Friday Five – Potpourri v. 13

The past two weeks being back at work have just been a blur.  I finally feel like I’m starting to get back into my work routine, though I know that routine will change again next week when little man gets dropped off for his first day of daycare on Monday.  It certainly hasn’t been easy to balance everything being back at work, but I’m just doing the best that I can to stay afloat.

Trying to stay focused on the things that make me happy is one of the ways that I’ve been able to cope with being back at work.  Some of the things that have made me happy over the past two weeks include:

1.  Its finally baseball season again!  Not only are spring and summer my favorite seasons of the year, but my favorite professional sport to watch is baseball.  Even though spring officially starts in March, I feel like it really starts in April once baseball season is underway.

Both of my boys sporting some of their favorite baseball attire

Both of my boys sporting some of their favorite baseball attire earlier this week

2.  Little man recently discovered his voice.  Its so fun to watch him react to various things and hear the excitement in his voice as he plays, rolls around, and interacts with his toys.

3.  Having my mom here for almost a week and a half has been absolutely wonderful.  Preston and I are extremely grateful for her willingness to come help take care of little man during my transition back to work.  It’ll definitely be bittersweet when I drop her off at the airport Saturday afternoon.

4.  Now that little man has started developing a personality, I’ve made it a priority to take videos of him in addition to taking oodles of pictures of him.  Watching the videos of him on my phone always brings a smile to my face.  I mean, how can you not smile when you hear a baby’s giggle or see them smile?

5.  Thinking about how much progress I’ve made since I was cleared to resume running at the end of January.  If you follow me on social media then you may already know that on Tuesday I got a new 5k PR.  My PR was completely unexpected, and while I’m still trying to process what has allowed me to make the running progress that I have since having little man (I plan to write a blog post about this in the near future), for now I’m enjoying basking in the glory of my recent accomplishment.

Not only did I meet my April goal Tuesday tonight of running a sub 31-min 5k but I even got an unexpected PR!

QOTD: What is currently making you happy?

DC-Trifecta-Friday-Five-linkup

This entry was posted in Miscellaneous, Training and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

38 Responses to Friday Five – Potpourri v. 13

1. Sending you lots of hugs for Monday (and tissues!). You’re doing great. It’s tough juggling everything, but you just get better and better at it! Good luck, mama! ❤

Wow, congrats on that 5k PR! And the videos of the baby are a great idea :). It’s grea technology makes things like that so easy now.

3. Tia says:

Congratulations on hitting your goal and setting a new PR! Even with going back to work you know you’re heading in the right direction! I wish the best, least emotional drop off on Monday. The blessing is that it’s only for a short time until school ends and summer break begins!

Quick question. What tyou of Garmin watch are you using? You may have a post about it I’ve just have yet to find it.

It may sound strange, but PT is making me happy. I’m working towards getting stronger and my physical therapist said stronger would mean faster times down the line.

5. I’m sure having your mom there is a great help! Great pic of your boys! I’m a Phillies fan too. Hope they have a good yr!

6. All three of you are looking good!

7. Ana says:

First day of daycare is rough! I hope it all goes well for you! Sending positive vibes to you on Monday!

Congratulations on your new accomplishment!

8. He’s getting so big!!! I hope both you and little man like day care!

9. Videos are the BEST! Now that my boys are almost 10 & 8 years old, I look back on their baby photos fondly, but ADORE watching the videos I took back in the day! It’s so cool to hear their little voices and see their expressions in action. You will treasure those videos one day!

10. Congrats on that PR! The fact that it’s Friday and I have the weekend with my girls makes me happy. Though my husband has to work all weekend, he is working near home and not away anymore (happy and thankful!)

11. What’s making me happy? Pain-free running!!!! I’m a little stiff from sitting at work (my department recently went “paperless” so I’m sitting ALOT instead of running back & forth to the printer), and those first 10-20 steps right out of bed in the morning are kind of awkward (old age? I did just have a birthday…), but every run has been pain-free in 2016 (even the slow & “not-feeling-it” runs). I’m very excited about my 13.1 happening on may 1st! (congrats on that PR!!)

I think that is great you are taking videos to enjoy later when your son can enjoy them too. The sound of baby gurgles and their squeals of laughter always makes me smile. Great job with the running, you are well on your way after pregnancy. Also, good luck on Monday, hopefully everything goes smoothly.

13. So glad your mom was able to help out. Wow those 2 weeks flew! Good luck with daycare drop off and just think only 2 months to summer!!

14. So great that your mom was able to stay with you! I am so lucky that my mom lived so close and helped me a lot.

15. Awww sending baby off is SO hard. I remember that day. My son is now 11 and I still miss him when I work. 😉 and yes–savor those giggles!! They will soon turn into boy farts and other silly nonsense 😉 CONGRATS on a big PR!! That’s so exciting. You’ve almost broke the 30 minute mark. Woohoo!

16. Staying focused on the happy things is such a great mind set. You’ve got this! And, it really does get easier.

Have a great weekend!

Congrats on the PR! So fun little man is becoming more interactive 🙂

18. you are rocking yoru training! I think you will definitely go sub-30 soon!