May 2016 Monthly Goals

April went far from how I had hoped it would go.  My fitness was heavily impacted after getting sick twice last month, first with a nasty cold in the middle of the month and then with the stomach flu last week.  Then of course I faced the obstacle that many working mothers face – trying to balance the demands at work of being a full time teacher as well as the demands at home as a mother and a wife.  I certainly did the best that I could to work towards my monthly goals despite the obstacles that came my way last month.

apr 2016 goals

1.  Run, walk, and elliptical at least 85 miles.

Grade: B-

My total miles for the month of April came to 69.1, which is 15.8 miles less than I logged in March.  I knew that pushing myself to another 85 mile month would be difficult, especially with returning to work at the end of March.  Being sick twice and out of commission for a week certainly didn’t help with my progress either.

2.  Run a sub 31 minute 5k.

Grade: A

Not only did I meet this goal, but I crushed it by running a sub 30 minute 5k at this past Saturday’s Jaguar 5k.  I earned both a new PR and ran my first sub 30 minute 5k ever on Saturday!  I can’t wait to relive the excitement of Saturday’s race when I write my race recap.

Celebrating post race on Saturday with my biggest cheerleader

Celebrating post race on Saturday with my biggest cheerleader

3.  Strength train at least twice a week.

Grade: B

Other than the week that I was sick with a cold, I worked on my strength training at least twice a week.  Most weeks I did strength training exercises at home one day and did weight training at the gym a second day.

4.  Cross train at least once a week.

Grade: B

Again, other than the week that I was sick with a cold I met this goal.  I only used the elliptical once last month, which means the majority of my cross training was walking.

5.  Work on accepting my limits and that I can’t do everything.

Grade: B

As I explained at the beginning of April, I’ve been having a very difficult time accepting this.  There have been several days when I’ve broken down out of frustration by my inability to keep up with everything that I’d like to.  I wish I could work out more than I do, I wish I could keep more on top of my grading at school, and I wish that I could keep the house cleaner than it is.  The reality is that there are only so many hours in a day and only so much that I can do each day.

I'm doing the best that I can to find balance with everything, including taking care of and spending time with my little man

I’m doing the best that I can to find balance with everything, including taking care of and spending time with my little man

Based on how April went, I’m making some adjustments to several of my April goals and revisiting most of them again in May.

may 2016 goals

1.  Run, walk, and elliptical at least 85 miles.

Since I fell short of meeting this goal in April, I want to go after it again this month.  Hopefully I’ll be more successful this month, and won’t get sick twice.

2.  Strength train at least three times a week.

Since I’ve been been working towards this goal for a couple of months now, I want to step up the ante this month and work on increasing the amount of strength training that I do each week.  Even if it’s only for 15-20 minutes a day, I know that the more I focus on this the stronger I’ll become.

3.  Cross train at least twice per week.

Just like with strength training, I want to incorporate more cross training into my routine.  I foresee most of my cross training continuing to be in the form of walks, so hopefully the weather will cooperate and little man and I will be able to take several walks per week after school.

4.  Continue to work on accepting my limits.

This will likely be my hardest goal this month.  I continue to get overwhelmed every now and then by all that I have on my plate and need to do better in finding balance with everything.

QOTD: What are your goals for May?

This entry was posted in Motivation, Training and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

36 Responses to May 2016 Monthly Goals

I think the challenges of motherhood and working full time are probably really difficult at first, but you will find your rhythm. No one will know how clean or picked up your house was in 20 years, but the time you spend with your family or exercising is probably a lot more valuable. Good luck finding the perfect balance and congrats again on the PR

2. I always look at housecleaning as a necessary evil, but in the end, no one sees it but me. It’s much more important to enjoy life than to worry about a little dog fur on the floor. Life is way too short to worry about anything except living it!

3. I think the hardest part about being a mama is not being able to put your needs and wants first! That never stops. A lot of moms just put their needs completely aside and I don’t think that’s healthy either. It’s all about balance, and to me, it’s always a work in progress. You are doing great!

You did great in April considering that you were sick twice! Balance is so hard to find and then it seems like things shift once you find it, but it sounds like you’re on your way there.

5. I can’t wait to hear your race recap, huge congratulations to you!! Being sick is the worst, it really throws everything off but you still did great.

6. Yay for getting that 5K PR. Honestly, i’m afraid to run a timed 5k now because I fear I won’t be able to keep my sub 30 anymore..lol. Can’t wait to hear about the race. Oh, an don’t be so hard on yourself about housework and other stuff. You are doing great mama!

7. I think you did an awesome job in April considering you were sick.
    I definitely don’t achieve all the goals I set for myself on a monthly basis, and that’s okay. I actually like tweaking and continuing to work on them.

8. I think your April turned out pretty well considering you were battling some illness and weren’t at 100%. The little man should be your priority right now 😉 Congrats, again, on that PR! That must have felt incredible!!

9. LOL! You’re such a teacher indeed grading yourself. I think you did fantastic even though you may disagree. I think balancing your work/home life is much more important than missing several miles, especially that you were sick. Keep it up!

How Running Makes Us Happy, But Happiness Makes Us Better Runners: https://candiesandcrunches.com/2016/05/04/how-running-makes-us-happy-but-happiness-makes-us-better-runners/

10. Carmyy says:

I keep telling myself to crosstrain and I keep “forgetting.” I’d be getting a C on that haha

I’m so nervous to return to work because I have a feeling I’ll feel the same about keeping up with everything. I say do what you can do and the rest will work itself out. You’re doing great, Kathryn! I’m inspired by you!! 🙂

12. I love this! You should be so proud. My goal is to have another month of running without injury. That will make me happy beyond measure!

13. I am really impressed how quickly you’ve bounced back and right into running at faster paces already.

14. You’re doing great Mama! It’s hard to find that balance. And you have to realize that you won’t get everything done…but spending time with your little man is more important than the other stuff. Someone once told me that the housework will always be there…but the children won’t be. They grow up way too fast!

15. natrunsfar says:

Congratulations on your PR!! That is really something to smile about! I think that the first year of having a baby is such a time of adjustment. You are trying to get a good amount of sleep, care for your baby and keep your sanity. Just remember, it does get better and the house will be cleaner. For now, just enjoy that sweet baby and take care of YOU. xo

16. Getting sick really just puts a damper on everything, doesn’t it? I think you did great with the crazy month you had!

17. I don’t think anyone of us ever likes to have to accept our limits. But they are there, and it’s up to us to figure out what we can keep in our lives and what we have to cut loose. It’s never easy, but you are doing so great! You have been on top of everything, and are handling it all like a pro!

18. Hooray for a 5K PR! Can’t wait for the recap. I remember when my kiddos were babies and finding balance and a rhythm was definitely tough in the beginning. Hang in there mama!

19. Janelle @ Run With No Regrets says:

You still did a really great job this month despite having a few days off due to sickness. Please don’t be too hard on yourself! I’m so happy you got that 5K PR too. Balancing it all and accepting your limits is always a challenge, I have to add that to my list too!

20. You are not alone with getting overwhelmed by your “new normal”! Just do the best you can for now, and eventually, you will definitely find a groove and be able to fit everything in. I’m just now feeling that way (13 months out!), so just know it’s coming!