Rock ‘n’ Roll Philadelphia Half Marathon Training Log – Week 5

Thank goodness this past week was a cut back week for my training mileage.  Outside of training, it was quite a busy week.  On Thursday, I finished up my summer curriculum project.  Though my work over the past three weeks was quite rewarding, I’m looking forward to not having to work for the next several weeks so that I can go back to enjoying being a full time mom to little man without work trying to distract me.  Speaking of little man, on Thursday it finally cooled off enough for me to be able to take him for an evening walk in his stroller.  It was a great way to celebrate being done with my project.

All smiles since we were able to go for a walk

All smiles since it was finally cool enough to be able to go for a walk together

Friday afternoon little man and I took my mom to the airport so that she could fly home to Illinois (she graciously offered to come here to take care of little man while I was working on my curriculum project so that we didn’t have to put him in daycare).  Unfortunately, massive flight delays resulted in her first flight of the day being so delayed that she would have missed her connection and been stuck in Chicago for the night.  So we returned to the airport to pick her back up and she wound up leaving at 6 a.m. on Saturday.

Saturday was special because it marked five years of marriage for Preston and I.  Midday on Saturday we drove little man up to south Jersey to drop him off at my father-in-law’s house for his first sleepover there.  He slept through the night for his Grandpop, and the two of them had a lot of fun together while Preston and I celebrated our anniversary with an afternoon at a winery in Pennsylvania followed by dinner at an historic inn.

Celebrating five wonderful years of marriage

Celebrating five wonderful years of marriage

On the training front, it was a bit of a mixed week.  I only completed two of my three planned runs.  I had planned to run 4 miles yesterday, but was too tired and couldn’t get my head in the game, so I opted to skip it.  I rarely skip my runs, but since we were out of town celebrating our anniversary I decided that it was a good enough reason to not head out for my planned run.  In the long run, one missed run won’t negatively impact my training, and since I still have a month and a half til race day I’m not worried.

The success of Friday morning’s run made up for my missed run though.  With the break in the heat and humidity, I was able to push myself a bit harder during that run.  Not only did I get a new 5k PR, but I also got a new mile PR (it wasn’t one of the splits from my run, but rather was from about miles 1.5-2.5 of my run).

All of the stats from Friday morning's run

All of the stats from Friday morning’s run

And to top that off, I crushed my July mileage goal, which was to log 70 miles.  My July total was 81.8 miles!  I’m ecstatic!  I plan to reflect back on all of my July goals later this week.

//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js

This coming week my mileage increases again.  Without my mom here anymore, I won’t be able to run in the mornings like I have been for the past couple of weeks.  I’ll be back to evening running once Preston gets home from work.  We’ll see what happens to my pace!

Mon 7/25 – 30 minutes on the elliptical, 30 minutes of weight training (upper body, lower body, abs)

Tues 7/26 – 3.62 mile run, 0.41 mile cool down walk

Wed 7/27 – Rest day

Thurs 7/28 – 1.91 mile walk, 15 minutes of strength training (upper body, abs)

Fri 7/29 – 3.10 mile run, 0.37 mile cool down walk

Sat 7/30 – Rest day

Sun 7/31 – Rest day

Total Weekly Mileage – 11.96 miles (8.65 miles less than week 4)

Total RnRPhilly Mileage – 91.54 miles

QOTD: What was your July mileage total?

I’m linking up with Holly from HoHo Runs and Tricia from MissSippiPiddlin for the Weekly Wrap link up.  Be sure to check out their posts as well.

WeeklyWrap

This entry was posted in RnR Philly Half Marathon Training, Training and tagged , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

33 Responses to Rock ‘n’ Roll Philadelphia Half Marathon Training Log – Week 5

1. Congrats on your monthly mileage! Mine was 43. Kind of lower than what I’m used to but more than I hoped for. The summer heat is making those miles tough, tho!

2. Janelle @ Run With No Regrets says:

Great job on your runs and happy anniversary! That’s great that your mom was able to come and help out with your little one. I hope you enjoy these next few weeks with your curriculum project complete. You are getting so fast now, it’s so exciting to see! 🙂

Congrats on those PRs and beating your July mileage goals! That’s impressive in this heat 🙂

One missed run won’t do anything, and you already did such a great job with your July mileage. Sometimes a break is needed, and recharging is good for the next run.

5. Happy Anniversary! And good job on your training week. Cutback weeks are there for a reason, so cutting back a little extra doesn’t hurt.

6. Oh my look at his cute little smile!! I saw your anniversary pics you have not changed a bit. Hope you had a really nice time celebrating

7. Congrats on the monthly mileage and the mile PR – and also to you and Preston! Happy anniversary!

8. Great job on that PR and July mileage!!! And happy anniversary!!!

9. Congrats on everything! Mileage, PR’s, curriculum stuff, etc 😉 My mileage was low considering 37 miles of those were for my ultra LOL….. a whopping 68 total!! The wonky heel (that is pretty much healed) and the angry hammy (that is less angry) kinda dictated I keep things on the down-low. Oh well…

10. Like you said, one missed run won’t be even a blip on your overall training plan. I’m glad you two had a great weekend away!

11. Happy anniversary! We are celebrating 10 years in November, and I can’t wait!

I think this will be my cutback week. I feel like I am ahead of the game with my training, any maybe I can take a little break 🙂

You’re doing great. Not having your mom around will be an adjustment, but you’ve been handling those hiccups beautifully!

12. MB Jackson says:

congrats to you! High miles, fast miles and a PR! Happy Anniversary! Looks like you had a nice celebration 🙂

13. sweshfit says:

Wow 80 miles in a month? Your Fitbit steps must be off the chain!

14. Carmy says:

Way to crush your July mileage!

15. Ashby says:

Good luck with increasing your mileage this week! Glad to see I’m not the only runner who opted out of the Fitbit craze!!

16. Happy Anniversary! Glad you were able to get away to celebrate! And, nice job with your monthly mileage – I managed 62 which given thas awful humidity I’m happy with 🙂

17. HoHo Runs says:

I was shocked to end up at 113 miles for July. I really had no idea. I was just busy putting my head down and running in this crazy heat. Happy Anniversary! It sounds like a wonderful overnight getaway. Congrats on all those wonderful numbers on Friday’s run. I love it when Garmin pops up with those record numbers! I can’t believe how big Little Man is getting, by the way. Thanks for linking, Kathryn!

18. Aww Happy Anniversary to you two! 5 years, I’ll be married 5 come next March! How sweet of your mom to come help out. I know your glad all the work is behind you! Wow, how impressive right at 82 miles for July too! Even with my runstreak it is nowhere near yours! Thanks for linking up Kathryn!

19. Congratulation you. Try your best in futute and get new miles.