Two weeks ago I shared tips for summer training. No matter how many things you do in order to make training during the summer more bearable, even the best athletes find it difficult to stay motivated to train during the summer, especially when the heat and humidity spike high. Even though I surprised myself with a PR at ZOOMA Annapolis last month, I’m hopeful that my hard work will pay off at Rock ‘n’ Roll Philly in mid-September, which is my goal race for the fall. So what am I doing to stay motivated, especially during the current heat wave?
1. I’m focusing on positive thinking and believing in myself. Sure, the heat and humidity are challenging my ability to push myself, but if I don’t convince myself that I can push through the difficulty that comes with training during the summer, then how can I physically expect myself to meet the challenge?
2. I’m staying focused on my goal. While I haven’t set my race goals yet, and won’t until closer to race day, I know that I want to push myself to PR. And if I don’t keep my focus on that goal as I train, then I won’t be able to reach my goal in September.
3. I’m making my training a priority. Summer is always a busy time of the year, and this is my busiest summer yet since I’m now a mom. But as I look at my calendar each week, I’m prioritizing my training in order to make sure that I still fit my training in, especially my long runs. Even when traveling, I’m making sure to do my best to still find time to train.
4. I’m reminding myself that its okay to slow down. While this seems counterproductive to my goal to PR, its not only okay to slow down during the summer, but its essential, especially when its super hot and/or humid outside. My speed will come back once the heat and/or humidity are more favorable.
5. I’m reminding myself that fall PRs are made with hard work during the summer. I constantly remind myself of this, especially when I don’t want to head out the door for a run or in the middle of an extremely difficult run.
QOTD: How do you keep yourself motivated to train during the summer?