Rock ‘n’ Roll Philadelphia Half Marathon Training Log – Week 12

The big day of my 9th half marathon has come and gone, and I’m happy to report that despite the crazy humidity Sunday morning that I still managed to PR!  I didn’t meet any of my race goals, and missed my C goal by a mere 14 seconds, so I’ve of course been thinking about what I could have done differently to have run the race just a tad faster.  I can’t wait to have time to sit down and write my recap of the race!

Celebrating my PR on Sunday!

Celebrating my PR on Sunday!

The week leading up to race day was quite busy, which seems to be my theme of the month.  Now that we’re more than two weeks into the school year, I’m starting to find my rhythm, both at school and at home.  We’re also trying to soak up as much time outside as possible before the weather turns cold.

Not only did I complete my last two planned training runs last week, but I also managed to get to the gym for some cross and weight training.

Mon 9/12 – 3.55 mile run, 0.21 mile cool down walk

Tues 9/13 – 1.96 mile walk

Wed 9/14 – 30 minutes on the elliptical, 25 minutes of weight training (upper body, lower body, abs)

Thurs 9/15 – Rest day

Fri 9/16 – 3.10 mile run, 0.38 mile cool down walk

Sat 9/17 – Rest day

Sun 9/18 – Rock ‘n’ Roll Philly Half Marathon (ran 13.24 miles according to my Garmin)

Total Weekly Mileage – 25.02 miles (13.44 miles more than week 11)

Total RnRPhilly Mileage – 196.81 miles, plus the race

So what’s next?  I’m taking this week off from training in order to recover from Sunday’s race, and then I’ll be spending six weeks preparing for the inaugural Lumiere’s Two Course Challenge during Wine and Dine Half Marathon weekend at Disney World.  I haven’t completed a race challenge since the Dolphin Challenge in March 2014, so my training focus will be on preparing to run races on back to back days.  Although I’ll be running both of these races for fun, with no time goals in mind, I still want to make sure that I’ve adequately prepared my body for running 19.3 miles over the course of two days.

QOTD: Do you run race challenges/races on back to back days?

I’m linking up with Holly from HoHo Runs and Tricia from MissSippiPiddlin for the Weekly Wrap link up.  Be sure to check out their posts as well.

WeeklyWrap

This entry was posted in RnR Philly Half Marathon Training, Training and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

35 Responses to Rock ‘n’ Roll Philadelphia Half Marathon Training Log – Week 12

1. Coco says:

The only back to back running I’ve done is Ragnar, and it’s different. How could you PR and not meet your goals – you did great!

2. I’m agreeing with Coco! How could a PR not meet your goal? Looking forward to what you say on the recap!

3. I can’t believe wine n dine is only 6 weeks way..eek!!! For me, Disney races are always run for fun and not time. Since this is my first wine n dine race I definitely want to just take it all in and not be weighed down by time goals!

4. Why does it always seem the closer you get to race day, the faster time seems to speed up? Ii just wish my training went as quickly!

Great job on the PR! I heard the humidity was awful, and that always knocks me down. Good luck training for Wine and Dine, I’m very jealous you get that Remy medal.

6. So excited for your PR!!!! Congrats!!!! You are going to have so much fun at Wine and Dine! I LOVE back to back challenges!! I’ve done the Glass Slipper Challenge several times and this past time I added the 5K too! So fun!

7. Back to back races are tough I don’t know if I could do that or not. Although I have done a few Ragnars so maybe. I think you should be very proud of your RnR race!

8. Hey, a PR is a PR, so congratulations on achieving it in spite of tough weather conditions.

Congrats on that PR! I look forward to reading about the race. I did the Wine adn Dine 5k and half last year but the half ended up getting shortened anyway. This year, I’m doing the 5k and the half at RnR Vegas so I think that will could as my first double race weekend.

10. Congratulations!!! You’ve come back so strong post baby. You deserved that PR.

11. Even if you didn’t hit the goals you wanted. You still PR’D and thats got to be a great feeling. Congratulations on your awesome finish PR!!
    That medal is a nice looking one, they did a grear job designing it!
    Enjoy your week of recovery. Hope you have a great school work week as well.

12. Ana says:

Congratulations on the PR! I also ran Philly RnR and I’m pretty sure I saw you around mile 11 and if that was you, you were running very strong! good job! I didn’t say hi, because I didn’t want to come off as a stalker. if it wasn’t you, you still ran an amazing race! Good job!

13. Congrats! This is awesome and you are doing a great job. Keep it up!

14. During October I’m going to try to walk daily for the If Girls Ran the World campaign.

15. Hollie says:

The weather at RnR was so brutal, I would take it with a grain of salt. You finished and I wouldn’t make any judgement based on that race.

I’ve done back to back 5ks as well as a 5k and a half and they went okay. I don’t know if (because I’m so injury prone) if I could do anything more.

16. First! I’m so glad we got to meet! YAY!

Congratulations on your PR! I hit that first incline and said some not so ladylike things, and then we settled right back into enjoying everything around us. It was so fun, but that humidity and the elevation were treacherous for me!

Can’t wait to read your recap!

17. MB Jackson says:

I am going to do a challenge like that next year at Gasparilla- 15K on a Saturday then 8K on Sunday- I am looking forward to the challenge- keep up with all your great training!

18. Congrats on the race! I totally get setting goals, and perhaps Pring, but not feeling 100% happy. My mom and I want to do a disney race eventually too!