Rock ‘n’ Roll Philadelphia Half Marathon Training Log – Week 11

I really wish that there was a “slow motion” button for life.  With this past week being the first week of school with my students, I felt like I was not only constantly on the move but also moving at lightning speed because of everything that was going on.  I feel like I’m becoming a broken record by saying this, but I have not been successfully meeting my monthly or weekly goals when it comes to my training.  Its not that I don’t want to meet my goals, its just that too much has been getting in the way and my training has had to take a back seat.  And its not that I’m asking for pity, this is just what my recent reality has been.

Monday was Labor Day, and it was great to for once not be traveling over a holiday weekend.  Preston and I have spent the past three years in Virginia Beach over Labor Day weekend, not only to end the summer at the beach but to also run Rock ‘n’ Roll Virginia Beach.  Although we contemplated going again this year, we decided awhile back that staying home was the better option.  Turns out, we made a great decision since Tropical Storm Hermine impacted Virginia Beach.  Here at home, it was great to kick off the week with a strong run (I ran my last 5k in the Rock ‘n’ Roll Making the Band Virtual Race Series) and have time at home to work on chores and such.

On Monday after completing my third and final 5k in the virtual race series

On Monday after completing my third and final 5k in the virtual race series

Tuesday was the first day of school.  The beginning of the school year is always busy as the students and I work on getting back into a classroom routine.  I made it to the gym on Tuesday, and had high ambitions to work out for a third day in a row on Wednesday.  I had hoped to take little man out for a run, until the sky opened up and we had a nasty evening thunderstorm that kept us inside instead.  I knew that working out on Thursday was out of the question when the week started, as after a full day at school we had Back to School Night, and I didn’t get home until around 9:00 p.m.  I had hoped to make up for two rest days in a row on Friday, except that I was absolutely exhausted from my long day of work the day prior and needed to rest instead Friday evening.

On Saturday I headed out the door for a run, planning to run at least four miles, and possibly up to six depending on how I felt during the run.  Although my legs were tired by the end, I did push myself to run a hilly 10k.  And even though yesterday was busy, which included hosting little man’s godmother for dinner, I did squeeze in a short strength training session late yesterday evening.

Jumping for joy that I was only one week out from Rock 'n' Roll Philly

Jumping for joy that I was only one week out from Rock ‘n’ Roll Philly

I’ll admit, I’m starting to feel a bit guilty about the number of rest days that I’ve had recently.  I know that I shouldn’t, since life is all about balance.  But part of me feels as though I should be more active than I have been, while the other part of me feels like I’ve been doing my best to balance everything in life, and that’s all that I can ask of myself.  Regardless, I’m very anxious about Sunday’s half marathon.  I know that I’ve put in the hard work, particularly on my long runs, to be successful on Sunday.  But part of me wonders how much more I’d be able to push myself if I were more consistent with my cross training and strength training.  But then there’s another part of me that thinks that I’m beating myself up too much.  Regardless of which part of me is “right,” I can’t wait to see how everything plays out during Sunday’s race.

Mon 9/5 – 3.10 mile run, 0.40 mile cool down walk

Tues 9/6 – 30 minutes of weight training (upper body, lower body, abs), 15 minutes on the elliptical

Wed 9/7 – Rest day

Thurs 9/8 – Rest day

Fri 9/9 – Rest day

Sat 9/10 – 6.20 mile run, 0.66 mile cool down walk

Sun 9/11 – 15 minutes of strength training (upper body and abs)

Total Weekly Mileage – 11.58 miles (7.74 miles less than week 10)

Total RnRPhilly Mileage – 185.03 miles

QOTD: How hard are you on yourself when you don’t meet your goals?

I’m linking up with Holly from HoHo Runs and Tricia from MissSippiPiddlin for the Weekly Wrap link up.  Be sure to check out their posts as well.

WeeklyWrap

This entry was posted in RnR Philly Half Marathon Training, Training and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

50 Responses to Rock ‘n’ Roll Philadelphia Half Marathon Training Log – Week 11

1. I hate to tell you this but life was on fast forward once I had the boys. And it keeps speeding up! I look at them and think, how did I get to have a 19 and a 17 year old?

Enjoy every moment!

2. Girl you are doing great! Just remember that the start of school is always a busy and crazy time! You are trying to get back into a routine…and going back to work has you crazy tired. You will get adjusted! But balance is the key. Don’t be too hard on yourself. You have to listen to your body as well as understanding that family and your little man has to come first. I think you are going to surprise yourself race day! You will do great! I definitely understand how you feel. I’ve had a goal ever since school started almost a month ago here to get in at least 2 strength training sessions each week. Just 2! That is so doable! But nope…I’ve struggled and haven’t gotten it in every week. I don’t like that I haven’t made my goals but that’s life sometimes. Hugs girl!

3. Heather says:

I’m right there with you on the whole “slow motion button” thing. Days are FLYING by. I think, like you, I’d feel bad about taking “too many” rest days, but I know my body needs them. It’s not like you’re taking them on days that you’re doing nothing- you’re busy girl! You’ll do great in your half 🙂

Don’t stress, and have fun on Sunday. I used to be really hard on myself when I was missing workouts, but I can only do so much to balance things out. If I don’t balance things, I get exhausted, and then possiblyy sick with a cold. You’ve put in the work, and I’m sure you’ll do great!

5. Janelle @ Run With No Regrets says:

I can definitely be hard on myself if I don’t fit in all of my runs…it’s been a struggle. I think I try to do my best to focus on the big picture – missing a few days won’t hurt you after so many weeks of training. I think you’re gonna smoke the half – I can’t wait to see you and find out how it goes!

6. carmyy says:

Hope Sunday goes well for you! 🙂

7. I found that even if I’m too beat to do anything, if I can at least squeeze in some crunches and pushups. I don’t feel like a total fitness failure. A couple of minutes on the floor before bed can at least get your head in a better place.

8. Sometimes I’m hard on myself for not getting in all the training but on the other hand sometimes we just need the break. I don’t get upset about missing a day here and there…I’m more upset about the last three-four weeks of running I am missing due to injury.
    You still did a great job getting in your runs/workouts.

9. Ana says:

I’m sorry to say, but time starts flying faster when the little ones start walking, and it just keeps flying after that.

I really admire the time and hard work that you have put in your training, with so many other things going on in life! You will do fantastic on the Half marathon!

I’m super excited for it!

Good luck on Sunday’s race! You’re going to do great 🙂 And you definitely have a lot on your plate right now and it makes sense that sometimes training has to take a back seat to other priorities.

11. Sometimes life interferes with training. But in 10 or 20 years, it’s the life, not the training that you’ll remember. Second time I’ve commented that this morning!

I’ll take one of those slow motion buttons, please! You’ve done great with your training and I know you’re going to have an awesome race on Sunday! I understand all about training having to take a backseat – sometimes life things are more important…especially spending precious time with little man!

13. I think you’re gonna do great on Sunday…and you will be pleasantly surprised just how “ready” you actually are for that start line 😉 Like you said, you’re keeping things in balance. Even though you’ve had some “rest” days (from running), you have not exactly been sitting on the couch eating bon bons LOL

14. Coco says:

You have a lot going on. Plus, it’s much better to go into a race well-rested rather than over-trained. I bet the extra rest days may actually pay off for you!

15. I admit I am sometimes hard on myself for missing workouts but really how does that help? It just makes you feel stressed and worse. Being a mom of little ones means that you constantly have to adapt your expectations for everything.

16. I try to mix in planks and kettlebell swings when I am crunched for time. I need to be better about stretching every day but hey–time can get away from the best of us!

17. Girllll I’m pretty hard on myself when I don’t reach my goals. I have had a bunch of travelling and some missed runs now that grad school has started up and then I’ve been at work late. It sucks. I’d rather be running and training hard, but there’s nothing I can do but try my best to stay on track!

18. MB Jackson says:

We are always toughest on ourself for what ever reason! Need 3 rest days, take 3 rest days- we certainly won’t tell! 🙂

19. Cut yourself some slack – the first week back at school is hard. I’m not even a teacher and I was exhausted last week. You’ll settle into a better routine soon – until your little guy hits another phase and throws a challenge your way. That’s the only guarantee with kids – nothing stays the same for very long. (Sometimes this is good too LOL)

20. Aww don’t beat yourself up about your goals. Just adjust them if need be!
    I here ya on a hectic first week of school. We had our back to school night last week as well.
    You certainly did make a good call not going to VA beach. I much more enjoy staying home for a holiday weekend and using the extra days to relax or catch up on stuff!

21. Just a few more days!

I am pretty hard on myself about taking rest days. I know they are good for you and the right thing to do, but I always feel lazy when they are happening. Which is ridiculous. But it is what it is.

We went to Va Beach last year, and I was really glad we stayed home this year. it was fun, but it makes for a crazy weekend and I was good staying home and chilling out.

Hope to see you soon!

22. I wish there was a pause or slow button. I’ve decided life just has a Fast forward button the older I get. I never seem to fit it all and while I used to be awesome at balancing it all, I have not been so great at it the past few months. I’m hoping to change that, key word hoping, LOL No, I will change it!
    Rest days are good, don’t be hard on yourself. Unless rest days turn into more than 7 in a row, there is no reason to feel guilty I’ve decided LOL

23. HoHo Runs says:

I think we are all a little tough on ourselves. (The social media comparison doesn’t help either.) You’ll have a wonderful race this weekend. Just line up and do the best you can — and most importantly — enjoy the experience! Good luck! Thanks for linking, Kathryn.

24. jaycer123 says:

Fantastic! Good Luck this weekend! I hope that all your hard work pays off and you’re able to meet the goal you set for yourself with this run. I’m hard on myself – a little too much – when I don’t meet a goal…

25. I feel ya pain lady, I’m making most of my training but failing in the blogging department. Most times it is lack of planning but others, there is just not enough hours in the day.
    I wish you great luck in your race this weekend too! Don’t sweat the small stuff just finish! 🙂