Rock ‘n’ Roll Philadelphia Half Marathon Training Log – Week 6

This week marked the halfway point in my 12 weeks of training for Rock ‘n’ Roll Philly.  After completing a nine mile run on Saturday, I’m feeling pretty confident in my preparation for next month’s race, which is an especially good feeling to have as we get ready to go on vacation.  Depending on how I’m feeling after vacation, I’ll either complete one or two double digit long runs before my ninth half marathon.

During Saturday's long run, I encountered another deer.

During Saturday’s long run, I encountered another deer.

One of the things that helped with this past week’s training was the weather.  Our streak of 90 and 100 degree days finally ended this past week.  The lower temperature and humidity has been extremely motivating and helpful in getting me out of the house to train.  I’m doing the best that I can to balance the demands of being home with little man and training, but we finally have our BOB stroller assembled and ready to use.  I’ve taken little man out for a couple of walks in it, and I can certainly feel the difference between it and our regular stroller – it makes for a much smoother ride.  Depending on how this week goes, particularly with Preston’s schedule, I may try to take little man for his first run in it.

I was able to complete my three runs last week solo, but if needed I'll take little man out with me this week.

I was able to complete my three runs last week solo, but if needed I’ll take little man out with me this week.

This past week reminded me of the need to be flexible.  Preston got stuck at work on Tuesday, and didn’t get home in time for me to be able to go for a run.  My planned run on Tuesday had to be moved to Wednesday morning, which wasn’t ideal since I had planned runs for Thursday and Saturday.  While not ideal, as a mom you do what you have to do.  But now that the BOB is ready to go this should help on days when I can’t get out for a run on my own, as long as the weather is cooperating.

It’ll be another busy week as we prepare to leave for vacation.  Hopefully I can be just as productive with my training as I was this past week.

Mon 8/1 – 30 minutes on the elliptical, 25 minutes of weight training (upper body, lower body, abs)

Tues 8/2 – Rest day

Wed 8/3 – 3.20 mile run, 0.26 mile cool down walk, 3.03 mile walk

Thurs 8/4 – 4.00 mile run, 0.37 mile cool down walk, 15 minutes of strength training (lower body, abs)

Fri 8/5 – 1.88 mile walk

Sat 8/6 – 9.00 mile run, 0.68 mile cool down walk

Sun 8/7 – Rest day

Total Weekly Mileage – 25.02 miles (13.06 miles more than week 5)

Total RnRPhilly Mileage – 116.56 miles

QOTD: What have you recently seen while out running?

I’m linking up with Holly from HoHo Runs and Tricia from MissSippiPiddlin for the Weekly Wrap link up.  Be sure to check out their posts as well.

WeeklyWrap

This entry was posted in RnR Philly Half Marathon Training, Training and tagged , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

56 Responses to Rock ‘n’ Roll Philadelphia Half Marathon Training Log – Week 6

1. Steffany R. says:

Great job! It’s important to be flexible, especially now with the little one. You’ll do great at Philly. Can’t wait to see you there!

2. The weather has really been tough on my runs! Glad to hear you got a break in the heat.

I would love some of your weather…send a bit of it my way! 🙂 Great job on the 9 mile run!!

Flexibility is key! It sounds like you handled the week well 🙂 The lower temperatures this week really did help.

5. Janelle @ Run With No Regrets says:

The BOB stroller sounds like a great addition, hopefully it helps when you and the little one head out on a run together! It was a relief last week for sure but I think we’re getting another heat wave…grrr! Great job this past week!

6. Looks like you’re doing quite well with your runs! I often see deer on my runs but this weekend I saw geese and a very fast ground hog..lol

7. Elle says:

Glad to hear the new stroller is good. I bet your little man will love being out there with Mama in his new smoother ride. Enjoy your vacation! Sounds like you have really earned it.

8. Apparently there were deer on the trail during my 16 miler on Saturday but I was completely oblivious to them!

9. I loved having a stroller for my runs (when my girls were small), they get to see so much AND nap sometimes too! Great week.

10. Ana says:

I just saw two deer fawn in my trail run the other day!

you got that right… as a mom, when the schedule calls for a change, there has to be flexibility!

11. You are really knocking out those runs! I can’t wait to hear about your success at the Philly half!

12. I have been seeing so many more deer out there this year too! Still having a hard time with the heat myself glad to hear you are doing better with it. Have a great week!

13. carmyy says:

So happy that your heat wave is over! So jealous!

14. I have been dong a lot of early morning runs recently, so that has helped with the heat. We did have a brief reprieve over the weekend…but it’s due to return tomorrow.

15. What a great week! The weather was SOOO much better here, too, thank goodness!

16. The heat and humidity this summer have been awful! Glad you are having some better weather. We still have the heat and humidity and probably will for a few more months.

17. Debbie says:

Hurray for cooler weather! I can’t wait until it cools off here which probably won’t be for another month.

18. Glad you got a break in the heat! It briefly cooled here for a day or two, but the heat and humidity are returning. Good luck with your first run with your little man 🙂

19. great week! I’m so glad you got a break in the weather. I don’t know when we are going to get one here, but I’m desperate for it!

20. Way to go logging all those miles!!! I am just starting to get mine back up again!

21. This weekend was awful, but I got in an awesome run today. I’d love it if some of my speed would come back though.

Good job getting it all in. My kids are way older and I still struggle sometimes.

22. sweshfit says:

I’m hearing about all these crazy high temps and feeling a little grateful for Cali weather. I love the heat but it’s a beast when you’re running.

23. Looks like a great week! I see lots of stuff here in Florida… Armadillos, frogs, this week we say thousands of snails!

24. laurenweiner says:

Glad the weather has finally gotten more tolerable. I’m super impressed in your (and other mothers) ability to get out there and stick to a training schedule and run with a stroller!!!

I remember going on an early morning run on vacation in Pennsylvania and running around a corner straight toward a few deer. Scared me half to death, and they took off running in every direction.

I’m happy that the DC weather was better for my conference this week. While I ended up a sweaty mess Sunday walking to the zoo, it felt great that I could be outside and not melt after the first 20 seconds.

26. Half way there already! I’m not going to say too much but…(in a very low tone) our temps are on the drop a bit this week too. I could not be anymore excited about it either! Great job on being flexible too. Life has a way of doing that and you either can throw a fit or deal with it.
    I saw a snake this morning, it was dead thank goodness cause I was on top of if before I realized it! Thank you Kathryn for you continued support of our WW link up!

27. HoHo Runs says:

I wondered if you were going to be using a BOB. That will definitely give you more freedom to choose when to run But you are right, it’s all about being flexible.– doing what you can when you can. I ran for years at the Y on my lunch break all because of my kids schedules. Your race will be here very soon! I know you are excited for run #9. I hope you enjoy your vacation! Thanks for linking, Kathryn!

28. MB Jackson says:

I am glad you are getting a break in the heat- maybe it will come my way! The new stroller sounds great and may be a game changer for you for those shorter runs 🙂 Have fun playing with that! Great week in mileage, enjoy getting ready for vacay!