ZOOMA Annapolis Half Marathon Training Log – Week 14

The theme of most of this past week: rainy, cloudy, and dreary.  Much like last week, it was difficult to get outside much to exercise because the weather just wasn’t cooperative.  There were several days where I intended to come home from work and take little man for a walk while Preston eitherwent to the gym or was stuck in traffic coming home from work.  A couple of evenings involved thunderstorm warnings, and while I might be crazy enough to brave the weather, I don’t want to risk little man’s health and safety by taking him out in the rain.  Although I didn’t get in as much cross training as I would have liked (I’m trying to up my cross training and strength training this month), all I can ask of myself is that I’m doing the best I can.  Nobody can control the weather.

By Saturday, we finally had gorgeous weather.  It was still overcast Saturday morning, and since I was longing to see the sun I delayed my 12 mile run til the afternoon.  I was so happy that I delayed it, because although it was warmer by the afternoon, being outside running for over two hours was definitely more enjoyable by being able to enjoy sunny skies while I ran.  As for how my run went, I felt very strong during the first 8 miles, and was able to maintain a sub 11:00 min/mile pace.  But then I approached the steepest hill of Saturday’s route, the hill got the best of me.  I had to do a little bit of extra walking after getting up the hill, which slowed me down, and I never quite recovered from it.  I also had to make a pit stop inside of one of our local grocery stores around mile 10, and although my Garmin initially auto paused while I was inside, it auto resumed and I didn’t realize it until a couple of minutes had passed by.  Once I got back outside my pace remained slow, and I was never able to fully recover from stopping.  But I finished all 12 miles at an average pace of 11:06, so I can’t be too disappointed in how my run went.

Since I felt great for two thirds of Saturday's long run I couldn't help but smile when I finished it

Since I felt great for two thirds of Saturday’s long run I couldn’t help but smile when I finished it

On Sunday, we took full advantage of the gorgeous weather.  After church and Mother’s Day lunch, we took both our dog Riley and little man for an almost hour long walk around the neighborhood.  The walk resulted in a very tired doggie and a nice long nap during our walk for little man.  And Preston and I got to enjoy the beautiful weather after being cooped up inside for most of the week.  It was a win-win situation for all four of us.

After Mother's Day lunch, which we enjoyed at a local Mediterranean restaurant

After Mother’s Day lunch, which we enjoyed at a local Mediterranean restaurant

There is more rain in the forecast for this coming week, so all I can hope for is the best when it comes to the weather.  We’ll see how the weather pans out and what I’m able to accomplish.  Its also going to be another busy week (little man and I each have a doctor’s appointment, plus my AP World students take the AP exam Thursday morning), so all I can do is have high goals and do my best in terms of achieving them.

Mon 5/2 – 20 minutes of strength training (lower body and abs)

Tues 5/3 – 3.55 mile run, 0.36 mile cool down walk

Wed 5/4 – Rest day

Thurs 5/5 – 3.10 mile run on the treadmill, 0.40 mile cool down walk, 30 minutes of weight training (lower body and abs)

Fri 5/6 – Rest day

Sat 5/7 – 12.00 mile run, 0.45 mile cool down walk

Sun 5/8 – 3.43 mile walk

Total Weekly Mileage – 23.29 miles (12.89 miles more than week 13)

Total ZOOMA Mileage – 228.05 miles

With four weeks of training left, will I be able to hit my first 300 mile half marathon training cycle ever?!?  I only have one more double digit long run planned between now and ZOOMA Annapolis in four weeks, so only time will tell!

QOTD: How do you work around unfavorable weather?

I’m linking up with Holly from HoHo Runs and Tricia from MissSippiPiddlin for the Weekly Wrap link up.  Be sure to check out their posts as well.

WeeklyWrap

This entry was posted in Training, ZOOMA Annapolis Half Marathon Training and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

46 Responses to ZOOMA Annapolis Half Marathon Training Log – Week 14

1. Nice work on that 12 miler! And happy Mother’s Day! What a sweet way to celebrate your first Mama’s day.

2. You’re doing great girl!!!

3. Christine @ Two Runners Travel says:

Nice work knocking out your long run. I have made a pit stop in a local drugstore and our Starbucks on many occasions. Happy Mothers Day!

4. That’s an awesome training week! Good job on the long run!

5. Happy first Mother’s Day to you!! Great job with the long run!

6. Elle says:

That is such a beautiful picture of your family! Glad that you had such a great week!

7. Wow already back to 12 mile runs!? I am so over all of this rain already

8. Our weeks are alternating gorgeous and dreary, and we’re back to a dreary week this week, though it’ll hopefully be good for the massive wildfire that’s happening.

9. carmyy says:

I totally think you’ll hit your 300 miles!

10. Ana says:

Awesome 12 miles!! I hope you had a wonderful Mother’s day!

You are absolutely ready for the Half Marathon!

Depending on the training day.. we have done short runs. But I struggle with running in the rain.

11. Even with a pit stop, 12 miles is still 12 (flippin’) miles! That’s great!!!! You are staying so consistent with cross-training, too. The weather is such a game-changer and (often times) a deal-breaker. I try to keep my running flexible, and I usually only run 3 times a week at most (plus a long weekend run, if I’m in training). Not “having” to run daily gives me flexibility, so I can (usually) switch my running days around to avoid the rain. Usually. 😉

I use the treadmill a lot when the weather is bad, either with rain or hot Texas summers. As long as I can get my cardio or strength training done, I feel good, even if I am stuck inside.

13. The weather sidelined me this week, and I was pretty annoyed by it. I prefer outdoor workouts, so once I’m shut out by thunder and lightning, I’m kind of at a loss.

You’re totally going to hit those 300 miles. And you’re going to own them.

14. Coco says:

There’s only so much rain I can stand! I’ve been glad to have fun indoor workouts like spinning and Orange Theory Fitness to try out.

15. I first read that as your first 300 mile month and I was all “holy cow!” LOL
    I’m so over this rainy weather. I’ve run more runs on my treadmill than any person should ever do. Hopefully we’ll actually have some spring before summer comes.

16. I hope you enjoyed your first Mother’s Day! Such a special day with a new little one. Nice job with getting in those long miles! You are doing such an awesome job getting back in your running groove!

17. Sorry your weather hasn’t been ideal. I have to say that I love thunderstorms an can’t wait to have one this summer (I’m weird I know). I have a treadmill at home but I still prefer to be outside so if it was stormy when I was suppose to go on a planned run I’d be bummed out too!

Glad you got some great weather an family time this weekend. I hope you had a great first mother’s day Kathryn!

18. Great job on your 12 miler!!!
    Your weather sounds like ours. We’ve had crappy weather the past 3 weeks, just a rain and snow mix of stuff. But I am looking forward to later this week, the weather is predicting a possible 80 degree day, oh that’s going to feel nice, LOL
    Hope you can keep getting some nice weather!
    Sometimes running in crummy weather can be fun too, I don’t mind it. I better not, or I wouldn’t have gotten a run in in the past month, LOL I just tell myself it’s going to be fun. It usually works, unless its wet and windy, oh I dislike wet cold heavy winds in the spring, LOL!

I think you’ll reach 300 miles! Great job on getting your workouts in despite the circumstances! Glad you had a good Mother’s Day! 🙂

Great job on the long run and dealing with the rainy weather we’ve been having! That’s great that it cleared up for Mother’s Day so you could have a nice family walk 🙂

21. Unless it’s dangerous (lots of lightning, etc.), I’ll generally run. If it’s pouring buckets, I try to avoid it and generally, I’ve been able to do so. But I have run in all sorts of weather conditions – even though I’d prefer cloudy and 60 for each run (and then sunny and 75 after the run :)).

22. Are yall like doing rain dances up there? lol Great job on your runs this week Kathryn and I’m glad you had a great 1st Mother’s day!

23. HoHo Runs says:

Happy first Mother’s Day Kathryn! Your little man is stylin’ in that shirt. I’m glad you were able to get out in the sunshine for your 12 miler. I think you’ll hit your 300 mile goal! I also think you’ll have a great half marathon. You’ve been doing so well with your training and the 5k paces too, after all. I hope your weather is cooperating this week. Thanks for linking with us!