! Disney races have always looked like so much fun–if I ever pick up running again, I’d like to do one someday!

38. Kerry says:

Good luck with your half!

I have dreaded the idea of stroller running because I am so much slower but you have me rethinking that!

39. HoHo Runs says:

My first half marathon was also at Disney in 2011. And, due to my injury fiasco last year, I also ended up running my first full marathon there this year. So, Disney definitely holds a special place in my running heart. Look at your times! You are on to something with those BOB training runs! Thanks for linking, Kathryn!

40. I’ve heard great things about wine and dine – a disney race is on my bucket list! and wow you’ve ran that many halfs? that’s awesome!!

41. You go girl! I have always wanted to do the win and dine half marathon. I’ve done the full disney marathon, but now I want to do this wine and dine one!! Congrats on finishing! Check out my latest half marathon recap at https://courtneylivin.wordpress.com/2016/11/13/richmond-half-marathon/