ZOOMA Annapolis Half Marathon Training Log – Week 11

This past week was another one of those weeks that makes me so thankful that I have extra time built into my training plan.  I only got to run once last week, which was far from my plan or my usual routine.  Why did I only run once?  Let’s go through the week day by day.

Last Monday was little man’s first day of daycare.  Preston dropped him off, and I planned to leave work in time to pick him up around 4:00.  I was so excited to walk in and see him that afternoon, and was very pleased to hear from his teachers that he’d had a great first day.  All of his teachers said that he had been a very happy boy.  That report was music to my ears!  So how did we celebrate?  With a long mommy-baby walk, during which we ran to the grocery store to pick up a couple of things.

To celebrate a great first day, little man wore his Mickey Mouse onesie while we went for our mommy-baby walk

Tuesday afternoon I was just as eager to pick little man up.  I arrived just as one of his teachers had started giving him a bottle, so instead of interrupting his feeding, his teacher passed him to me, and we sat in one of the rocking chairs while he finished his bottle.  It was great to be able to spend some time with my little man in his classroom and for me to be able to get to know his teachers and classmates a little bit more.  Although I was absolutely exhausted, when Preston got home from work I still dragged my butt out the door for my planned run.  It was one of those runs that I had to talk myself into still going out for, but once I was out there, I was very happy that I had completed it.

Even though I was tired going into my run, I was reminded during Tuesday evening's run why I love running

Even though I was tired going into my run, I was reminded during Tuesday evening’s run why I love running

Tuesday night after my run I felt even more run down than I had before I started my run.  I had a sneaking suspicion that I wasn’t just tired, that I was getting sick.  Sadly, my suspicion was correct, and overnight my throat started to get sore and I became congested.

Wednesday at work I became more and more congested as the day wore on.  I debated going to my scheduled chiropractor appointment after work, but wound up still going since in the past when I’ve been sick I’ve sometimes felt better after my adjustment.  Unfortunately, I don’t think my adjustment helped in terms of making me feel less sick.

Thursday morning I woke up completely worn down and absolutely dreading going to work.  But since I depleted my sick leave in order to maximize my maternity leave, and I’ve only been back for three weeks, I was left with no choice but to drag myself to school.  Towards the end of my first class I felt even more miserable, and started to suspect that I had a fever.  I sent a coworker an e-mail who has her planning period during that class, asking if she could come to my classroom to watch my students for a few minutes so that I could go to the school clinic and have the nurse take my temperature.  When I walked into the clinic, the nurse said that she could tell that I had a fever before even taking my temperature, and the thermometer confirmed what she and I had both suspected.  I left the clinic in search of my Assistant Principal, and an hour later he had secured coverage for the rest of my classes that day and I was on my way out the door.  At the suggestion of the nurse at little man’s pediatrician (I called to find out what I could take since I’m breastfeeding), I headed straight to urgent care to rule out strep throat.  Thankfully, my strep test was negative.

Since I woke up fever free Friday morning, I headed back to work, sounding worse than I had been the day before.  My congestion was worse, and as the day progressed I moved closer and closer to losing my voice.  Students in my first class asked why I hadn’t just stayed home again, which led to a discussion about how being a responsible adult means that you can’t just stay home whenever you want to.

Saturday and Sunday I laid low at home, trying to find a balance between helping Preston take care of little man while not overdoing it.  The irony of his first week of daycare is that we had thought that little man would be the one to get sick, not me.  Both he and Preston are still symptom free, and we’re hoping it’ll stay that way.  This past week was far from how I wanted it to go, and I know that the lack of mileage means that I likely won’t meet my monthly mileage goal.  My main focus for this coming week is to slowly but surely get back out there, starting with some walking, and hopefully I’ll still be able to complete my planned 10.5 mile run next weekend.

Mon 4/11 – 2.56 mile walk

Tues 4/12 – 3.75 mile run, 0.38 mile cool down walk

Wed 4/13-Sun 4/17 – Rest days

Total Weekly Mileage – 6.69 miles (11.14 miles less than week 10)

Total ZOOMA Mileage – 168.12 miles

QOTD: What setbacks, if any, did you face this past week?

I’m linking up with Holly from HoHo Runs and Tricia from MissSippiPiddlin for the Weekly Wrap link up.  Be sure to check out their posts as well.

WeeklyWrap

This entry was posted in Training, ZOOMA Annapolis Half Marathon Training and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

48 Responses to ZOOMA Annapolis Half Marathon Training Log – Week 11

So glad your son has stayed well during his first week at daycare. Unfortunately for you, being in your school setting you are also susceptible to so many things. Hopefully lots of rest over the weekend has helped you feel better and ready for the workweek. By the way, I love that you told your students about being a responsible adult.

• Unfortunately I work in an environment where I encounter lots of germs. I tend to get sick every September a couple of weeks into the new school year so I’m not surprised that I got sick a couple of weeks after returning from maternity leave.

2. There’s so much crud going around right now–it’s hard to dodge it no matter how careful you are. Take it easy and rest! The race will be there.

3. laurenweiner says:

Sorry you aren’t feeling well… a lot of people have the crud. What a great lesson for your students though! I had a few setbacks this week as well with life getting in the way. You have been doing absolutely great recently, and maybe the rest while you were sick will help you come back stronger!

4. Hope you are feeling better this week! Seems like there is a lot of that going around

5. I sure hope you are feeling better this week. We all had the ‘funk’ a couple weeks ago, yuck!

I hope you feel better soon! I’m glad to hear that the baby and Preston were symptom free.

7. I’m sorry it wasn’t good for you this week, and hope you feel better soon. Weirdly as the weather gets nicer, it seems like there are more bugs going around. No fun!

8. Janelle @ Run With No Regrets says:

Oh, sorry to hear that you’ve been sick. I’m glad the little one is adjusting to school well and is in good health! Don’t be too hard on yourself for missing a few runs (been there!). You’re still right on track for ZOOMA in the long run!

You could’ve gotten sick from your students. People aren’t coughing anymore in my office, but who knows what’s in the air. Being a responsible adult stinks doesn’t it? Sometimes I wish I could go back to being a kid.

10. Great job! My hip has been tweaked a bit so back to PT exercises for me!

11. Ana says:

Take care of yourself! You will be back running in no time!

I’m glad that first week of daycare went well!

12. Be sure to take care of yourself. Your little man needs you now more than ever! 🙂

13. Like everyone has said, YES, take it easy on your self and your training. You have a solid base, so a few days (or a week) will not set you back. Chin UP!!

14. Aw, I’m sorry you came down with something. It’s so hard when all our plans get derailed with something over which we have no control. Feel better and take it easy. You will get those miles back.

15. Oh you poor girl. My sisters always say that its not fair a mom has to get sick, because life never stops for mom:)
    I think spending time with the little guy and skipping a run was probably some great mommy and son time, great memories to cherish!
    I hope you do start feeling better soon! I bet it’s hard sometimes being a teacher and all the germs the kids bring into your classroom! Feel better, so you can get a few runs in and enjoy some walks with your cute son!

16. I hope you are feeling better! I hope little man continues to enjoy day care and that neither he or Preston catch your fever. Get well soon!

17. Carmyy says:

I thought my groin strain came back last week! Luckily it was just a tight back but holy crap I was terrified

Hope you are feeling better!!

Oh no! I’m so sorry you got sick…and you’re right about the irony – it’s usually the kid who gets sick from daycare! Glad you’re feeling better and your little boy and husband are still symptom free!!

20. i hope you’re feeling better! being sick is the worst, my mom has been fighting something for the past week and a half, the doctors don’t know what it is just that it’s some sort of bacterial infection. hope you’re back to normal quickly!

21. thebarbella says:

Hope you get to feeling better quickly! I strained a back muscle last week so had to take a back seat with training for a few days.

22. I’m so very glad to hear little man had a great first day! I know that news is very comforting to you!!! Sorry to hear your under the weather and I hope you are feeling a lot better! Thanks Kathryn for your continued support of Weekly Wrap!

23. HoHo Runs says:

I hope you are feeling better now and can get back to your training this week. A walk was the perfect way to cap off Little Man’s first day of daycare. He is just so cute in that Mickey Mouse onesie! It looks like you wear Mizuno Inspires? I’m a die-hard fan! Thanks for linking with us Kathryn.

24. I hope you are feeling better! Sometimes these setbacks aren’t a bad thing, our body is telling us it needs rest!