ZOOMA Annapolis Half Marathon Training Log – Week 10

Its hard to believe that I’m only eight weeks away from running my postpartum goal race.  Eight weeks from this past Saturday, I’ll be taking on the streets of Annapolis, not only running a new to me race, but also running in a city that I’ve never run in before.  A whole host of feelings about running ZOOMA Annapolis hit me really hard this past weekend, partly brought on by the fact that little man’s first day of daycare is today.

My return to running has been going way better than I ever imagined.  I know I’ve accomplished quite a bit since giving birth to little man back in December, and my sense of accomplishment was heightened this past Tuesday when I met my April goal to run a sub 31 minute 5k.  Not only did I meet this goal early on in the month, but I crushed it with a finish time of 30:08.  I also happened to set a new 5k PR Tuesday evening.  Its hard to believe that I’m only nine seconds away from running my first sub 30 minute 5k.  I never thought I’d ever get anywhere close to running a sub 30 minute 5k when I first started running in 2013, and being as close as I am right now makes me want it that much more.

Tuesday evening after setting my 5k PR

Tuesday evening after setting my 5k PR

After having to skip my long run two weeks ago due to a headache followed by time constraints, its been quite exhilarating to have back to back weeks of longer runs.  After making up my missed six mile run last week, I set out yesterday to run nine miles.  I had initially planned to complete my long run Saturday morning, but when I woke up to a cold, dreary day, which even included snowflakes (hello, isn’t it April?!?), I decided to postpone my run to Sunday afternoon.  It wound up being a gorgeous day, with lots of runners and walkers out on the trail taking advantage of the beautiful day.  There were even lots of geese who decided to join in on the fun, and I lost track of the number of geese that I passed while out running.

9.02 mile run

The 96 minutes that I ran for yesterday flew by, partly because of all the geese that I saw while out running

Training for ZOOMA has been an interesting experience.  Obviously, its the first time that I’m training for a race post pregnancy, and since this training cycle and race marks my return to running, I’m trying to find a balance between working on both my speed and endurance simultaneously.  This is the first training cycle that I’ve focused on both, even though I’m utilizing the same 18 week training plan that I’ve used to train for previous half marathons.  I’d like to continue to have successful training weeks like I’ve had this past week, or find time for even more training since I only got to work on strength training once despite twice a week being my monthly goal.  I’m trying to be optimistic that I’ll continue to have as successful of a training cycle as I’ve had up until this point, but I know that the reality is that at some point balancing all of the demands that I have to give my attention to will affect my running.  While I’m trying to remain optimistic that I’ll be able to continue to balance everything, I’m also trying to be realistic, especially since part of what’s allowed me to make my running a priority has been sacrificing time that I could instead be devoting to housework.  I’m interested to see if I’m able to keep up with my plan this coming week, now that daycare is being added to our daily schedule.  We shall see what happens!

Mon 4/4 – Rest day

Tues 4/5 – 3.10 mile run, 0.29 mile cool down walk

Wed 4/6 – 20 minutes on the elliptical, 40 minutes of weight training (upper body, lower body, abs)

Thurs 4/7 – 3.20 mile run, 0.32 mile cool down walk

Fri 4/8 – Rest day

Sat 4/9 – Rest day

Sun 4/10 – 9.02 mile run, 0.31 mile cool down walk

Total Weekly Mileage – 17.83 miles (1.44 miles more than week 9)

Total ZOOMA Mileage – 161.43 miles

QOTD: Because I want to celebrate everybody’s accomplishments, what’s something you’ve recently accomplished that you’re proud of?

I’m linking up with Holly from HoHo Runs and Tricia from MissSippiPiddlin for the Weekly Wrap link up.  Be sure to check out their posts as well.

WeeklyWrap

This entry was posted in Training, ZOOMA Annapolis Half Marathon Training and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

47 Responses to ZOOMA Annapolis Half Marathon Training Log – Week 10

1. I bet putting in that longer mileage felt great! I always love when I do a long run after some time off.

Good luck today! Bring lots of tissues. And you will be so glad to see him at the end of the day. Thoughts of that will keep you going! Hugs!

Were the geese docile? I’ve been hissed at by geese in Colorado, so if I’m running near a flock, I give them a wide berth.
    Good luck with daycare!

3. Good luck today with little man 🙂 I guess I’m proud of juggling everything going on in my life recently, from work to personal obligations, even if I don’t always feel like I’m handling it well enough.

Sounds like a great week! Which trail was the 9 miler on? Good luck with everything this week 🙂

5. I can’t believe you’re already up to 9 miles! You’re doing amazing!

To believe the races already almost here! Great job in your training and accomplishing so many goals! Best of luck!

7. Wow, 9 miles already?! You’re doing AMAZING! Seriously inspirational, especially for those of us who don’t have a kiddo at home and yet still somehow can’t manage to stay on top of our training plans (or anything else for that matter), lol. Sounds like you’re striking a great balance with everything. WTG! 😀

8. Stephanie says:

You are doing amazing with your training, good luck this week!

9. Wow you are really crushing the training already! I’ve done that race a few times and Annapolis is a fun place to run. That was my first half a few years back

10. Ana says:

I hope everything went well with the first drop off this morning! I still look forward to pick up at the end of the day, because everything will be great again once I have my kid with me!

11. It’s been fun to watch you build your mileage…what a great comeback!

12. You’re doing awesome! I’m so glad you’re able to find that delicate balance between getting back out there, working on speed and working on endurance. You are going to see all that hard work pay off in Annapolis!

Nothing fantastic to report here. I will try to start running again on Tuesday, and I’m sort of not looking forward to how awful that’s going to be LOL!

13. HoHo Runs says:

Woo Hoo! Look at that 30:08. You’ll be below 30 in no time! I find it quite difficult to focus on both speed and distance. I’ve had people tell me I need to choose. But I don’t want to. I’ll be the first to admit I don’t sit around and clean house on the weekend. Umm…why should I? And, if something has to give and I’d rather it be that than anything else. You are so inspirational to be training for your race with a little one. Keep up the amazing work. Thanks for linking with us Kathryn.

14. Coco says:

Annapolis is a really pretty place to run – you will love it! Good luck with the daycare transition – and remember it is a transition that will take time to adjust/get used to.

15. Jessica says:

Golly I’d love to run 9 miles. I need to start training!

16. Great job getting your 5k down to 30 minutes and some change. You are so Close. You got this Kathryn! Good job in your long run. Nice weather always helps. It was cold here this wkend in PA too w snow on Sat. Crazy for April!

17. Woot, Woot, on hitting your April goal!
    Your doing so awesome, look at your times!
    You have such a cute little guy, I saw a picture on FB today and was thinking he was such a cutie. Hope the daycare transition goes great, I have no doubt you’ll figure out how to fit it all in. Besides, who needs housework done anyway, right, LOL

18. carmyy says:

Great week! My accomplishment this week was probably my long run! 23K done!

19. MCM Mama says:

You are doing great! I can’t wait to cheer you on at ZOOMA – I’m only doing the 10k so that I can have fun and hang out at the finish line. LOL

20. I hope the first day of daycare went really well for the both of you! Kathryn, you are doing amazing so quickly after giving birth! Awesome job on the 5k, they are the hardest for me.
    I’m passing on the accomplishment of the week to my husband who just ran in his first 8k! I’m so very proud of him!

21. Janelle @ Run With No Regrets says:

I’m so glad to see that your training has been going so well! You’re close to getting that sub-30 5K, I’m sure you’ll get it very soon! I haven’t had a child, but even without one I totally understand how busy things get and prioritizing can be such a challenge. I’m glad things are going well! I’m still bummed that I won’t be at ZOOMA this year but I’ll be cheering you on!

22. Amanda says:

Wow! Good job making such a quick return to racing. I have my first half marathon post baby in two weeks, and i ran my first race pp last weekend! I am so happy to be running again.

23. Great job girly! Hope you’re having a great week and that little man loves daycare!