October 2016 Monthly Goals

I feel like I keep saying this every month, but this year is just flying by.  Its hard to believe that we’re already three quarters of the way through 2016 and that fall is in full swing now.

There were so many highlights this past month, one of which was PRing two weeks ago at Rock ‘n’ Roll Philly.  Even though I didn’t meet most of my September goals, I’m still holding my head high and proudly because of what I accomplished during my 9th half marathon.  Even though I’ll be running my 10th half marathon for fun and won’t be focused on a time goal, the high that I’ve been riding from Philly will still carry me forward in the coming weeks and months.

All smiles because of my PR!

All smiles because of my PR!

Okay, so now that I’ve already shared that I didn’t meet most of my goals, let’s look at the progress I did make towards working towards meeting them.

sept 2016 goals

1.  Run, walk, and elliptical at least 85 miles.

Grade: B

Although I only logged 71.7 of the 85 miles that I had hoped to, my total mileage for September was more than my August total, which was 65.9 miles.  I made progress, and I’m happy with that.  Maybe October will finally be my month to reach this mileage goal that I’ve set for myself for the past two months.

2.  Strength train at least three times per week.

Grade: B

I’m still not doing great at meeting this goal.  I’ve tried to be better about finding 15 minutes here and there to work on strength training at home, but some days after work and after getting little man into bed I’m just far too tired to do much more than collapse on the couch in front of the TV.

3.  Find balance in my life.

Grade: A

This is the one goal that I feel like I really accomplished last month.  Even though September was an extremely busy month, I feel as though I successfully managed to balance everything.  Part of what helped me to do that was to recognize and acknowledge what my limits were, and for the second time ever we brought in a cleaning service to help clean our house.  This lifted a huge weight off of my shoulders, as I was able to dedicate my time and energy to things other than cleaning the house.

I’m hopeful that with a couple of school holidays in October that I’ll have additional time to work towards better meeting my goals this coming month.

oct-2016-goals

1.  Run, walk, and elliptical at least 85 miles.

The third attempt at a goal is the charm, right?  I certainly hope so!

2.  Strength train at least three times per week.

I’m not ready to give up on or modify this goal yet.  I want to keep trying to strength train three times per week.

3.  Complete all planned runs outside.

I’m a pretty big wimp when it comes to braving cooler temps and unfavorable weather (ie: rain).  On Wednesday, I pushed myself outside of my comfort zone and ran outside while it was raining.  I want to continue to push myself, even as the temperature drops, to complete all of my planned runs outside and to avoid the treadmill.

I definitely pushed myself on Wednesday by running in the rain

I definitely pushed myself on Wednesday by running in the rain

4.  Finish planning my Wine and Dine Half Marathon Weekend costumes.

In just five weeks we’ll be back at Disney World for Wine and Dine Half Marathon weekend.  I plan to dress up for both the 10k and the half marathon, and am in the process of piecing together my costumes.  I’d like to finish them before the end of the month so that I’m not rushing to finish them while I’m also packing for our trip.

5.  Enjoy the month’s social activities.

In many ways, this goal is a continuation of my September goal to find balance in my life.  I have quite a busy social calendar for the month of October, including an engagement party, a baby shower, our nephew’s first birthday party, and my father-in-law will be spending Columbus Day weekend here with us.  I want to do all that I can to be fully present at each event.

QOTD: What are your goals for October?

I’m linking up with Ange and Carmyy for the Monthly Goals linkup.  Be sure to check out their posts as well.

monthly goals linkup

I’m also linking up with the DC Trifecta Bloggers (Courtney from Eat Pray Run DC, Mar from Mar on the Run, and Cynthia from You Signed Up For What?!) for hosting the weekly Friday Five Link Up.  Be sure to check out their posts as well!

DC-Trifecta-Friday-Five-linkup

This entry was posted in Motivation, Training and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

51 Responses to October 2016 Monthly Goals

I think finding life balance is probably more important than the other goals. You may not be hitting all those strength training workouts, but certainly your role as a mother with a young child is giving you plenty of opportunity to use your arms and legs while lifting and toting your little boy around. That counts for something 🙂

2. laurenweiner says:

I love your goals regarding balance and enjoying life!

3. I love running in the rain! Of course, maybe I say that because it basically never rains here. 😀 Nice job on your goals. The balance is the most important part and you aced it!

I used to be one those who wanted to run all the races, but I realized I can’t do that and have balance in other areas. I’m stressing less if I don’t get a run done, and it allows me to have spontaneous get-togethers with friends. It’s nice to be able to enjoy more.

5. I saw the title of this post and thought and still can’t believe tomorrow is October. September is the busiest month for work, kids back to school, running stuff, kids sports starting…blah! I haven’t set any goals for October but feel like I might need to, to help get refocused and back to good running/workouts.

6. I am looking forward to wine and dine even though it is over a mth away. We have just started working on our costumes. October will bring cool temps so hopefully all your runs outside will be able to take place. I can’t believe either 2016 is almost over.

7. Sounds like great goals! I am counting down the months for 2016 to be over with, but for obvious reasons of course! 🙂

8. I can’t wait to see your Wine & Dine costumes!

9. Congrats on your PR! And good luck with your goals next month. I can’t wait to see your finished costumes!

10. Janelle @ Run With No Regrets says:

Great job on your goals this past month, especially on the balance since that is always tough! I hope you have a great October…looking forward to seeing the costumes for Wine and Dine! I may need to ask you for tips since my sister and I are doing Disney Princess Weekend next year!

11. Mandie says:

I really need to do something like this for my blog! Thank you for the idea! Good job with A or B status on all of last month’s goals… You’ve made the honor roll!

12. You’re doing Wine n Dine? We will have to try to meet up! I love meeting fellow bloggers 🙂 I’m running the 10k and working the expo for Fit2Run so I will be there all week. I totally understand not having time to strength train (or feeling exhausted). I work two jobs so sometimes all I do is crash on the couch too. It can really be hard to motivate yourself to get up and get out for training!

13. I think you did great! Finding Balance is kind of an on-going life goal of mine…it’s always a challenge to be doing the smart things that need to get done, but not OCD’ing on all the microscopic details that are (sometimes) unnecessary. Can’t wait to see the costumes!!

14. mommyrunfaster says:

Great goals! Every fall I freak out about the cold and then my body adjusts and somehow I’m able to run mostly outdoors all winter. It’s all about layering! Many times I overdress and am actually too warm by the end but I’d take that over freezing any day. 🙂

15. Finding balance when you have little kids is always challenging. Keep doing what ever you are doing with running bc it seems to be working very well for you

16. Carmy says:

I feel pretty bad about not doing a goal post yet BUT I am loving your goals. I need to do my strengthening!

17. I’m with you, time is literally flying. I feel that way every week. The end of the year will be here before we know it. I think you’re doing great balancing it all. Enjoying family is probably the most important!

18. Yay to the cleaning service! I think the hardest part of motherhood is finding balance and letting go of guilt. You are accomplishing both so well!

19. Angela @marathonsandmotivation.com says:

The balance is always a struggle, but it sounds like you are doing great! Can’t wait to see what costumes you go with for the Wine & Dine…Fun, fun, fun, I just love Disney!!! 🙂

20. Great job on all your goals, you didn’t meet them al, but you strived to and that’s what counts. I think balance is the hardest to achieve and you did that!

21. I’m so happy you found more balance last month. That’s the most important thing. I fell short on a lot of my goals too, but I actually don’t feel that bad about it. I’ll be posting my goals on Wednesday 🙂

22. You have been doing such a great job and keeping everything on track and together. You’ve had some huge changes this year and even if you haven’t technically met your goals, you are working hard and making awesome progress. You are going to have a great rest of year!

23. pondernwonder says:

You nailed the dart on the most important goal – “Finding balance in life”. It’s something I always struggled with in the past. But, with time, I have realized that taking in more than my limits was always the cause. Saying no to things that don’t matter on my list of priorities has definitely helped find a better balance and make time for me to do stuff that make my soul happy 🙂 Good luck with all your Oct goals! Goals keep us all motivated.

24. Ange says:

I agree, this year is going by so quickly!
    Balance can be so fleeting, by resting sometimes you need to forego a run or strength training, and I do think that’s okay.

Thanks for linking up!

25. Pingback: Wine and Dine Half Marathon Training Log – Week 2 | From Dancing to Running

26. Pingback: Wine and Dine Half Marathon Training Log – Week 3 | From Dancing to Running