My Goals for Sunday’s Rock ‘n’ Roll Philadelphia Half Marathon

After a summer filled with lots of sweat, hills, and hard work, I’m ready to take on my ninth half marathon this weekend.  I’m excited to head north and run the streets of Philly for the second time.

After completing Rock 'n' Roll Philly last year at 32 weeks pregnant

After completing Rock ‘n’ Roll Philly last year at 32 weeks pregnant

Last year when I ran/walked this race I was 32 weeks pregnant, and my one and only goal was to cross the finish line.  This year, now that I’m not pregnant and have had a summer filled with lots of training, my mindset and focus going into race day are quite different.  Although my training hasn’t gone exactly as I would have liked (traveling, work, getting sick, and life in general have interfered at times), but nonetheless I know that I’ve done as much as I can to be ready for this race.

My three goals for Sunday are:

Goal A – Finish the race in under 2:11:06 (10:00 minute/mile pace)

Goal B – Finish the race in under 2:13:17 (10:10 minute/mile pace)

Goal C – Finish the race in under 2:15:28 (10:20 minute/mile pace)

All three of these goals would result in a new half marathon PR for myself, which is currently 2:19:08 (10:37 pace).  My current PR was set back in June at ZOOMA Annapolis, which was a very hilly course and race day itself was very hot and humid.  Despite the fact that I had the odds against me, I still persevered and managed to set a new PR.  I’m hopeful that, despite training not going 100% as I had hoped, that I’ll be able to push myself harder than I did in June since I’ll be facing much more friendly racing conditions.

I’m very excited for this race weekend.  I plan to head to the expo midday on Saturday, and am hopeful that I’ll be able to attend the We Run Social meetup Saturday afternoon to say a quick hello to fellow bloggers and runners.  If you plan to be there, hopefully I’ll see you.

QOTD: When is your next major race?

This entry was posted in Races and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

53 Responses to My Goals for Sunday’s Rock ‘n’ Roll Philadelphia Half Marathon

1. Steffany R. says:

Good luck this weekend. Hope to see you there!

2. Good goals and we hope to see you there! Both of us will be running on Sunday – @LeahCville is racing to prepare for the Chicago Marathon and @MalindaAnnHill is wobbling to recover from the Rivanna Greenbelt Marathon. 😉

3. Linz says:

good luck girl!! i have no races in my future… haven’t raced at all this year and i totally miss it!!

Can’t wait to hear how it goes! Best of luck to you!! 🙂

5. Awesome goals! Good luck, you got this!

6. Good luck with meeting your goals and capturing a PR for yourself!

7. tonee78 says:

Awesome goals, you will achieve a new PR. Good luck! You got this!

8. Good luck! Those times are within your reach!

9. swosei12blog says:

Good luck and have fun. My next race is Montreal Rock n Roll’s Half Marathon. I probably will not Get a PR but I will enjoy the views that Montreal has to offer.

Good luck! Those goals definitely seem to make sense given how hilly and hot your last half was. I hope you have fun 🙂 The Army 10 miler in October is my next big race.

11. Ivanna says:

Great goal! Best of luck, I don’t have any races planned but plan to run this fall for sure.

12. Janelle @ Run With No Regrets says:

I think you’re going to do great on Sunday! I’m not sure if I’ll be able to make the meetup on Saturday but I’ll def see you on Sunday! 🙂

13. Great goals and good luck. I”m going to try to make the meetup but I’m not sure-hope to see you there!

14. Just think how much easier it’s going to feel than last year! You got this girl

Good luck! My next major race isn’t until May…

16. MB Jackson says:

Good luck! I bet you will do fantastic!

17. Good luck! Hope I get a chance to see you!

18. Whoo hoo!

I don’t really have any goals for this weekend (also, my next big race), but I am just going to enjoy a new city and a new-to-me event.

Hopefully, I’ll see you at the meet-up!

19. I’m looking forward to hearing how you crushed your goals!! Good luck! My next BIG race is Route 66 (Nov. 20), but I have a couple of 13.1’s I’m hoping to land a “redemption” finish time (hopefully in both)…my race last weekend left me a little frustrated.

20. SuzLyfe says:

GOOD LUCK. Go out there and run. Just run. I know you’ve got goals, but try not to overthink everything. The best races (both experience wise as well as timewise) occur when you relax and let you body do what it has trained for, and then you mind picks up the slack in the end!

21. Bruce Pegg says:

Good luck Kathryn–your goals are very achievable, so I am sure you will do well! Running the Rochester Half Marathon myself this weekend. Doubtful that I will make my PR (1:48) (it’s been that kind of year. Go to https://brucepegg.com/ and find out why!), but I’ll be happy anywhere between 1:50 and 2:00.

22. Awesome goals!!! Who knows, maybe you’ll shatter all of them!
    Good luck this weekend, have fun running those beautiful streets of Philly!!!

23. Good luck hitting your A goal! I bet you do it. 🙂
    The #WeRunSocial meetups are so much fun! I always go to them when I can. Love seeing/meeting fellow runners and bloggers.

My next race is the Lighthouse Loop Half on October 30th. Looking forward to race season starting back up next month!

24. Pingback: Friday Five – Potpourri v. 14 | From Dancing to Running

I know you can do it! Have a good race, Kathryn! I’ll follow along (of course)!

26. I’m impressed that you PRed at Zooma Annapolis. It was my first ever almost DNF. Holy humidity. I decided to drop to the 10K four miles in.

Have a fabulous race tomorrow! If you could handle Zooma, Philly should be a piece of cake!

27. Renee says:

I saw your result already so I’ll just say WHOOOO HOOOOOO! You still had a PR and that is awesome!!!

my next race is officially less than 7 days away… Berlin Marathon next sunday. This time next week I’ll have *finally* gotten to run the marathon of one of my favorite European cities, will have a shiny bling around my neck and hopefully a huge stein of beer in front of me (and I won’t say no to a giant bratwurst either!!). I can’t wait 🙂

28. Pingback: Rock ‘n’ Roll Philadelphia Half Marathon Training Log – Week 12 | From Dancing to Running

29. Pingback: 2016 Rock ‘n’ Roll Philadelphia Half Marathon Recap | From Dancing to Running