Weekly Training Log – Week of June 6th

If you follow me on Instagram then you already got a preview of this past week, which was quite busy and stressful.  Preston was out of town for work last week, and although my father-in-law was here to help me with little man, little man didn’t sleep well last week since he was sick with a cold for most of the week.  Thursday night/Friday morning was especially rough, and a trip to the pediatrician Friday afternoon revealed that he had a double ear infection.  Thankfully after about 24 hours of antibiotics little man was in much less pain and smiling again.  However, the icing on the cake was that by Thursday night I also started getting sick, and I spent Friday and Saturday battling a cold.

happy little man

Seeing little man smiling again Saturday afternoon definitely helped make me feel better!

Given that my week was completely turned upside down last week, the first thing to go to the back burner was working out.  I’m thankful for the couple of workouts that I did fit into my schedule, and am especially thankful that since it was my first week after ZOOMA Annapolis (which I know that I still need to recap), I had planned to take the week easy.  I had hoped to run once, but it just didn’t happen.

Mon 6/6 – Rest day

Tues 6/7 – 30 minutes on the elliptical, 20 minutes of weight training (upper body, lower body, abs)

Wed 6/8 – Rest day

Thurs 6/9 – 30 minutes on the elliptical, 30 minutes of weight training (upper body, lower body, abs)

Fri 6/10 – 2.42 mile walk

Sat 6/11 – Rest day

Sun 6/12 – Rest day

Total Weekly Mileage – 7.34 miles

Hopefully this coming week I can be a bit more active, but as little man continues to recover all I can do is take things one day at a time.  I plan to take at least one more week off from training before I resume running three days a week in preparation for Rock ‘n’ Roll Virginia Beach.

QOTD: How many weeks do you take off from running and/or training after a major race?

I’m linking up with Holly from HoHo Runs and Tricia from MissSippiPiddlin for the Weekly Wrap link up.  Be sure to check out their posts as well.

WeeklyWrap

This entry was posted in Training and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

52 Responses to Weekly Training Log – Week of June 6th

1. Ha, I took several months off after my marathon but in my defense it WAS winter and I didn’t have any upcoming races but a small one in the spring. I just needed that time off since marathon training was exhausting!
    Life happens and and we just need to adjust! It’s not like we are training for the Olympics or anything so at least if you have a good base down and you know that you’ve done enough to get through a race uninjured, that should be enough (provided you have no intentions of earning extreme PR’s or anything).

Oh my goodness he is SO cute! I’m sorry that both of you weren’t feeling well but I am glad to hear he’s on the mend! I hope you start to feel better soon, too! 🙂 Have a great week!

3. Poor guy! He’s so little to have his first ear infection! I hope he’s feeling better.

4. Janelle @ Run With No Regrets says:

Aw, sorry to hear that the little one was sick. Hope he is recovering well and that you are too! It may not have been a bad thing to cut back on the running after your race. I didn’t run much last week either, and it was probably for the best.

Poor baby 😦 I’m glad to hear he’s feeling better and I hope you’re back to 100% soon too.

6. Hope he feels much better ASAP!

My mom can sympathize. I had ear infections almost every other week and ended up getting tubes put in. At least it was a down week after your race instead of the week before the race. He looks so happy in those pictures.

8. Your baby is just too cute for words! Glad he is feeling better. Hope you have an amazing summer!

9. Ana says:

Oh no!! Double ear infections are awful! I remember when my little love nugget had those! I hope your little one is feeling better soon! Poor baby!

You still had a great work out week! and after last week PR, it was a very well deserved rest for you!

10. MB Jackson says:

Cute pics of your little man! I hope both of you are feeling better! A nice easy week sounds like just want you needed!

11. Awe no – ear infections are the worst! I hope both you and little man are feeling better this week!

12. Your little man is precious as can be!!! Hope you both are on the mend today. Have a great week! 🙂

13. I know that I never take off as much as I need to after a race and I can always feel it. Our bodies do need to recover. He is just so adorbs hope he is feeling better

14. Elle says:

Gosh he is so sweet! I hope you are both feeling way better very soon!

15. Carmy says:

I’m in LOVE with your kiddo. His smile is just so adorable.

16. Awww poor baby and mommy. I am glad he is feeling better. Ear infections are the worse ;(
    I hope you are feeling a bit better also.

i usually take a full week off after a big race. I will still get steps in and such but nothing too rigorous.

Love his smile 🙂

17. Sometimes life actually helps us take the recovery time we need. 🙂 Glad your boy is feeling better. He’s getting so big!

18. Time off after a big race is a good thing…although I know that’s not how you planned it. I have read that anywhere from 2 weeks-4 weeks off is a good rule of thumb for after a half marathon or marathon. It seems like people do very different things based on what works for them. Hope you have a better week!

19. Oh my goodness, that face! He is too cute!

20. I hate little man was sick…and then you too! Rest is what you needed! Hope everyone is better now!

21. marstaples says:

I’m embarrassed to say that I’ve taken over a week off since my last race. Life has caught up to me since I spent so much training beforehand, and now it will be yet another week before I get back into it. I feel your struggle.

22. Awww 😉 I’m glad you and the little man are both doing better. I used to take an entire week off after a big race (which typically would be a half marathon). Since I’ve done a lot more of them in recent years (and have been staying in “13.1 race-ready” condition for the most part, I don’t take much time off anymore (but I do scale back and take things easy). That said, I did take most of last week “off” so my heel could recover in prep for this past weekend’s half marathon.

23. natrunsfar says:

So sorry you both have been sick! I hope you are feeling better and Little Man is on the mend.
    Good for you for taking the time to rest after the race. So fun that you are running RnR Virginia Beach!

24. Melissa says:

My workouts go out the window when Ellie is sick too. And honestly I just don’t care because she’s more important. Amazing how a ballet dancer can give up the obsession, at least temporarily. 🙂

25. HoHo Runs says:

I hope you and the little man are already feeling much better. He is such a doll in those pictures. When my kids were little, somebody else would always pick up a sickness at the pediatrician’s office. But, you’ve got to go! You were due for a rest week after your great performance at Zooma! I think (for whatever reason) we are all afraid of resting. Why is that? Thanks for linking with us Kathryn.

26. Your little man is precious! I hope both of you are feeling better! I always take a rest week after a tough half or a full. You deserved a break after your race!