Rock ‘n’ Roll Philadelphia Half Marathon Training Log – Week 3

Its amazing the difference a week makes.  In the past week of being back home from my parents’ house I’ve gone back to work part time and the heat and humidity have gone out of control.  Both of those factors led to not being as active as I was the week that little man and I were at my parents’ house in Illinois, but nonetheless, it was still a productive week of training.

For most of my curriculum project this year, I’m working from home.  My team is designing a new online AP World History course for our school district, and after two days of working together in person we were given the option to work remotely.  I’ve been loving the flexibility of working from home, as last week it allowed me to complete my two weekday runs in the morning before the temperature started to get too warm.  Since during the school year I usually have to leave before sunrise for school, I’ve been thoroughly enjoying this change of pace.  I usually have trouble embracing morning running on the weekends, but with last week’s heat, I’ve been super thankful for the ability to run in the morning.

Friday morning I completed my first of three runs in the new Rock ‘n’ Roll virtual race series.  I earned my Guitar Solo medal, and can’t wait to receive it in the mail!

Running in the morning plus the motivation of a virtual race helped push me a bit harder as I earned my Guitar Solo medal

The one thing I’m very disappointed in myself in is my lack of strength training last week.  I only worked on strength training once, which is far from my goal of three times per week.  Between working part time, the heat wave, and a busy week of finishing up planning the baby shower that I co-hosted on Saturday, strength training was the first thing to go to the wayside last week.  I need to make it a higher priority this coming week.

Our heat wave in the DC area is supposed to continue throughout all of this week, so it’ll be another hot, sweaty week of working out.  But I’m optimistic that I can make it a productive week if I put my time and focus into doing so.

Mon 7/11 – 2.56 mile walk

Tues 7/12 – Rest day

Wed 7/13 – 3.25 mile run, 0.40 mile cool down walk, 1.93 mile walk

Thurs 7/14 – 30 minutes on the elliptical, 30 minutes of weight training (upper body, lower body, abs)

Fri 7/15 – 3.10 mile run, 0.40 mile cool down walk

Sat 7/16 – Rest day

Sun 7/17 – 3.15 mile run, 0.19 mile cool down walk

Total Weekly Mileage – 17.55 miles (8.99 miles less than week 2)

Total RnRPhilly Mileage – 58.97 miles

QOTD: How hot and humid has it been where you live?

I’m linking up with Holly from HoHo Runs and Tricia from MissSippiPiddlin for the Weekly Wrap link up.  Be sure to check out their posts as well.

WeeklyWrap

This entry was posted in RnR Philly Half Marathon Training, Training and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

44 Responses to Rock ‘n’ Roll Philadelphia Half Marathon Training Log – Week 3

1. You are doing great in spite of the heat! It’s supposed to be 97 later this week, which is ridiculous for Chicago. I guess I should be grateful for the hidden blessing of not being able to run, right?

Ugh, the heat and humidity has been crazy. I had hoped it would be better this week but it doesn’t seem like it.

3. Ana says:

In PA the heat and humidity have been holding steady for July… but in 4 months i’ll be complaining about the cold… so trying to bask in the glory of this heat!

4. AP World History was one of my favorite classes in high school, so it sounds like a good opportunity to shape the curriculum and allow students flexibility.

I know I should get up early and get my run done, but I don’t think I’m a morning person. I’m an early bird for work, but not a morning person. I tried working out in the mornings before and it didn’t become a habit.

6. carmyy says:

I cannot WAIT for the heat wave to be over but it looks like it’s just getting started.

7. laurenweiner says:

The heat has been stupid crazy. You may not have met all your goals, but I think you did valiantly!

8. I have had such a hard time running the past 2 weeks or so. The humidity is killing me!!

9. I’ve been able to work from home one day a week for the past few weeks and it makes such a difference! I am so much more productive, and I don’t mind going to work so much the other days because I know I’ll be home on Friday.

10. Ivanna says:

Great training week! I can not work out in the heat, at least not efficiently good job!

11. I agree, it can be a challenge to get up and running before the heat sets in.

12. We’re looking at high 90’s this week, and its straight up humid so I feel your pain. I am so thankful actually to NOT be training for anything this summer. It’s brutal out there!

13. SO hot and humid. humidity near 100% every morning and heat index around 105-110. It’s awful! I’m ready for fall!

14. Another awesome week for you! I have technically completed my Guitar Solo, but I want a better time, so I have to really haul butt on Wednesday for it LOL!

I can’t even talk on the heat and humidity. It’s like running and working out in soup. Temps have been in the high 90s, heat index higher than that and humidity is near 100%. Yuck. But, we keep pushing through and things will be better in fall. Or something.

15. UGH THE HUMIDITY. And yes, I was yelling. LOL. So rough!

16. MB Jackson says:

You can bet we are melting here in central Florida- the temps are crazy! I struggle with the strength training too- it always seems to take the back burner! I hope we both get it done this week!

17. We had a bit of a break from the heat last week, but it came back with a vengeance this weekend (while I was away for my ultra and family reunion LOL). UGH. Thankfully, it’s a recovery week for me, so I won’t be affected too much #glasshalffull

This heat is nuts and needs to go! Great job with weeken with your running…and yay for completing the first race in the virtual series!!

19. Janelle @ Run With No Regrets says:

The heat and humidity have really been brutal in Philly too. Running in the morning before work has definitely been a life saver! Great job with your workouts!

20. I would love to be able to work from home. If I ever want my RV dreams to come true I’m going to have to work on getting income coming in where I can do it remotely!
    I thought about this RnR virtual run but I have just dropped the ball on it! 😦 It is an awesome medal for sure!

21. HoHo Runs says:

That RnR series looked very cool but I have my hands full with Level Up right now. I completely skipped my strength last week because the exercises I do for my hips and glutes sometimes bother my groin. I certainly didn’t want that for my Tri. Why is it always something? The humidity is highest at sunrise…just when I’m out running. But you know, in about 8 shorts weeks we’ll get a break in the stinking Dew Point. Something to look forward to! Thanks for linking, Kathryn.

22. Great workouts! I am also a runner and i think that they are helpful for you. I often perform workouts to improve my achievement. ^^ So good! I like your sharing!