Wine and Dine Half Marathon Training Log – Week 2

Since my training cycles are never only six weeks long, its a bit odd to know that my preparation for Wine and Dine is already a third over.  I know that I shouldn’t be thinking of it that way, since by no means am I “starting over” with my training since I ran Rock ‘n’ Roll Philly three weeks ago.  Still, it feels odd to know that I just started my training, yet am so close to race day.

This past week was exciting as I got the chance to start breaking in new shoes – yay!  I also did a test run in the tank that I plan to wear for the half marathon, and ordered a couple of pieces of my costumes for both races.  I can’t wait to assemble the final products and do a costume reveal closer to race weekend.

My pretty new Mizuno Wave Inspire 12s

My pretty new Mizuno Wave Inspire 12s

My running highlight for the week was pushing myself outside of my comfort zone.  One of my October goals is to complete all of my planned runs outside.  However, this past weekend was quite rainy, as we felt the effects of Hurricane Matthew as the storm made its way up the East Coast.  The old me would have retreated to the treadmill, but I’m proud to report that despite the rain, and with the assistance of the rain jacket that I found on clearance at the Under Armor outlet a couple of weeks ago, that I completed my long run outside on Saturday.

Drenched from head to toe after running 7.51 miles in the rain

Drenched from head to toe after running 7.51 miles in the rain

I’m looking forward to continuing to ramp my mileage back up and to continue to focus on getting stronger as I get closer to race weekend.

Mon 10/3 – 1.29 mile walk

Tues 10/4 – 3.75 mile run, 0.24 mile cool down walk

Wed 10/5 – 20 minutes on the elliptical, 30 minutes of weight training (upper body, lower body, abs)

Thurs 10/6 – 3.10 mile run, 0.28 mile cool down walk

Fri 10/7 – Rest day

Sat 10/8 – 7.51 mile run, 0.21 mile cool down walk

Sun 10/9 – Rest day

Total Weekly Mileage – 18.01 miles (1.34 miles less than week 1)

Total Wine and Dine Mileage – 37.36 miles

QOTD: How do you motivate yourself to run outside when its raining?

I’m linking up with Holly from HoHo Runs and Tricia from MissSippiPiddlin for the Weekly Wrap link up.  Be sure to check out their posts as well.

WeeklyWrap

This entry was posted in Training, Wine and Dine Half Marathon Training and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

37 Responses to Wine and Dine Half Marathon Training Log – Week 2

1. Great work! I rarely run on the treadmill….I despise it! I actually don’t mind the rain as long as it’s not a downpour. I find it relaxing. But race day, I definitely prefer dry!

2. Super cute jacket! We had a lot of rain this week, and on Thursday it was pouring. I just couldn’t bring myself to run on the treadmill, so I stalked the weather radar. When it looked like a tiny break in the rain, I headed out. It was lightly raining and so it wasn’t bad. I got lucky, I think!

3. Janelle @ Run With No Regrets says:

Great job on your runs! I have had that “6 weeks of training” situation as well…you’ve been building all along for Wine ‘n Dine so I’m sure you’re in a great place! I do usually move my runs around when I can if it’s raining, but if I can’t, I just try to get it over with!

You’re better than me! If it’s raining, I don’t even want to walk to the fitness room :-p Rain makes me lazy and I would’ve chosen strength training at home instead.

5. I love your running jacket!!! I always find it hard to know how to train for two races (half marathons) that are a few weeks apart. You can’t start from scratch but what distance long running do you do, more or less? Great job with your runs!

6. Since I had my ultra in mid-July, the training for that kind of counted as the “early”part of my marathon training….so I’m in a similar situation. It seems strange to think I only have about 6 weeks to race day (eek!). How do you like the Mizunos? I had two pairs of the WI 11’s…I liked them, but they were definitely not the same as the WI’ 9’s I’d had previously. I wish the manufacturer’s wouldn’t try to “improve” an already great shoe

That’s a great jacket! I’m bad about retreating indoors when the weather is rainy too. I have been trying to be better about getting out there because you never know when race weekend is going to end up rainy.

8. jaycer123 says:

Looks like it was a great training week!

9. Way to go! Running outside in the rain is tough. What helps me is knowing how long it will take me to get to the gym where the treadmill is haha

10. This is my favorite time of the year to run around here. I avoid the mill whenever possible.

11. MB Jackson says:

I think I get lucky with the weather here- we get more rain in the afternoon. It is hard to get out in the rain, i always think tomorrow is another day! Nice week!

12. oh running in the rain is my favorite! it makes me feel more badass and if I need motivation I imagine myself in some Rocky-esque sequence, putting in the work to be great, lol

13. As long as it’s not completely pouring I don’t mind running outside. I fully expected to get rained on during a few of my training runs lately but fortunately that didn’t happen.
    I’m glad your training is going well Kathryn! I’m about ready to just throw in the towel and say it is what it is. My calf is still bruised and giving me trouble. I’m so glad this is a Disney race where it’s more about having fun!

14. You have really cool shoes! Way to keep at it!

15. Coco says:

Great jacket! I need to get over to the UA outlet. I’ll run in the drain if it’s drizzly but not if it’s pouring.

16. Great job! I haven’t done a long run in a month. oops! I hope you have a blast at wine and dine!

17. Great job!! I am excited to see your costumes for the race!

18. Ha you sound like me, this Spring on any given week I did not know if I was in Training, Taper or Recovery!
    See the question I would have to ask is how do you motivate yourself TO run on the treadmill period. 99% of my runs are done outside in whatever Mother N throws out that day. It’s good to do this because come race day you have be prepared for anything. Now with that being said, I have be really good at dodging downpours. The majority of the rain we get is usually in the afternoons and by me being a morning runner I’ve been lucky.

19. HoHo Runs says:

I’m a Wave Inspire gal too. Funny, I bought a UA rain popover just before a rainy half marathon last year. I was soaked to the bone and returned it! I’m glad yours worked. In 6 weeks, I need to be ready to run a half marathon. I’m not sure how I’ll approach my training when I should be in marathon recovery mode. I find it’s easier to run in the rain if it starts after I’m already running. 😉 Thanks for linking, Kathryn.