ZOOMA Annapolis Half Marathon Training Log – Week 17

I know that I usually post my weekly training logs on Mondays, but with a three day weekend and yesterday being Memorial Day, I decided to take the day off from blogging in favor of spending more time with family and friends.  With ZOOMA Annapolis being only five days away, I’m more than thankful for the extra time to relax and decompress this past weekend.  With a busy week last week and another busy week coming up, we spent the weekend working on chores as well as a couple of minor house repairs.  Yesterday we also enjoyed hosting a couple of friends for a Memorial Day BBQ after spending the morning at the Ringing in Hope 10k, where we got to honor those who sacrificed their lives for us to be able to live in the land of the free.

Our little family during yesterday's BBQ with friends

Our little family during yesterday’s BBQ with friends

After running my 14 miler on the treadmill last Sunday, I took the first couple of days of this past week extra easy to allow myself to recover a bit from the run.  My legs still felt the effects of the run Wednesday evening when I headed out for a run.  Thankfully by Thursday when I headed to the gym for my second run of the week my legs were a bit looser and my run on the treadmill wasn’t as trying as my run outside the day prior had been.

Since I ran the Ringing in Hope 10k yesterday, I decided on Saturday to just run 4 miles.  I didn’t want to overdo it since my overall goal with yesterday’s race was to PR and gain a new proof of time for November’s Wine and Dine Half Marathon.

Celebrating being only one week out from ZOOMA Annapolis after Saturday's 4 miler

Celebrating being only one week out from ZOOMA Annapolis after Saturday’s 4 miler

However, Saturday afternoon I faced a potential setback – I lost my left big toenail while we were out at a winery.  I’ve lost this toenail a couple of times previously, and my toenail had been loose for several days already.  However, a run in with a door in the women’s bathroom, thanks to another girl who wasn’t paying attention, resulted in the entire nail coming off, down to the nail bed.  I’ll spare the rather gross details of how it looks, but let’s just say it was infected and is rather tender and painful.  With ZOOMA Annapolis this coming Saturday, I’m glad that I was able to do a test run with my hurting toe yesterday morning.  It looks like wrapping it tightly in gauze was enough to spare me the pain of putting my running shoe on, since if you follow me on social media then you know I did in fact PR at yesterday morning’s race.

This coming week will be able taking things easy.  I’m still putting together what I want my specific time goal to be on Saturday.  In the mean time, I plan to go for one, maybe two, easy runs this week, in addition to also going for a couple of walks with little man.

Mon 5/23 – Rest day

Tues 5/24 – 2.22 mile walk

Wed 5/25 – 3.50 mile run, 0.51 mile cool down walk, 30 minutes of strength training (upper body, abs)

Thurs 5/26 – 3.10 mile run on the treadmill, 0.46 mile cool down walk, 30 minutes of weight training (upper body, lower body, abs)

Fri 5/27 – Rest day

Sat 5/28 – 4.02 mile run, 0.59 mile cool down walk

Sun 5/29 – Rest day

Total Weekly Mileage – 14.40 miles (6.83 miles less than week 16)

Total ZOOMA Mileage – 277.53 miles

QOTD: What did you do over the long Memorial Day weekend?

I’m linking up with Holly from HoHo Runs and Tricia from MissSippiPiddlin for the Weekly Wrap link up.  Be sure to check out their posts as well.

WeeklyWrap

This entry was posted in Training, ZOOMA Annapolis Half Marathon Training and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

33 Responses to ZOOMA Annapolis Half Marathon Training Log – Week 17

1. Ouch to the toenail! I’m going to put on my medical provider hat and assume you are soaking it a couple times/day? And leaving it open to air most of the day? I sure hope it feels better soon.

And thanks for not posting pictures…no need for that.. :p

Wow, that’s weird that you keep losing the same big toenail. After I sized up my running shoes, my toenails seem to stay intact, but not always pretty! Congrats on your PR at your 10k. It’s always nice to move up corrals for the Disney races! 🙂

Ouch! At least the gauze worked for you yesterday. I’ve only lost one toenail, and it was the “ring” toenail on my right foot. I hope the gauze works out again for you this weekend. Great job on the PR!

4. Congrats on the PR, and sorry about your toe! I’ve lost a few toenails, also…and always the same one. That’s great picture of you guys, BTW!

5. Congrats on the PR yesterday! I’ve had that toenail thing happen too but has never been painful.

6. Ana says:

Ouchies on the toe nail! that sounds awfully painful!! Congratulations on your PR!! I hope it heals quickly!

I’m very excited for your Half Marathon!!

7. Congratulations on your PR, and I am sorry about that toenail! As a former ballerina, now runner, I literally empathize with that kind of pain, and fingers crossed for a speedy recovery 🙂

8. OUCH on the toe nail! I hope it grows back soon.

9. Janelle @ Run With No Regrets says:

Darn it, sorry to hear about your toe! Ouch! Congratulations again on your PR, it’s been so exciting to see how well you’ve been doing. I’ll be sending you good vibes for ZOOMA on Saturday, I know you’ll do great!

10. Elle says:

Really sorry aboutyour infected toe. Hope you will be able to look after it so that it heals up for the weekend. Cheers to a PR this past weekend!

11. Good for you for tackling 14 miles on the treadmill!
    oof. Your poor toenail! Fingers crossed it cooperates for your race this weekend.

12. oh my gosh, ouch. I’ve never lost a toenail so cannot even imagine. Though I’ve had many a run in with a door! oof. Congrats on your PR and good luck coming your way for the ZOOMA half!

13. OMG I’m cringing at the thought of this! I know that it happens, but it sounds terrifying to lose your toenail. Glad you were able to work through it!

14. loosing a toe nail is painful! i was actually just checking all of mine today as I have a half on sunday and dont want any issues. and i love that you got a PR too: congrats!

15. HoHo Runs says:

Ouch! That toe sounds painful. Congratulations on your 10k PR! I hope you have a nice relaxing taper week and a wonderful half marathon. You’ve worked so hard and now it’s time to just enjoy that race. It’s the icing on the cake. Thanks for linking with us Kathryn.

16. This week has a lot of us messed up on the days. Had I not had my post read prior I would be in the same boat. Playing catch up isn’t fun either sometimes. But I’m plugging along.
    OH no on your toenail that does sound so painful! But hey you did have a great race and a PR! That is awesome Kathrine!

17. Congrats on your 10k PR! Sorry about your toenail. I always lose a toenail when I up my mileage during marathon training despite going up a half size in shoes. I’ve never lost my big toenail though. That sounds painful. Good luck with your half this weekend!