Weekly Recap – Week of June 13th

Another week has come and gone, and another week has not gone as planned.  Despite it being a busy week, which included a late night due to graduation for the school that I teach at, the week actually went really well on the fitness front until the very end of the week, when I started experiencing severe lower back pain early Saturday morning.  The pain was bad enough to the point that I couldn’t safely carry little man around for part of the day until I got the pain under control.  And even then, I still faced significant difficulty in taking care of him.  Needless to say, my planned run for the weekend did not happen.

Earlier in the week, I was fairly active.  On Monday, I went for my first run since ZOOMA Annapolis on June 4th.  Tuesday included a long walk with little man after school.  And on Thursday I spent time at the gym both on the elliptical and lifting weights.  I’m very happy with the three workouts I did manage to get in last week.

It felt great to get out and run for the first time in 9 days.

It felt great to get out and run on Monday for the first time in 9 days.

Thankfully, my back pain didn’t interfere with being able to celebrate Preston’s first Father’s Day.  Little man and I planned a few surprises for Preston, including dressing him in an adorable onesie in honor of Preston’s special day.

father's day

After two straight days of back pain, I’m thankful to be headed to the chiropractor this afternoon.  Hopefully he’ll be able to help figure out what I did to my back (it all of a sudden started hurting when I went to go open a drawer in the kitchen – very odd I know!), as well as to be able to help provide me with some relief.

Mon 6/13 – 3.10 mile run, 0.36 mile cool down walk

Tues 6/14 – 2.08 mile walk

Wed 6/15 – Rest day

Thurs 6/16 – 30 minutes on the elliptical, 35 minutes of weight training (upper body, lower body, abs)

Fri 6/17 – Rest day

Sat 6/18 – Rest day

Sun 6/19 – Rest day

Total Weekly Mileage – 8.05 miles

QOTD: When did you last deal with unexplained pain?

I’m linking up with Holly from HoHo Runs and Tricia from MissSippiPiddlin for the Weekly Wrap link up.  Be sure to check out their posts as well.

WeeklyWrap

This entry was posted in Training and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

61 Responses to Weekly Recap – Week of June 13th

1. Coco says:

Ugh! I hate when pain comes out of nowhere. Back pain seems to do that. Hope the chiro can fix it!

It’s amazing how easy it is to wrench something, and have no idea how. I hope your chiro can fix the problem.

3. Janelle @ Run With No Regrets says:

Sorry to hear about your back, I hope you recover soon! When my calves started bothering me I rested and stretched as much as possible before really getting into running again. And your little guy is getting so big! Happy Father’s Day to your hubby!

4. I hope you guys got to enjoy Preston’s first father’s day. His shirt is so cute. He is getting so big….Adorable! Glad to hear you got into the chiropracticor. Hopefully you’ll leave there feeling better:)

5. Hope all is ok with your back – it’s good that you’re getting it checked out. Here’s to a speedy recovery!

6. Yikes, I hope you get some relief with that back pain. Hope Preston had a great first Father’s Day!

7. Carmy says:

Hoping you feel better soon!

8. Oh no! I hope whatever is going on with your back isn’t serious and can heal up quickly!

9. oh no to the back pain! I had something similar when my son was little from carrying around that car seat. Hope you are feeling better

10. Ana says:

Happy Father’s day to Preston!

Ouch on the back pain, I hope you get it taken care of and you feel better soon!

11. Stephanie says:

There is nothing more frustrating than back pain, hopefully your chiropractor gets you adjusted and feeling better!

12. Oh, man. I hope you get some answers as to what’s going on in your back. That sounds awful 😦

13. Oh no! I hope you figure you what’s causing your back pain and get rid of it! I have on and off back pain a lot, especially when I get up in the morning. I think it’s probably from getting older after many years of running long. After a couple hours it usually feels pretty good. Good luck finding some relief!

14. I had unexplained back pain a month ago or so…..I just woke up one morning and could hardly pull myself out of bed.Thankfully, it got better after being up & moving for an hour or so, and was pretty much gone after a few days…but YUCK. Hope you’re feeling better soon!

15. The pain I’ve been dealing with lately isn’t unexplained — it’s from a recent fall. I’m nearly back to normal now, though. I hate when an injury or illness gets me off my schedule. That’s so frustrating. I hope your back feels better very soon!

Preston is adorable — what a beautiful, happy smile!

16. Ange says:

I’m so sorry to hear about your back! I also suffer from periodic back pain and know how awful it can be.

17. Oh no- bummer on the back pain!! I hope you’re back to 100% soon.

18. That is odd! Hope you are feeling better!

19. I hope your back feels better soon!

20. Hope you can get your back pain fixed quickly. Mine always comes seemingly out of nowhere when I’m doing something totally mundane. Luckily mine usually goes away quickly if I do some stretches for it.

21. Oh gosh, I hope you get the answer to your back pain. Seems like it always comes around to the core…

Back pain is no joke but it probably wasn’t the kitchen drawer that was the culprit! Hopefully the Chiropractor gets you back on track.

23. Hope your chiro was able to adjust you back into place 🙂 Feel better!

Oh no! I sure hope the chiro was able to help! Feel better soon!

25. So sorry about your back, I hope the chiropractor helps! I have been plagued with back issues for as long as I can remember so I do have experienced that uneplained back pain.

26. omg your son is so cute!! hopefully you figure out the back issues asap. I don’t have much unexpected pain other than my recurring shin pain which really hampers my trainign sometimes.

27. i have been having this weird thing in my shoulder when i run-but only from running. i have tweaked my neck and back similar to you-just doing something normal and BAM random pain

28. I have SI joint pain that happens when I take a step sometimes. It’s horrible and I’m actually heading back to PT for it this week. Hope it sorts itself out.

29. HoHo Runs says:

Oh, no! I hate when random pains just hit you out of the blue! I hope you’ve already found some relief. I had a random groin pain recently but finally figured out it was from slipping in the mud (not falling but doing a split) in the parking lot of a plant nursery. You never know what is going to cause problems. Little Man is so cute in his Father’s Day attire. He is growing so fast too! Thanks for linking with us Kathryn!

30. Any pain is tough to deal with! My last noticeable pain was in my heel 3 days before a half. I don’t know what brought it on nor exactly what it was. I laid off running and much of anything cause it hurt and iced the crap out of it. I swear I think I could have done nerve damage with so much icing. BUT it worked and I was able to race. The nagging pain is still there only a little bit so idk what it is! 🙂

31. Pingback: Weekly Recap – Week of June 20th | From Dancing to Running