Pushing Myself Outside of My Comfort Zone

Its very easy to get into a routine in many aspects of life, including running.  Its very easy to continually run on the same routes, because no matter how boring it might be, the terrain is predictable and your body knows how to handle it.  Its very easy to opt for the treadmill when the weather is unfavorable, because again, no matter how boring it might be, you don’t have to deal with the elements.  In both of these regards, I used to be “that” runner.

Lately, I’ve been trying to push myself outside of my comfort zone.  I won’t make progress as a runner unless I continually challenge myself.  One of the big ways that I’ve been pushing myself has been taking little man for a run with me in the BOB stroller.  Pushing the stroller while running is far from easy, and while my overall pace is slower when I run with the stroller versus when I run by myself, I’ve noticed that the endurance training that the stroller provides is helping make me a stronger and faster runner.

Stroller running is anything by easy

Stroller running is anything but easy

Another way that I’ve been pushing myself is to not head straight to the gym to run on the treadmill when the weather is unfavorable.  I used to complete almost all of my runs on the treadmill, and now I’m trying to do everything I can to avoid running on the treadmill.  While I’m certain that there will be times this coming winter that it’ll be safer, and smarter, to complete some of my runs on the treadmill, I’m trying to not let any cold temperatures or rain steer me away right now.

On Saturday I completed my long run in the rain

On Saturday I completed my long run in the rain

The last way that I’m pushing myself, and this is way outside of my comfort zone, is considering signing up for and training for my first marathon.  Now that I’ve run my goal fall race, I’m starting to consider my goal race(s) for 2017.  As part of my exploration, I’m contemplating a handful of possible fall marathons.  While I knew back in the Spring that the time wasn’t right to train for my first marathon, I’m starting to think that the time might be right now.

I used to always say that I couldn’t run.  And then after being inspired to start running, I said that I’d just stick to half marathons.  Never in my wildest dreams did I ever think that I’d even consider running a marathon.  Its funny where life takes us sometimes, and the path we wind up walking down.  One thing is for certain though, training for and running my first marathon would push me very far outside of my comfort zone.

QOTD: How do you push yourself outside of your comfort zone?

This entry was posted in Motivation, Races and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

38 Responses to Pushing Myself Outside of My Comfort Zone

I was so excited to read this post. I remember our conversation about marathons when we ran the St Pats Day 5K together 🙂 It has been so fun watching your progress and I look forward to following along your marathon decision making process/ training (of course). PS… you may have seen on social media….if Chicago is on your list they moved up the lottery to November. Ahh so excitingggg 🙂

I am glad you are branching out and doing things outside your comfort zone. Running in different weather conditions is really important since race day can bring anything. Training in adverse conditions will certainly make a runner stronger mentally as well. Using your Bob should definitely give you a faster pace when you are not pushing the extra weight. As for running a marathon, I love them and highly encourage you to sign up. You could choose the 25th anniversary of the Mickey Marathon in January 2018. I am sure runDisney will have a superb medal for that one.

3. Ha! I used to say that I’d never run a marathon. Now I’ve done 4 and am looking at #5. Talk about pushing out of my comfort zone. But I’m so glad I’ve done them. My life has changed dramatically since then. I’m so much more confident! It’s pretty sweet to have my boys be so proud of me too.

4. I have to laugh as I seem to remember you saying you have no desire to EVER run a full marathon. Finishing one has always been on my bucket list, but my broken knees may never be able to handle the training needed. So if you do go that route, please do it for us both!

5. I’m sure running w a stroller is challenging! Back in high school I was sprinter and I thought a 5k was far. Never would I have thought I’d run a marathon if I was asked back then. Now 11 complete and still going strong. It does become mental. You have the strength and determination to do it. Finding which one you want to do is the hard decision. Best of luck!

6. I am terrified of stroller running. Already. It is long in my future, but I’ve been scared of it for a while. But it will make you STRONG. Way to push it! I’m trying to get back out of my comfort zone with strength training and just not doing the same old same old each time!

7. Laura @ Mommy Run Fast says:

How exciting! I swore for years that I would never do a full… and I just finished #4 and am enjoying them more than I thought I would! But they are definitely very hard on your body and not for everyone. I love the ways you are pushing yourself- it will definitely pay off!

8. Oh wow Kathryn how exciting to think about doing your first marathon!
    I’m laughing because I was exactly like you! All I wanted to do was be able to run a mile without stopping, one mile that’s it!

9. Good for you! I need to think of some things to get me out of my comfort zone soon, once I’m a little more serious about running. I want to add runches my weekly workouts.

10. This sounds SO much like me a few years ago 😉 That comfort zone does us no good, we only learn by stepping away from those barriers. I can’t wait to see what 2017 has in store for YOU!!!

11. First marathon?!?! YEY!!! I know you can do it if you decide to :). I’m also always impressed by all the parents I see running with strollers, especially up the big hill in my local park.

12. That’s awesome! It’s great that you can recognize the things that will make you stronger and better and take the steps to make them happen.

I am trying to be more adventurous with and committed to my cross training to improve my overall fitness. It’s hard to put myself out there but I know it will make me better.

13. Great post! I am just getting ready to start running again, and I want to make sure I keep myself challenged. I ordered a jogging stroller, so that will be a new one for me! I’m looking forward to becoming a better runner while giving my baby a little fresh air and a nice view. 😉

14. Carmy says:

Whenever I see a runner pushing a BOB I’m always like YOU GO GLEN COCO because I can barely get myself out there let alone PUSH A STROLLER while doing it!

15. Pushing outside my comfort zone by finishing up my 2nd personal training certification and taking the next step towards starting to do in person bootcamps on site…this is a huge jump for me in believing in my dreams!

I am guilty of waiting for ideal conditions to run outside, and in Texas, that means I’m inside a lot. I know it’s not a good habit to have, because who knows what race day will be like. I don’t mind needing to layer up, but I don’t do well if it’s raining.

17. Oh how I miss stroller running days! And wow! does it make you stronger! Good for you for getting out on bad weather days. I try to do that too! No such thing as bad weather only poor clothing choices 🙂

18. MB Jackson says:

All the progress is awesome! I know it is hard to get out of our routines where it is safe but greatness does not happen there! Keep challenging yourself!

19. I always knew I would run one marathon, only way and now I am training for my second…way outside my comfort zone.