Rock ‘n’ Roll Philadelphia Half Marathon Training Log – Weeks 7 and 8

What a roller coaster of a two weeks its been!  The past two weeks have been filled with lots of highs, a bit of stress as we got ready for vacation, an incredible vacation at Disney World, but sadly included little man and I getting sick.

Our gang of 11 with Mickey last Sunday

Our gang of 11 with Mickey last Sunday

During the week leading up to vacation I was able to successfully keep up with my training.  Not only did I complete my first run with the BOB stroller, but I also made it to the gym for a weight training session.  I ended my 7th week of training with an early morning run on the hotel treadmill after getting into Orlando late the evening prior.  I enjoyed a beautiful sunrise run around the Seven Seas Lagoon at Disney early in my 8th week of training, and then later that day started feeling a cold coming on.  By the time I woke up Wednesday morning, I was extremely congested, and I’m still fighting the symptoms of my cold now.  Even though one of my monthly goals was to keep up with my training while we were on vacation, I decided that trying to push through feeling sick to continue running would take away from my ability to enjoy little man’s first trip at Disney.  Tomorrow will mark one week since I last ran, and hopefully soon I’ll feel up to working out again.

I was treated to an absolutely beautiful sunrise over the Seven Seas Lagoon during my one and only run at Disney World last week

This coming week is going to be all about getting back into our routine.  Little man goes back to daycare today, and starting today I have a series of half days at school filled with meetings, and I’ll be back at school full time starting on Friday.  Although students don’t start school until after Labor Day, there’s a lot of work to do in advance of them coming back.  As I continue to recover from this cold I’ve been battling I also need to find time to get back into my training routine.  With Rock ‘n’ Roll Philly less than a month away, I really need to buckle down and focus on ramping up my mileage.

Week 7:

Mon 8/8 – 3.10 mile run with the BOB, 0.61 mile cool down walk

Tues 8/9 – 30 minutes on the elliptical, 35 minutes of weight training (upper body, lower body, abs)

Wed 8/10 – Rest day

Thurs 8/11 – 3.10 mile run, 0.28 mile cool down walk, 15 minutes of strength training (lower body, abs)

Fri 8/12 – Rest/travel day

Sat 8/13 – 3.10 mile run on the treadmill, 0.31 mile cool down walk, walking around Disney

Sun 8/14 – Walking around Disney

Total Weekly Mileage – 13.12 miles (11.90 miles less than week 6)

Week 8:

Mon 8/15 – Walking around Disney

Tues 8/16 – 3.10 mile run, 0.33 mile cool down walk, walking around Disney

Wed 8/17 – Walking around Disney

Thurs 8/18 – Walking around Disney

Fri 8/19 – Walking around Disney

Sat 8/20 – Walking around Disney, travel day

Sun 8/21 – Rest day

Total Weekly Mileage – 3.43 miles (9.69 miles less than week 7)

Total RnRPhilly Mileage – 133.11 miles

QOTD: When does school start where you live?

I’m linking up with Holly from HoHo Runs and Tricia from MissSippiPiddlin for the Weekly Wrap link up.  Be sure to check out their posts as well.

WeeklyWrap

This entry was posted in RnR Philly Half Marathon Training, Training and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

46 Responses to Rock ‘n’ Roll Philadelphia Half Marathon Training Log – Weeks 7 and 8

1. christyruns says:

My kids start school tomorrow! They are so sad summer is over, but really excited to see their friends and I am excited to get back to a routine.
    Hope you get over your cold and back to running strong soon!

2. School starts today! It feels weird, only having one boy in school.

Hope you’re on the mend! Why do colds seem so much worse in the summer?

I struggled with a cold last week too 😦 It seems smart that you didn’t run with the cold so you could enjoy the baby’s first trip to Disney World! Plus, taxing your body may have ended up with a longer time before you’re fully recovered.

Schools either started last Monday or today. Students are back on campus, and we always get a slow system the first two days back. The servers have to adjust to all the students logging in along with faculty and staff.

5. I’m so sorry you got sick on vacation! No fun at all! I also can’t believe schools are starting again. Summer flew by!

6. Janelle @ Run With No Regrets says:

Sorry to hear that you’ve been sick for the past week. I hope you and your family have been having a great time at Disney! I think school usually starts around Labor Day in Philly. I always thought it was weird for school to start in August! Hope you’re feeling better soon, I know you’re going to do great at RNR 🙂

7. laurenweiner says:

Sorry to hear that you are sick 😦 Summer colds are miserable! Schools around here start the day after Labor Day.

8. Such a drag to get sick in the middle of vacation AND in the middle of training. I hope you’re feeling better!

Oh yuck…I’m so sorry about the cold! 😦 I did enjoy seeing all of your Disney pictures…your little guy looked as if he enjoyed himself!!

10. mkadens1 says:

Sorry you guys were sick. School started here last week and my high schooler already caught a bug by day 3. Disney looks awesome as always!

11. Great pic of the Gang! Looks like you guys were having fun. Sorry to hear that you both have been sick. Even though you were not able to get any of your runs in but one, you had plenty of activity walking around the parks. That is a workout in itself.

12. carmyy says:

I swear, walking around Disneyland is quite the workout. Every time I’m at an amusement park, all the walking I’ve done is way more exhausting than running!

13. Sick is no good but what great family memories at Disney. School here doesn’t start until Sept but my little guy isn’t school aged yet. :-/

14. MB Jackson says:

I hope you loved Orlando! There is a lot of crap in the air so it maybe good ole Florida allergies and may pass soon! You probably got tons of miles walking the parks so you got more of a workout than you thought! 🙂 Hope you feel better, enjoy the week!

15. Great job keeping up with your workouts while on vacation! Wow, just walking around Disney is a workout, especially in the heat!

16. Hope you feel better soon!!! Walking around Disney parks is no joke, it is a pretty great workout. My daughter went back to school last week.

17. I saw all your cute Disney pics! Hope you both are feeling better. Getting sick on vacation is never fun

18. Good for you for fitting in your runs on vacation. I’m awful doing them – I’d much rather relax and nap! I hope you’re able to kick this cold soon!

19. I hope you’re feeling better! Last summer I got sick on vacation and it was the worst. I couldn’t imagine running with a stroller- it sounds like it would be so hard! School here starts on Wednesday, and I really can’t believe how quickly the summer went by!

20. Disney looked awesome! Our son (at college) starts class tomorrow, and our daughter (a junior at the HS) goes back on Wednesday. Did I just type that????? Where did the summer go?

21. HoHo Runs says:

I’m sorry to hear you caught a cold while on vacation. I enjoyed all of your Disney pictures. I have run around Seven Seas Lagoon and captured a beautiful sunrise as well. I love the NB trail in the Wilderness Lodge & Campground areas. I hope you feel better and can start back with your training this week. Thanks for linking, Kathryn!

22. Ugh. So sorry you’re sick. Coming down with something while vacation stinks!

We are already back in school – little man started on 8/10, so things are back in full swing! It’s crazy, but everything has fallen back into routine very easily.

23. Other than being sick your disney vacation sounds wonderful! I bet he has such a wonderful time! They tell me my first trip was when I was 3 and I have a vivid memory of picking out my Donald the Duck stuffed animal! True story! I would so count walking around Disney as exercise too! Man when we go some days we’ll get close to 30,000 steps! It’s no joke!
    School started August 4th for us. I don’t know of anyone starting before us either.

24. you’re so good with balancing running, XT and lifting! I haven’t done a lift session in forever but really should get back into it. I can’t wait until after the marathon when I can focus solely on lifting in the gym!