Rock ‘n’ Roll Philadelphia Half Marathon Training Log – Week 2

There’s only one word that effectively summarizes my second week of RnRPhilly training: productive.  I was quite active, only taking one complete rest day.  Even though little man and I spent the week in Illinois visiting my parents, I took advantage of the extra help to watch little man and was quite active, not only getting in my three planned runs but I also made it to the gym twice.  Now that we’re back home and I am back to work part time for the next three weeks, I only hope that I can keep up the level of activity that I had last week.

Feeling great after my first run of the week

Feeling great after my first run of the week

We flew back home on Saturday, with my mom since she’ll be taking care of little man while I’m working for the rest of the month, and although little man didn’t sleep on our short flight into Chicago, he slept the entire flight from Chicago into DC.  I couldn’t be more proud of him for how well he did on Saturday, and hopefully flying with him will go just as smoothly next month when we fly to Orlando for our Disney vacation.

While in Illinois, I thoroughly enjoyed my speedy runs.  Central Illinois is quite flat, which allowed me to push my pace a bit.

Not only was my Thursday night run speedy, but I was quite consistent with my pace too

I ended the week last night with my second long run of this training cycle.  I ran on one of my usual hilly routes here at home, where I was reminded of the elevation difference between here and Illinois.  Despite how hot it was (our schedule yesterday didn’t allow for me to run in the morning), as well as how hilly the route was, I was quite proud of my average pace.  If only I could maintain this pace for an entire 13.1 miles!  During my run, I was reminded of one of the many reasons that I love running in the DC area.  I love being able to run past important places in history, last night being the First Battle of Manassas.

6.50 mile run

Historical markers are a great distraction from how hilly some of the area where we live is

All in all, it was a great week in Illinois, both on the fitness front as well as with the family.

Mon 7/4 – 3.76 mile run, 0.40 mile cool down walk, 15 minutes of strength training (lower body, abs)

Tues 7/5 – 3.96 mile walk, 30 minutes on the elliptical, 30 minutes of weight training (upper body, lower body, abs)

Wed 7/6 – 2.25 mile walk

Thurs 7/7 – 3.10 mile run, 0.30 mile cool down walk

Fri 7/8 – 30 minutes on the elliptical, 20 minutes of weight training (lower body, abs)

Sat 7/9 – Rest/travel day

Sun 7/10 – 6.50 mile run, 1.28 mile cool down walk

Total Weekly Mileage – 26.54 miles (11.66 miles more than week 1)

Total RnRPhilly Mileage – 41.42 miles

QOTD: What was the fitness highlight of your week?

I’m linking up with Holly from HoHo Runs and Tricia from MissSippiPiddlin for the Weekly Wrap link up.  Be sure to check out their posts as well.

WeeklyWrap

This entry was posted in RnR Philly Half Marathon Training, Training and tagged , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

53 Responses to Rock ‘n’ Roll Philadelphia Half Marathon Training Log – Week 2

1. I’m impressed by how much weight training you got on this past week! That is something that I am trying to improve upon during this training cycle. Great job!

2. It is so fantastic when you can be productive and get in your training while traveling! Great job! We had 100+ degree temps here this week, and my two kids were having NOTHING to do with it, so my training kind of fizzled this week. That’s summer in the South for you! On to the next week 😉

3. Christine says:

It sounds like you had a good week of workouts and some good strength training! Oh, how I miss hills! I live in the flatlands of the Lowcountry in Charleston, SC but used to live in PA and then in Charlotte, NC. I miss having hills to train on. They really do make you a better runner overall.

I wish my conference in DC wasn’t in August so I could enjoy running past the historic sites and enjoy the run. I’m packing workout gear, but have to stick to the hotel’s fitness room.

5. GREAT job last week!! My workouts weren’t the greatest last week, but I am looking forward to getting back on track this week!

6. I love running when I’m on vacation. It’s a great way to see the area.

7. Julie Harris says:

It’s always so nice having help to get extra miles in.

I agree, I love running past historical sites in this area! Sounds like you had a great week 🙂 Fitness highlight for my week was probably a yoga class. There’s something really cool about doing yoga outdoors.

9. Running past the historical markers is something I really enjoy as well, I loved running in London last summer and whenever I’m in a new place where I get to see that.

10. Congrats on your speedy run! Why do you have to work part time in the summer?

Hey, I thought about you the other week as I was driving up route 15 and saw signs for Manassas. I wanted to ask you, how far from route 15 do you live? -M

• I’m working on a curriculum project – designing an online AP World History course for our school district. Thankfully most of my work can be done from home this summer, so there aren’t too many days that I’ll have to be away from little man.

We’re about 30 or so minutes of east of 15.

11. Elle says:

What a great week! And how nice to have some time with your Mom too. Glad to hear baby did well and that it is going smoothly for you. I always enjoy your big smiles!

12. Running in Illinois is great! SO flat and pretty. Way to go!

13. Ana says:

Looks like a great week of training! back to work already?

14. Definitely helps to have an extra hand to watch him so you can have some me time!

Awesome week, Kathryn! I love that you have historical sights to see while running – that really is a great distraction!

16. Great job getting it all in while on vacation!!!

17. Awesome job getting your runs in while out of town. I’m terrible at finding time to run when I’m on vacation.

18. I’m sure last week gave you a much-deserved ego-boost 😉 Great job! I’d love a vacation away (by myself) and the flexibility to run whenever (or wherever) without the mom guilt (yes, my kids are much older than your little guy, and I still have episodes of mom guilt) 😉

19. I’m so impressed that you kept up your training so well when you were traveling. Though I do love running through a new city to explore.

20. It had to be nice to have that extra pair of hands! Great week of training!

21. hanzelboyzmama says:

Great week 2 of marathon training. And how stress-free knowing you could run and not worry about your little man!! I run at 4;45 am so that I can be home for my boys before they get up. 🙂

• I wish I could be more consistent about early morning runs but since I get up at 4:45 during the school year in order to get to work on time its difficult for me to be consistent about early morning runs during summer break.

22. This was a great week for you even with travel plans! I’m getting in more and more strength training too. I sure hope all of this helps me come this fall. Thank you Kathryn for linking up with us!

23. It’s so nice to have your mom to help you! I know that I can always get so much more done when my parents are around to help. I bet you loved getting to run in Illinois – it’s so nice to try something new and be in a new place. Unfortunately, Florida is about as flat as you get, so I am always just grateful for places that are equally flat, cooler and with lower humidity.

Keep it up!

This week, my favorite was SUP yoga.

24. While I have no desire to leave Utah. I always say if I ever had to live back east the best part would be getting to run and hike on all the historic trails. I love history and if I had to leave my mountains, you’d bet I’d hit up all your historic trails.
    Productive and Travel, rarely two words you hear together, so that is awesome!!! Very cool you’ve got your mom coming to watch your cute lil guy and help out, maybe that will help keep you continuing on a very productive training plan!

25. You are doing great! I can’t wait for fall when I can start running faster again. The summer speeds I run have been depressing me haha

26. HoHo Runs says:

That is SUCH a consistent pace you ran! I’m glad you enjoyed your runs and visit in Central Illinois. Hopefully, having your Mom with your these next few weeks will allow you to have more extra productive weeks. It’s great that little man is a good traveler. And, how exciting to be taking him to Disney for the first time. Thanks for linking, Kathryn!

27. Pingback: Rock ‘n’ Roll Philadelphia Half Marathon Training Log – Week 3 | From Dancing to Running