Rock ‘n’ Roll Philadelphia Half Marathon Training Log – Week 9

After being sick and away on vacation, it felt great to get back at it with my training.  On Monday I ran for the first time in six days.  Preston and I decided to put little man in the BOB and make it a family outing.  Most first runs after being sick or on vacation are difficult, and the challenge was certainly intensified by running with little man in his stroller.  But it was a good challenge, and a great way for the three of us to spend time together.

We had a great evening run together, even if little man decided to nap during the run

Although my long run this week was nowhere near the distance that I had originally planned for at the beginning of my Philly training, I knew that it would be best to be smart and reduce the length of my long run this past weekend.  I opted for a safe six miles, and my change of plan worked in my favor.  Not only did I feel strong during my run, but I also managed to pull out a new mile PR.  After a strong long run on Saturday, I can’t wait to see how next weekend’s long run goes.

Who knew that a week ago I was sick and on vacation?

Who knew that a week ago I was sick and on vacation?

This past week was also a week of firsts for me.  For one, it was the first week in as long as I can remember that I was active every single day (with the exception of walking around Disney).  Secondly, for the first time in months I hit my strength training goal for the week.  For months, I’ve been trying to fit in time to strength train three times per week, and this week I finally did it!  Two of my sessions were only 15 minutes long, but its definitely progress in the right direction.  Hopefully I can keep this momentum going in the coming week.

Mon 8/22 – 3.10 mile run with the BOB, 0.39 mile cool down walk

Tues 8/23 – 2.61 mile walk

Wed 8/24 – 30 minutes on the elliptical, 30 minutes of strength training (upper body, lower body, abs)

Thurs 8/25 – 3.20 mile run, 0.49 mile cool down walk

Fri 8/26 – 15 minutes of strength training (upper body, abs)

Sat 8/27 – 6.00 mile run, 0.80 mile cool down walk

Sun 8/28 – 1.89 mile walk, 15 minutes of strength training (lower body, abs)

Total Weekly Mileage – 21.02 miles (17.59 miles more than week 8)

Total RnRPhilly Mileage – 154.13 miles

QOTD: When was the last time that you adjusted your long run mileage?  Why did you have to adjust it?

I’m linking up with Holly from HoHo Runs and Tricia from MissSippiPiddlin for the Weekly Wrap link up.  Be sure to check out their posts as well.

WeeklyWrap

This entry was posted in RnR Philly Half Marathon Training, Training and tagged , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

29 Responses to Rock ‘n’ Roll Philadelphia Half Marathon Training Log – Week 9

1. Coco says:

Great week! Definitely smart to start with a solid base and build up from there!

2. I have no doubt you’ll be ready for your half! Don’t sweat having to cut your run short. There will be more!

3. Nice job hitting your goals! And on your mile PB! I’ve been adjusting (shortening) my longer runs all summer. It’s just been too hot and I got tired of the struggle. Can’t wait for cooler weather!

Definitely sounds like a great week, especially after being sick. Way to get in that strength training 🙂

5. Way to go getting your strength work in! Especially after coming back from being sick and holidays.

6. Ivanna says:

I recently started back running and decided I’d keep my miles lower in order to build up and keep from injury. Great training week you’ve had

I got my to my regular pattern and it felt great too. My miles are low for now, but my cardio’s still in pretty good shape. I’ve been sporadic so I wasn’t sure how that aspect was.

8. Janelle @ Run With No Regrets says:

Great job!! I think reducing the distance of your long run was the right move. And yay for PR’s, that’s super exciting!

9. Wow, great week! It’s been three weeks since my last long run and I so miss running. Sometimes reducing the long run can be just what you need…at least you are getting in that run!

10. Really solid week – I’m so glad you are feeling better!

11. Yay!!
    Way to hit your strength goal AND do something active each day 🙂

12. carmyy says:

Woo! Way to hit your strengthen goal!

13. What a great week! I’m blanking on what your longest run (for this training cycle) has been, but cutting a run short now and then is no big deal. One time, I was only able to get up to a 9-miler in training for a half marathon, and all went well. I think making it to 10 miles (or more) at that point is more about peace of mind and not really about physical conditioning. (my opinion) You’re doing great!

14. Awww, little man is so cute! Great job on your training this week!

15. Glad to hear you’re feeling healthy and strong again! I’ve definitely had to adjust my runs. I learned the hard way last year when I was forcing myself to complete my runs to specification, and then I hurt myself. :-\

16. jaycer123 says:

I can’t even imagine this distance – I give you props!

17. Love it when they fall asleep on the run! Although it’s more fun when I get to make faces at my little guy while I run.

18. That’s great that you are able to get some speed up with this heat we are having.

19. I’m glad you’re getting back out there after your illness. It’s always a challenge, but you’re doing great.

I cut my long run by a few miles a couple of weeks ago. I just wasn’t feeling it and was struggling and figured that I needed to get out and try again the next week. It was the right call.

20. Great week! You must of had a lot of built up energy or desire after being sick! Great job!
    Man I have been lazy haven’t bumped my mileage up much in the past month. I may give it a try this week, not much and not for anything specific, I would just like to be out on the trails longer, LOL
    Are you already back in school or soon? I know the schools here started a week or two ago, whenever yours starts hope you have a great first week and a great group of kids this year in your class(es).

21. Wow girl! What an awesome week you had! Great job on the fastest mile! And I love that you guys took little man out for your run!

22. Congratulations on hitting your fastest mile! I’m sure taking time off while you were sick was the right thing to do. You came back to your running strong. I am so bad at strength training too. Good thing I teach body pump once a week or nothing would happen for me.

23. Great way to get in your run and family time too! Little man has the right idea though!
    Sounds like your really falling right back into the routine you need.
    I’ve been in the off-season all summer but looking at my training schedule come this fall, I’ll be doing some changing up for sure!

24. MB Jackson says:

great week! congrats on all your firsts!!!!!!!

25. HoHo Runs says:

Well it’s good to see that Little Man feels comfy in the BOB. I’m sure you will all get lots of use out of it. I wouldn’t fret about cutting your long run short. You have a great base of mileage anyway. However, the quality of your run was fantastic — the quantity is secondary, in my opinion. Congrats on that Fastest Mile message! Thanks for linking, Kathryn.

26. I am doing this race too! So much fun!

27. The last time I adjusted was yesterday haha. I had to do 15 but got sick the night before…just a little cold but enough for your body to feel like it doesnt have energy. I ended up “just” doing 10 lol. I actually felt decent so just kept going till I got tired. I’m hoping that 5 miles doesnt make a huge difference in the long run.No pun intended!